You're balking up the wrong tree

I just hate to see people led around like lemmings and told what to do and think.

So you just dropped by to tell them what to do and think yourself?

Why doesn't the union have a training program to equip you with new skills and then they go out and market you to a new company? Can't they do that? Shouldn't they?

Weren't you just complaining about unions doing just that? Make up your mind.

It's top notch thinking like FPJ's that made TWA the great company it is today!

Our unions seem to be doing better than your airlines, union representation is far higher in the northeast than elsewhere, except maybe the west coast. To me the shame is we live in the richest country in the world but our people are supposed to take a back seat and do more for less while they rich get richer. I never expected to be a millionaire turning a wrench, I just wanted to make a decent living. And thanks to guys like you we never will in this business.

Bagbelt, I honestly believe all of this is going to turn around. The aviation industry has always operated in cycles. We are not at the bottom side of the cycle yet but it is getting close. The aviation industry is going to explode in the next two to three years. The pay will increase there is no doubt about it.

No BK has any effect on what I say or do.

I just hate to see people led around like lemmings and told what to do and think.

I just hate to see people making money off of other people's hardships.

Unions were good in their time.

I can remember as a boy seeing all the men in the neighborhood going to work every morning in either the mines or the mills.

That was before we had all the government regulations we have today.

I'd almost think that the economic model for today's unions is AMWAY. Line up enough grunts doing work and skim the cream off the top for a living.

Why doesn't the union have a training program to equip you with new skills and then they go out and market you to a new company? Can't they do that? Shouldn't they?

I just think that the unions don't have your best interests in their minds.

You've put your lives in their hands but their hands are too busy counting their money.

Jim, you have certainly put another spin on things. Your lemmings comment is dead on but the comment about unions marketing the labor the represent, I am sorry but I must disagree, I think that would take too much effort on their (unions) part instead it is much easier or has been in the past for them to blackmail companies into paying more and more and more and benefits that the company cant afford like the UAW and the jobs bank for the auto workers. Basically that is all the unions do they say give us what we want or we will strike and close you down well that threat is obviously hollow now adays. Yes it true Americans are being globalized and middle class is going to get hit the hardest. But you must have a grasp on reality not just your unions version of reality, China Colombia India and other nations are being allowed to drive the prevailing wages down and its not going to change so the only option is to adapt and get out of those industries including aviation.

They will set wages in a stable climate. However the biggest opposition to the latest hemispheric trade proposals have been by Latin America. China also has its own fish to fry. What would happen tomorrow if they stop buying our debt because of friction over Taiwan? Our companies standards of quality are erroding due to the cheapest help we can find. Airlines are not exempt from this either.

They will set wages in a stable climate. However the biggest opposition to the latest hemispheric trade proposals have been by Latin America. China also has its own fish to fry. What would happen tomorrow if they stop buying our debt because of friction over Taiwan? Our companies standards of quality are erroding due to the cheapest help we can find. Airlines are not exempt from this either.

All of your unions need to leave the companies alone and start lobbying congress to put pressure on the FAA and end this overseas outsourcing of US registered aircraft. Attacking the companies is not a very good strategic move in preventing this from happening.

All of your unions need to leave the companies alone and start lobbying congress to put pressure on the FAA and end this overseas outsourcing of US registered aircraft. Attacking the companies is not a very good strategic move in preventing this from happening.
neither is accepting work from a striking mechanics. If NWA had made a better offer towards the mechanics rather being very hostile to them, the outcome would have been different. It is a no wonder and no brainer that the mechanics went out on strike because they felt being battered was enough after witnessing what went on with UAL and US. At least they had the GUTS to step up to mgmt and say enough is enough

Robbedagain:

You're right, it does take guts to say good-bye to a job that has paid you well over the years.

It also takes stupidity.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You guys don't work for NWA, you work for the union. You do what the union tells you to do. Whether it's job related, politically related, family related, community related, etc.

Why doesn't the union get all of you dues paying members a job somewhere else. Isn't that part of a "brotherhood"? If you can turn a wrench on an aircraft, your can turn one anywhere else.

When will you guys learn.

Your jobs are now being done by others. You call them names but they are working, you're not.

We just hired a Amfa NW guy and he is working out well, the maintenance co. working on the Jetblue terminal hired 6 more. They will be on the airport longer than NW. And no one I've ever known here just does what they're told by the union, there is plenty of chair throwing.

I can remember as a boy seeing all the men in the neighborhood going to work every morning in either the mines or the mills.

That was before we had all the government regulations we have today.

Ahhhh, the good old days:

China mine flood traps 42 miners

"China's mines are the deadliest in the world, with fires, floods, cave-ins and other disasters reported almost daily."

"Mine accidents in China killed 6,027 people last year, according to government figures -- a rate of 16 deaths each day."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/12/0...e.ap/index.html

You're right, Jim. I just know that if we could get rid of the unions and all those government regulations, we could kill at least 17 miners per day. We'll show 'em what competition is!

Then we can work on those pesky child labor laws...

Robbedagain:

You're right, it does take guts to say good-bye to a job that has paid you well over the years.

It also takes stupidity.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You guys don't work for NWA, you work for the union. You do what the union tells you to do. Whether it's job related, politically related, family related, community related, etc.

Why doesn't the union get all of you dues paying members a job somewhere else. Isn't that part of a "brotherhood"? If you can turn a wrench on an aircraft, your can turn one anywhere else.

When will you guys learn.

Your jobs are now being done by others. You call them names but they are working, you're not.
if they dont work for NWA, then how come the paychecks come from NWA? When I was with USAIRWAYS, my paychecks was from USAIRWAYS, not the IAM. what is the difference

Robbed:

Your paychecks only come from the airline because the union has no payroll system of its own.

The union payroll system is a very small operation and probably handled by a secretary.

Union people have no affinity for the corporation. Their loyality is to the union bosses who derive their pay from the union dues.

In order for the union bosses to get a pay raise they must have the grunts add more money to the union coffers.

The union bosses don't want to raise dues to add money to THEIR paychecks so how do THEY get raises?

The union bosses ask the corporation to add more jobs, because that would add more dues money.

The corporation doesn't want to add to expenses so they don't add jobs.

The union bosses then do some of their "magic" and make the next contract more restrictive as far as work rules go and the corporation has to add x number of people to do the same amount of work.

Those x number of people's dues add to the union coffers and the union bosses give themselves a raise and have a big party in the union office and congratulate each other for doing such a good job.

And occasionally, the union bosses will have a big union meeting and tell all of the grunts to vote for the Democratic Party because it is the party of the working man. And the union grunts do what they're told because the union bosses, who know everything, have told them what to do.

And it goes on and on.

Isn't life wonderful!!!

Latest posts