7-dirty-7/The Flying Oven

I know it gets hot living in the southwest as a former vegas resident. I have to say that it's no better being in Florida or anywhere where it's in the 90's and humid as all hell. Hot is hot but add the humidity to it and you are soaked. My fresh pressed shirt looks like I haven't bathed in a month after I do a full day on the 737. There is NO reason for being that hot on the a/c and I sure as hell won't do it. The problem IS your usually in the middle of a long day and the crew wants to keep going and get to their overnight. The thinking lately is that Usairways and the res system screws up the day enough we just wanna get there. So we suck it up and go because the cabin crew can't get on one page and stand strong and refuse to go. Nobody wants to force a min rest on our own. I think that is why we most often go HOT. Not an excuse but definately how I see it.

I know it gets hot living in the southwest as a former vegas resident. I have to say that it's no better being in Florida or anywhere where it's in the 90's and humid as all hell. Hot is hot but add the humidity to it and you are soaked. My fresh pressed shirt looks like I haven't bathed in a month after I do a full day on the 737. There is NO reason for being that hot on the a/c and I sure as hell won't do it. The problem IS your usually in the middle of a long day and the crew wants to keep going and get to their overnight. The thinking lately is that Usairways and the res system screws up the day enough we just wanna get there. So we suck it up and go because the cabin crew can't get on one page and stand strong and refuse to go. Nobody wants to force a min rest on our own. I think that is why we most often go HOT. Not an excuse but definately how I see it.

You make some good points and I need to clarify my previous post. Some A/C are just hotter than others. Our 737s will never be as cool as the Airbus. That you have to live with, but if it is hotter than normal it needs to be fixed. I used to hear from maint that it is just a Fokker. That just didn't work because even though they were hot there were things you could do to make it better and they would cool in the air. Sometimes hot airplanes are just the pilots fault. They worry about running the APU, or don't take the time to think that if they leave the plane with no air on it it will be miserable for the next crew.

I love when you fly with pilots that keep the air cranked. I say, "bring a sweater, I can't take my clothes off but you sure can put some on". The sunburned florida crowd is a perfect example. I do feel sorry for those few folks that are on the 757 between ohhh rows 9 and 12. It's like a damn wind tunnel there.

I do feel sorry for those few folks that are on the 757 between ohhh rows 9 and 12. It's like a damn wind tunnel there.
I remember the coldest flight I had was in FC on a 757 (back when it had a real first class cabin). It was freezing and everyone was asking to turn the air down. The captain came out and stood in FC and apologized and explained that the front and back get the most, but if he turned it down, those in the middle would roast. First and only time I ever used one of those gross blankets......motto now...never wear shorts on a long flight!

By far THE worst is the last row middle of the 767. With the crew rest "curtain" (I use the term loosely as most of the time it's a tangled dirty cloth). It's like a wind tunnel. The MUC gals have all the napkins shoved in the vents to stop the air but it's no use.

Can You only imagine how miserable those 737's would be THIS Week with the very humid, Scorching Heatwave affecting the Midwest and East (97degrees and higher, with 70% humidity). It gets HOT out West.....but remember, "It's a DRY Heat".......please- HOT is HOT. There should be MANDATORY guidelines in MAINTAINING CABIN COMFORT. If conditions become unbearable people should contact the FAA and OSHA.

Can You only imagine how miserable those 737's would be THIS Week with the very humid, Scorching Heatwave affecting the Midwest and East (97degrees and higher, with 70% humidity). It gets HOT out West.....but remember, "It's a DRY Heat".......please- HOT is HOT. There should be MANDATORY guidelines in MAINTAINING CABIN COMFORT. If conditions become unbearable people should contact the FAA and OSHA.
Our humidity in Phoenix has been around the 50% range the last couple of wks. So it is very humid for the desert during monsoon season. LIke you say HOT is HOT. There is no excuse for a APU to be out during the summer months either. :down:

I love when you fly with pilots that keep the air cranked. I say, "bring a sweater, I can't take my clothes off but you sure can put some on". The sunburned florida crowd is a perfect example. I do feel sorry for those few folks that are on the 757 between ohhh rows 9 and 12. It's like a damn wind tunnel there.
Got in 4 hours late last night from my 737 trip. Cabin was luke warm but not boiling as I told my C/O that we wouldn't board an oven.......just 3 hours late DCA-PHL and 3.5 hours late PHL-BOS-PIT......my husband is no longer planning on having dinner w/ me when I say " I block in at 6:00--be home by 7:15pm"
He's just happy to see me in one piece.

It's not just the baby boeings anymore. The 75's are getting just as bad.

I just worked a 75 trip and one of the a/c was a kiln. The tail number had to have been 666 because we were in the seventh ring of hell!!

:down: :down:

Latest posts

Back