Replacement/contractor vs crossing AMFA members

CSAR GYRENE

Veteran
Dec 29, 2005
that place by the thing
Visit site
A recurring theme has crossed many diferent threads here, so I thought I would start a new one for just this debate, thereby freeing up some of the other threads on this board.
There has been much debate about what exactly the difference is between those of us who came here as replacements to the strikers, and those AMFA members who crossed. As most of you know, I have a long history of contracting, but very little experience with union procedures, customs, beliefs and traditions. While I can give very accurate information about the contract side of the house, I must admit whatever I can pass regarding unions is mostly opinion, and primarily based on experiences I have had since coming here to NWA. I welcome reasoned, well thought responses regardless of what side of the picket line your on. I would ask that you keep posts limited to facts as much as possible, and leave the the hyperbole and editorializing to the other threads. Finally, please try and keep it civil. Disagreement is fine, and in fact welcomed, but please act like an adult. Thanks.
Having said all that gobbly gook, I would like to address the premis of this thread, which is the difference between A contract replacement, and a (Former?)AMFA crosser.
First, I would like to dispell a few myths about who we are, exactly, and what our background is. While I dont speak for all of us, I do believe I speak for a plurality.
The number one myth is that we were all a bunch of crack smoking cessna mechanic who havent held our tickets more than a few months. I for one, have never even TRIED so much as one joint in my life. We in fact, probably have to remain more drug free than most union employees for the following reasons: First, we have NO protection if we are caught, second, as most of us travel to new contracts every 6 months or so, its MANDATORY to take a wizz quiz EVERY time we report to a new site. I have heard of directs that have gone years without ever taking a drug test, and when one does pop, instead of firing his druggy a$$ on the spot, they offer counseling and a second, third, or even fourth chance.
As to being a cessna wrench with only a few months experience, well, most of my crew worked in Dothan for years, on the very same NWA tail numbers we're working on now. With 10 years civilian aviation, mostly in heavy overhaul environment, I am one of the JUNIOR guys here.
Another myth is that we are all a bunch of toothless redneck uneducated southern carpetbaggers unable to hold down a job anywhere else. I, for one, was born and raised in Detroit and West Michigan, have a 145 IQ, and have all my teeth but one that shattered during an ascent from an underwater cave in Florida. Now I admit that there are a large number of southerners amongst us, but that is due primarily to the loss of jobs in Dothan created by labor issues both there and here at NWA. I chose to contract because I love the freedom and exitement of being on the go all the time. I guess its a holdover from my days in the Corps when I deployed six out of every 18 months. I have noticed that the bulk of contractors tend to be prior military...this might be one reason. Also, as a general rule, we contractors make considerably more money at a considerably lower tax rate.
There are several more mysths, misconceptions, and stereotypes of us out there, but I will address those as they are brought up. I will now turn to MY impression of the AMFA crossers. Again I re-iterate that these are just OPINIONS, based on observations of only a small sampling, with no control group to compare.
I have become more and more douptful of those former AMFA members here on site. While most seem to be decent enough personalities, I have found thier individual work ethics, over all A and P knowledge, and basic mechanical skills to be somewhat less than us replacement workers. It may be as the strikers claim that these are the lowest of the lot, skill and ethics wise, or they may be a fair representation of the union mentality as a whole. I lean more towards the latter, simply because what little union experience I do have coaberates this. I am, however, willing to give them the benifit of the doupt and assume that I have merely had the misfortune of only seing the worst 10 percent of unions, Crossers or otherwise.
I now turn this forum over to you, to either confirm, or rebutt this post. I will try and respond with all fairness and honesty to any question or comment raised in a fair, honest, and civil manner. Thank you, and I sincerely wish you all well in your endeavors.

...assume that I have merely had the misfortune of only seing the worst 10 percent of unions, Crossers or otherwise.

And I think that is exactly the problem. From what I've heard, the AMFA scabs are the lowest 10% of their group. They're the ones that have no work ethic, low A&P knowledge, and poor mechanical skills. They're probably also people who have failed drug tests before. They're the ones who would have lost their jobs if not for the union. Should they have lost their jobs? Perhaps, but the union is there to protect everyone, even if you deserve it or not. You can't be selective about who's job you fight for.

I think that overall, union members in any profession are intelligent, hard working everyday people. It's the bad apples who take advantage of the system, and also negative stereotypes from the past, that give unions a bad name.

Now I'm sure that some of you, perhaps many of you contractor scabs are fine mechanics, and you probably do know your stuff. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and take your word on your own experience. But from what I've heard, and judging from the cavalier attitude of some of the scabs on this board (not you), there are definately quite a few bad contractors inside at NWA. I'm also sure that some of them are pot smoking alcoholic Cessna mech's (Read: PTO)....

Just kidding.

But in my book, you're all scabs, and that's all I need to know.

Finally, please try and keep it civil. Disagreement is fine, and in fact welcomed, but please act like an adult. Thanks.

Man, as much as I'd like to see this happen, you know that by this evening this thread will have deteriorated into a pointless name-calling match (not that I've ever participated in any of those before :p )

Oh, and CSAR, big :up: on both starting this, and trying to keep it civil.

But in my book, you're all scabs, and that's all I need to know.
Man, as much as I'd like to see this happen, you know that by this evening this thread will have deteriorated into a pointless name-calling match (not that I've ever participated in any of those before :p )

Oh, and CSAR, big :up: on both starting this, and trying to keep it civil.
I'll be the first degenrate to post something pointless.

The difference of SCABS and NON SCABS is like this analogy of -

Circumcised and Uncircumcised.

Outside all you guys look the same. Underneath it all...it's a whole different story. :rolleyes:

I'll be the first degenrate to post something pointless.

The difference of SCABS and NON SCABS is like this analogy of -

Circumcised and Uncircumcised.

Outside all you guys look the same. Underneath it all...it's a whole different story. :rolleyes:
No shield on my helmet thank you very much... :D

Yea i have to agree, those SCABS are like Smegma cheese.. :lol:

I will try and respond with all fairness and honesty to any question or comment raised in a fair, honest, and civil manner. Thank you, and I sincerely wish you all well in your endeavors.

There is no problem with an AMT working for a contractor or a union. The problem comes when either works on struck work. At THAT time the individual loses his/her integrity and is telling the world, "I do NOT care about the future of my craft & profession. I care ONLY about making whatever crumbs I can scrape up working on aircraft where the employer doesn't care about my abilities but solely on my ability to accept the lowest pay & benefits. In essence I am prostituting my profession."

It seems as if SCABS, either contract or ex-union workers will try and rationalize their cowardice and ignore the reality of the damage they are doing to the entire profession.

Your opening this thread does nothing to change the fact that you, and others like you, are SCABS. Your SCABBING will do NOTHING to promote or protect the AMT profession. You and your kind are a cancer and will go through the rest of your life knowing that you are cowards and fear fighting for the betterment of the whole AMT profession. You care only for yourselves.

You are a SCAB & always will be. You do NOT deserve to be among honorable people. I hope this was civil enough. I did not name call. I simply spoke the truth.

:down:
A recurring theme has crossed many diferent threads here, so I thought I would start a new one for just this debate, thereby freeing up some of the other threads on this board.
There has been much debate about what exactly the difference is between those of us who came here as replacements to the strikers, and those AMFA members who crossed. As most of you know, I have a long history of contracting, but very little experience with union procedures, customs, beliefs and traditions. While I can give very accurate information about the contract side of the house, I must admit whatever I can pass regarding unions is mostly opinion, and primarily based on experiences I have had since coming here to NWA. I welcome reasoned, well thought responses regardless of what side of the picket line your on. I would ask that you keep posts limited to facts as much as possible, and leave the the hyperbole and editorializing to the other threads. Finally, please try and keep it civil. Disagreement is fine, and in fact welcomed, but please act like an adult. Thanks.
Having said all that gobbly gook, I would like to address the premis of this thread, which is the difference between A contract replacement, and a (Former?)AMFA crosser.
First, I would like to dispell a few myths about who we are, exactly, and what our background is. While I dont speak for all of us, I do believe I speak for a plurality.
The number one myth is that we were all a bunch of crack smoking cessna mechanic who havent held our tickets more than a few months. I for one, have never even TRIED so much as one joint in my life. We in fact, probably have to remain more drug free than most union employees for the following reasons: First, we have NO protection if we are caught, second, as most of us travel to new contracts every 6 months or so, its MANDATORY to take a wizz quiz EVERY time we report to a new site. I have heard of directs that have gone years without ever taking a drug test, and when one does pop, instead of firing his druggy a$$ on the spot, they offer counseling and a second, third, or even fourth chance.
As to being a cessna wrench with only a few months experience, well, most of my crew worked in Dothan for years, on the very same NWA tail numbers we're working on now. With 10 years civilian aviation, mostly in heavy overhaul environment, I am one of the JUNIOR guys here.
Another myth is that we are all a bunch of toothless redneck uneducated southern carpetbaggers unable to hold down a job anywhere else. I, for one, was born and raised in Detroit and West Michigan, have a 145 IQ, and have all my teeth but one that shattered during an ascent from an underwater cave in Florida. Now I admit that there are a large number of southerners amongst us, but that is due primarily to the loss of jobs in Dothan created by labor issues both there and here at NWA. I chose to contract because I love the freedom and exitement of being on the go all the time. I guess its a holdover from my days in the Corps when I deployed six out of every 18 months. I have noticed that the bulk of contractors tend to be prior military...this might be one reason. Also, as a general rule, we contractors make considerably more money at a considerably lower tax rate.
There are several more mysths, misconceptions, and stereotypes of us out there, but I will address those as they are brought up. I will now turn to MY impression of the AMFA crossers. Again I re-iterate that these are just OPINIONS, based on observations of only a small sampling, with no control group to compare.
I have become more and more douptful of those former AMFA members here on site. While most seem to be decent enough personalities, I have found thier individual work ethics, over all A and P knowledge, and basic mechanical skills to be somewhat less than us replacement workers. It may be as the strikers claim that these are the lowest of the lot, skill and ethics wise, or they may be a fair representation of the union mentality as a whole. I lean more towards the latter, simply because what little union experience I do have coaberates this. I am, however, willing to give them the benifit of the doupt and assume that I have merely had the misfortune of only seing the worst 10 percent of unions, Crossers or otherwise.
I now turn this forum over to you, to either confirm, or rebutt this post. I will try and respond with all fairness and honesty to any question or comment raised in a fair, honest, and civil manner. Thank you, and I sincerely wish you all well in your endeavors.
What separates you from an ex-amfa members who cross their own picket line? Not much, you are both scabs. From what I have seen on local 5 web site of the scabs I knew 12 years ago when I left the God forsaken hell hole is you have a few decent mechanics who have crossed. A lot of worthless mechanics who are to lazy to look for employment else where and were carried by the rest who did most of the work. I have seen the results of dothans work. A/C that sat at a gate for a week after its ferry flt to my old station. We never wanted to touch the junk when it got to us, never wanted to put my number on anything that came out of dothan. Say what you want it was done cheaper for a reason. If scabs are so great how come you don't see the rest of the industry lining up to do the same? Its monkey see monkey do in this business, and if the rest of these great management teams thought it was working they would do it. They see nwa at the bottom, and they are happy with them there. After all they caused most of this mess over the last 10 years trying to drive everyone else out of business by keeping fares low. No low cost competition on 90 % of their routes but they could always get money from the iam, alpa, f/a's. 10 years from now(of course you won't be there or nwa for that matter) with your 1-1.5 % pay increase per year what will your dumb arse's be saying then? Figure in 2012 you will still be under $30 per hour. Living in dtw or msp wondering why you can't buy a 1500 sft house for $400,000. paying car insurance out the wazoo. And if your lucky gas will only be $5 a gal. A wandering band of gypsies followingg little andy around looking to screw more families over. Keep it civil, get FUCKED scab!

Since we're just giving our opinions, here goes...
A SCAB is a SCAB...
You both crossed a legal picket line to perform struck work. Are you receiving a paycheck from a company other than nwa for performing struck work? Are you receiving your paycheck directly from nwa? If the latter then you are a freelance SCAB not a contract SCAB. There is incidentally little difference. Heres a news flash...there are no AMFA SCABS. The "former" AMFA members gave up their union membership when they crossed the picket line. So they are also freelance SCABs. The only difference between them and you is that they already had uniforms and knew where the bathrooms were. As far as technical prowness there isn't much difference either. I too look at the SCAB list and find many a do-nothing employee listed there. Guys who are too lazy to go out and pound the pavement for another job. There is the occasional good worker but it is rare.
CSAR says he worked in DOTHAN....Pleeeaaassseee...spare me! Most of us have seen the work of DOTHAN. Its third rate and we had to do corrections on 9 out of 10 that came in our hangar. We were doing ops check on the emergency deployment of the tail cone (all mods done at DOTHAN) and 9 out of 10 had wrong installations. 1 out of 10 wouldn't even deploy. Not good in a fire! So save us the "we're good technicians too" speech. Felix can't find a wheel spacer in the AMM so he doesn't think its needed.

...First, we have NO protection if we are caught,I have heard of directs that have gone years without ever taking a drug test, and when one does pop, instead of firing his druggy a$$ on the spot, they offer counseling and a second, third, or even fourth chance....

Neither did the union members on the property. If you had a drug test and failed it you were OUT. No second chance or reprieve. If you did have a drug problem and voluntarily called the hotline and sought counselling and rehab then you could keep your job AFTER you were clean. So maybe that was the way they did it in Dothan, but not for nwa.

Baaahahahah!!!! Woohooo!!!! I got a great chuckle out of this delusional CSAR scab post, what a load of excrement. I think you even passed PlaytheCods on the nonsensical BS scab-o-meter. A 145 IQ huh? Well, that is very impressive! However, if that's the case CSAR scab, your by far underachieving your earning potential as a lowly scab. Your a really gawd damn genuis dude!!! :lol: :rolleyes: You must also be a member of MENSA, since your now the ultimate professor of BS at Scab Air... :lol: :lol:
Here are the IQ chart numbers;

* 115-124 - Above average (e.g., university students)
* 125-134 - Gifted (e.g., post-graduate students)
* 135-144 - Highly gifted (e.g., intellectuals)
* 145-154 - Genius (e.g., professors) What, No SCABS????
* 155-164 - Genius (e.g., Nobel Prize winners)
* 165-179 - High genius
* 180-200 - Highest genius
* >200 - "Unmeasurable genius"
I am with the utmost certainty stating that you CSAR scab do not fit in any of the above catagories....but you keep on dreaming....and keep me grinning wide. :huh:

If you worked at Pimpco CSAR scab, then you might have turned out some of the poorest aircraft repair work I have ever witnessed. I've observed some of it, it was not pretty by any stretch, some of which was unbelieveable and unsafe. I wouldn't send my umbrella there for a patch job. There are some contracters that are good, I have friends that do it. Most contractors however are the bottom of the barrel, cheapo and dangerous. Like Timcrapo in Arizona. No equipment, no clue, takes them forever to do anything, and then its sub-standard. What takes them weeks, we can accomplish in hours and days. Most wrench gypsy's were unable to meet a major airlines strict requirements for whatever reason to get hired on, or they would be here. Like you are now as a scab. I know if you had even a DWI back when I got hired, you were bypassed. Anyone who wants to live like a wrench gypsy is either a liar, hates his wife/family, has a record, fired from the majors, young and single just starting out, or just doesn't know any better. To state contractors make more money than at a major is a joke. Before 9/11, many major employed AMT's were in the 80-90k range with overtime, some over a 100k. Your dreaming if a contractor would even be within 30k of that at best. I guess you think union airline AMT's don't know about the contractor MRO world or know anybody trapped in it. Wrong again. Contractors are not mysterious, misunderstood, or stereotyped. We know all too well about the contractor wrench gypsy world.

Now we come to the scab subject. As I have repeatedly stated, most of the first scabs that crossed were ex-IAM cultists. True, a number of scabs were active AMFA members who just didn't have the stones to stand up to the Scab Air bullies, so they went back for another beating. You have cowards in every group. AMFA really expected more to cross, so did I. I have discussed with my ex-NWA friends if they would ever return to the Scab Air mess, they all said never again. They have moved on, Scab Air is no place to build a future...there isn't one. They know that being a life long labled scab reduces your employment chances, as you have no morals or loyalty. It reduces you quality of life also, because your not to be trusted. In the end a scab is a scab, one and the same, scum not worthy of a squirt of dog piss. I know of some EAL scabs, they are still shunned and talked about today, with good reason. The lowest forms of AMT backwash are at Scab Air, all the topline mechanics are on strike and bailed out to other careers. All thats left is the dregs of the scab world. With the fuel prices setting records, the mishaps and maintenance blunders Scab Air continues to have, draconian management, Chapter 7 is coming for you and your scab friends IMHO. Scab Air continues to lose huge amounts of money, and it can't get financing with a strike still going. Scab Air aircraft are mostly junk gas-guzzlers and new aircraft are out of reach. The future of your Scab Air career looks very grim to say the least CSAR scab.

As a scab corporate whore, you have helped lower the AMT professions standards, wages, benefits, and moral. You have assisted management thugs in their attack on our profession, the race to the bottom, while they enrich themselves. You are the ememy of my craft, because scabs will never lead our craft into the future. A scab will only destroy it and tear it down, as your doing now. Unfortunately, I will never wish you well CSAR scab, hopefully you will reap what you have sewn. :down:

I would ask that you keep posts limited to facts

Well here is a fact:

A normal intelligence quotient (IQ) ranges from 85 to 115 (According to the Stanford-Binet scale). Only approximately 1% of the people in the world have an IQ of 135 or over.

Now why would a dumb ex-jarhead wrench gypsy with a Genius IQ of 145 be SCABBING at a defunct Airline? Geez man, your in a league with Albert Einstein, As Hackman said your selling your earning potential way short. I don't think the rest of your post is even worthy of commenting on CSAR. No doubt you equalled or perhaps even surpassed PlayTheOdds on the Bull Excrement Meter with this gym of a post.

"It takes a wise man to handle a lie. A fool had better remain honest."

gen·ius (jēn'yes)
n., pl. -ius·es.

(1)Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.

a.) A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: “One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius” (Simone de Beauvoir).
b.) A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

In my honest opinion, there is no difference between an AMF crossover and a scab hired off the street. They are all scabs. any union or union personell that crosses the line and performs struck work is a scab and will always be a scab. that includes the IAM at NWA who are performing struck work. They are a scab union because their so called leadership allows them to perform work that a striking AMFA was going to do had mgmt not of done what they had done.

....that includes the IAM at NWA who are performing struck work. They are a scab union because their so called leadership allows them to perform work that a striking AMFA was going to do....

Thank you Robbed! What troubles me about the IAM members on nwa property is that none of them seem to object to what they are doing. Hook, line and sinker they swallowed what Bobby DePace fed them and think that they have regained something...when in truth they are now doing more work than they ever did for less pay than they ever received. Sorry to get off subject again but it just frosts me :angry:

...I, for one, was born and raised in Detroit and West Michigan, have a 145 IQ, and have all my teeth...I guess its a holdover from my days in the Corps...

I has been my experience as a human with "normal" intelligence that most people with high IQs are the most lacking in common sense. CSAR GYRENE a case in point.
There are lots of jobs that give him the freedom to travel and yet he, being raised in Detroit, chooses to SCAB. Also I wonder what your fellow Marines (the ones with HONOR) that are standing on the picket line think of CSAR the Marine crossing the picket line and trampling on their HONOR in order to serve the almighty dollar. I think your actions at nwa actually bring shame upon you and your history in the Corps.