You're balking up the wrong tree

Nov 23, 2005
As a former airline employee, and now happily retired, I have been reading some of your messages about NWA and how it is abusing most of you.

I think you have a beef with your union and not NWA.

You all work for your union.

Your union got together with the Management of NWA and worked out a deal called a contract which spelled out what the union would do and what NWA would do. As part of this contract, your union agreed to provide manpower to do work for NWA. Therefore, you work for your union.

You should now be complaining about what your union did or did not do for you.

You have no complaint with NWA. They have only hired your union or fired your union. Your complaint should be with your union.

Unions do not provide jobs, they only fill them.

You are only a commodity.

If NWA doesn't like the product of a food supplier, they get another food supplier.

If NWA signs a contract with a company to produce a bolt with a specific length and thread pitch and the company makes the bolt wrong, NWA can fire the bolt company and get the bolt elsewhere.

You talk like you are irreplaceable. NOBODY IS IRREPLACEABLE! PERIOD!

You've got the wrong dog in this fight and you're going to lose.

If the employee interviews with NWA and then gets hired by NWA and then wears an NWA employee badge then he or she works for NWA. Very simple. The unions do not inteview or hire employess. That is NWAs job. Get your head out of the sand!

Can a person do a union person's job without belonging to the union?

No, of course not.

Can NWA terminate a union person at will?

No, of course not.

Do each of you have a separate contract with NWA?

No, of course not.

The union doesn't interview and hire. They wouldn't know how to do that. They just send people to NWA for them to employ.

The union bosses are too busy figuring out how to spend your dues, where to buy their expensive cigars, what kind of limos to buy, etc.

SPG,you're the one with your head in the sand.

You guys are the whores and the union bosses are your pimps.

I hope you are looking for a new job to put food on the table. The union pantry doesn't hold much.

SPG,you're the one with your head in the sand.
Jim,
This is the problem. See, these guys do have their heads in the sand and therefore they don't see how the union has taken advantage of them. They pay all these dues and what do they get? Nothing, except a cardboard sign to carry. To the people in their little circle they look like heros :lol: , but to the rest of the world they are the laughing stock. I'm sure those cardboard signs have put the fear of god :lol: :p in all the passengers walking into the terminals. Give it up boys, the fat lady has sung. BTW, they just had a sweep of illegals at Wal-Mart, so there is sure to be some job openings. It's a going to be a long winter carrying that cardboard sign.

Kev3188:

Could you have gone to NWA without the union's "blessing" and gotten the same job?????

The union bosses had to put their "blessing" on you and then revise their P&L sheet for their added revenues.

Whoppee, Kev3188's working so we can go on vacation.

I'd like to know how someone is "balking up the wrong tree"?

I "balk" at many things, but never at trees....
:lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

I think its a good thing flight planner jim is retired, NWA doesn't need anymore mistakes in its flight planning. :huh:

Kev3188:

Could you have gone to NWA without the union's "blessing" and gotten the same job?????

The union bosses had to put their "blessing" on you and then revise their P&L sheet for their added revenues.
Whoppee, Kev3188's working so we can go on vacation.

Not only could I have gone and got the job I have, I did get the job I have without the IAM's consent. They didn't know me from Adam. Again, the people in HR at NWA are the ones doing the hiring; not ALPA, AMFA, ATSA, IAM,NAMA, TWU, PFAA, etc. The unions do not choose who comes onto the property.

Do they get revenue from me? Of course-they get it every month. In exchange, I have received (up 'til now), decent wages, benefits, etc.

Serious question(s) here:

What's your point with all of this? You're retired, right? Why aren't you out enjoying it? What does what any active employee does have to do with you? Are you concerned that the BK filing is going to decimate your retiree benefits?

What's your point with all of this? You're retired, right? Why aren't you out enjoying it? What does what any active employee does have to do with you? Are you concerned that the BK filing is going to decimate your retiree benefits?

Jim's a retired TWA flight planner with an axe to grind against unions. He's just found a new BB to spread his bile on.

Jim knows that the majority of airline workers whose jobs are covered by a union don't become members until AFTER they're hired, but he's never been one to let reality to get in the way of one of his diatribes. He gets all his information on unions from old Marlon Brando movies, so you're wasting your time talking about the real world with Jim.

Having worked for a completely different airline and having never been in a union makes Jim an expert on union issues at NWA. Just ask him...

No BK has any effect on what I say or do.

I just hate to see people led around like lemmings and told what to do and think.

I just hate to see people making money off of other people's hardships.

Unions were good in their time.

I can remember as a boy seeing all the men in the neighborhood going to work every morning in either the mines or the mills.

That was before we had all the government regulations we have today.

I'd almost think that the economic model for today's unions is AMWAY. Line up enough grunts doing work and skim the cream off the top for a living.

Why doesn't the union have a training program to equip you with new skills and then they go out and market you to a new company? Can't they do that? Shouldn't they?

I just think that the unions don't have your best interests in their minds.

You've put your lives in their hands but their hands are too busy counting their money.

The union doesn't hire, the company is allowed to run their operation. If you don't like it, you can grieve it, that's all. They can't figure out how to run an airline, they just fire people. They spent a couple of hundred million to break what was left of a weak union after they got rid of two thirds of their membership illeagaly. And you blame "bosses"? It doesn't look like the ink was dry on the 2000 contract before NWA management was looking for a battle royale. That's bargining in bad faith, but it's OK as long as you are a business. If it was the "bosses" they would be in jail.

Latest posts