Who wants a merger with AA?

Do US employees want to merge with American Airlines?

• Yes

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • I'd consider a merger if it did not involve American Airlines.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
It's nice to hear that AA gives retirees the same priority as employees, all based on date of hire. As an aspiring retiree, I think that's the fair way to do it. The only time a pass riding employee should be given priority is if he/she is commuting to work. Not from work. There should be a specific category to cover employees going to work ahead of employees/retirees doing liesure travel.

No commuting employee should be given preference over another employee on active status, it is an employee's choice weather or not they live where they work like most other employees have to do. It's not my problem if you want to live in Birmingham and work in LAX/ORD/DFW/CLT/PHL. I'll be darned if the last seat goes to a "commuter" and I have a wedding or other family event or paid for vacation to go to. Funny how only pilots and flight attendants feel this way...

No commuting employee should be given preference over another employee on active status, it is an employee's choice weather or not they live where they work like most other employees have to do. It's not my problem if you want to live in Birmingham and work in LAX/ORD/DFW/CLT/PHL. I'll be darned if the last seat goes to a "commuter" and I have a wedding or other family event or paid for vacation to go to. Funny how only pilots and flight attendants feel this way...
Yes but sometimes you're FORCED to commute! I was very happy in Boston for 20 years. I was born and raised there and this is where my life is. Then US decided to close our crew base in 2010 and now need 3 or 4 hotels just to keep the operation running in BOS. I'm not sure what you do as an airline employee but you may not feel that way if, out of the blue.. they decide to close your base to save a few pennies.

The AA system is much better than what we have now. America West had the same methodology befor the acquisition of US Airways. It should be in the order of check-in.
DOH was not accepted for our pilot integration, not now or with the AA meger, so it should not be used in boarding priority.

DOH!

It's nice to hear that AA gives retirees the same priority as employees, all based on date of hire. As an aspiring retiree, I think that's the fair way to do it. The only time a pass riding employee should be given priority is if he/she is commuting to work. Not from work. There should be a specific category to cover employees going to work ahead of employees/retirees doing liesure travel.

Active employees should always have boarding priority over retired employees. While the retiree's work in building the company is appreciated, the active employee's work in maintaining and further building the company should prevail commuting or not. Always.

Yes but sometimes you're FORCED to commute! I was very happy in Boston for 20 years. I was born and raised there and this is where my life is. Then US decided to close our crew base in 2010 and now need 3 or 4 hotels just to keep the operation running in BOS. I'm not sure what you do as an airline employee but you may not feel that way if, out of the blue.. they decide to close your base to save a few pennies.
Sorry but it is true . You choose to commute . I commute from FLL . I choose to commute . You work for an airline . Things like this happens . When you were hired they asked you if you were willing to relocate and be flexible . What was your answer ? I am sure it wasn't no . I am sorry that they closed your base but as commuters , we should not be given preference over someone who is not commuting . But I do believe it should be done by Date Of Hire .

Reactions: 1 person

The commuter is going to work to help keep a company running so that you can have a wedding to go to.

Sorry but it is true . You choose to commute . I commute from FLL . I choose to commute . You work for an airline . Things like this happens . When you were hired they asked you if you were willing to relocate and be flexible . What was your answer ? I am sure it wasn't no . I am sorry that they closed your base but as commuters , we should not be given preference over someone who is not commuting . But I do believe it should be done by Date Of Hire .
I'm not asking for priority over other active employees but we should go ahead of retirees and dependants. Not sure how I feel about the DOH boarding process as long as there is a jump seat. I'm on it exclusively from May-Aug anyways

You were not FORCED to do anything. You had 3 choices:
1. Move to your new base
2. Stay in BOS with USairways and commute
3. Stay in BOS and leave USAirways.

Like the company chose to close the base to save costs, you chose to stay in BOS and commute so that you could stay at your home and with your job.

Reactions: 2 people
My guess is that if commuters were given priority over other people non-revving, some (or many) of those commuters would abuse that privilege by saying they are commuting when they really aren't.

You were not FORCED to do anything. You had 3 choices:
1. Move to your new base
2. Stay in BOS with USairways and commute
3. Stay in BOS and leave USAirways.

Like the company chose to close the base to save costs, you chose to stay in BOS and commute so that you could stay at your home and with your job.
I disagree. I was hired in BOS in 1988. They were the largest carrier at the time and are still #2 domestically. If I had lived in Florida when I was hired, that would be a choice. Those that had bases and were closed were FORCED to make a choice. Those that lived in Florida, etc. that never had a base but decided to work for US anyway chose to do so.

My guess is that if commuters were given priority over other people non-revving, some (or many) of those commuters would abuse that privilege by saying they are commuting when they really aren't.
It would be very easy to prove whether or not you are working a trip when commuting

Those that had bases and were closed were FORCED to make a choice.

Exactly--while you did have to make a choice you CHOSE to not get a different job, stay in BOS, and commute. The benefits for the other thousands of employees should be not be diminished because of choices made by commuters.

Exactly--you made a CHOICE to not get a different job, stay in BOS, and commute. The benefits for the other thousands of employees should be not be diminished because of choices made by commuters.
As I stated in an earlier post.. I'm not looking for priority over other EMPLOYEES. Retirees and dependants should go below ALL active employees

If you have a wedding, or a paid for vacation, you are plain stupid if you haven't purchased a ticket....and you deserve to get bumped.