7-dirty-7/The Flying Oven

Oh the Dutch Ovens. Boy those were the days. :D You could always tell who was the most lazy on the crew. They would flock to "B" and watch the First Class section for feet to finish moving under the curtain because the A&C set up the cart. No galley in back. SO they would read thier book until they saw the cart ready and then saunter up front to grab the back end. :lol:
Didn't AA operate them with a special APU or whatever to keep them cool? We were going to sell them as part of the united deal to AA but ours got hot? Anyone remember that?

:ph34r: Well........I will be slumming it on Satan's Chariot (that miserable filthy animal of an airplane) in the shorterm, why in the hell I didn't dump it (I still question ?) and will come fully PREPARED. Just let ME encounter A-N-Y of the BS that I have just read about- GUESS WHAT.....if it is a 737-4 (150pax) or a 737-3 (126pax) and I break a sweat.........I will have pre-printed cards with the FAA Hotline Number avail to EVERYONE and the LOCAL Media OUTLETS will be alerted! I have seen MORE THAN MY SHARE of BS and mistreatment of customers by THIS REGIEME and the moral of the story will be "Who's Sweating N-O-W?". And I'll give you a TRIP REPORT, that's assured. :rolleyes:

Quite a few of our F-100's were retrofitted with some sort of air cooling system before we got rid of them. They had these vents above the "B's" jumpseat that were so lould you couldn't even year yourself think. They were so powerfull that one girl was standing back there and it was sucking her hair towards the wall. You'd hear the ice running through the hoses in the overheads. I'd jokingly tell passengers that it was mice. :lol: Oh that plane...... As for the east 737's there certainly are some real gems. I haven't thought about the thermometer before. I'm gonna bring one with me. Great idea. Maybe I'll take my big one off the side of my house. :lol:

This seems like a very simple thing to me. The Captain takes his pen out of his pocket, opens the logbook and writes up the A/C, APU and whatever else it takes. He notes cabin temperatures and makes a statement about passenger safety, then he packs his flight kit and asks scheduling what they want him to do next.

BUT FOR PETE'S SAKE, YOU DON'T FLY AN AIRPLANE WITH 90 DEGREE CABIN TEMPS!!!

We should not be flying broken airplanes. If the cabin won't cool, IT'S BROKEN.
Sorry, but this spinless BS really ticks me off.

A320 Driver <_<

I wish it were that simple.

We beg the pilots to write the damn planes up. But no...they won't do it. If we suggest it..it's some kind of control issue with them. God forbid a flight attendant tells them what to do!!

We are sweltering on these planes and we can't get the bloody pilots to stay on the planes 2 min. after we've landed. As soon as we've opened the door...they are gone. They are getting their lunch or whatever and we are stuck with this hot airplane. They won't stay long enough to make sure the ground air has been attached to the aircraft.!! It pisses me off!
I can't tell you how many times I've gone down to the ramp and made them hook up the ground air.

There is no excuse for it. :down:

From a westie...welcome to our annual nightmare.

Every single summer, like clock work we have issues in Phoenix with ground air and mulitple a/c with inop apus. It's like someone in the sandcastle forgets that we have summer temps that are 110 degrees plus. Every single town hall someone brings up the issue of hot a/c and ground air that doesn't work with DoUgIe and he says the same da*n thing. " I'll look in to the ground air issues." Well, from my count he's been "looking in to it" for about 4 years now. So, if I get on an a/c that is too hot and the FD isn't there, I simply refuse to board. I make sure to be proactive and I call the inflight bubble to tell them that it's too hot to board. That way they get the whole story and not just the stressed out gate agent's version. What some of the simpletons in management seem to forget is that many of the people traveling through the PHX hub aren't from PHX and as such, they can't tolerate the heat as well as those of us who live here. Don't even get me started on the elderly and babies being subjected to the heat.

We did have a crew that was forced to board. Shortly after boarding began, they started showing signs of heat exhaustion (as outlined in the manual) so, the 2nd had the FD contact Medlink (which can and should be done even if you are on the ground) and Medlink advised that the FA's needed to be treated. So, flight takes delay anyway while they bring down hot reserves. Crew goes to clinic, but by the time the dr. sees them they are okay because they've had a chance to cool down and drink some fluids. Crew goes home and is scheduled to pick the trip back up the next day as it comes back through domicile. Oh and they were guaranteed for portion of the trip missed due to heat exhaustion.

Moral of the story, take 10 minutes and cool down the da*n a/c otherwise we may still end up screwing ourselves with a delay to replace a heat exhausted crew. I have found that if you start making calls the minute you show up and find the a/c too hot that the powers that be are little more helpful. It may still take using the words "refusing to board" to jumpstart them though.

Exactly!!!
Welcome to our HELL!!!! We deal with this every summer in PHX and LAS. To top it off we even have Jetways that don't even produce Cool air conditioning, or they are broken. Complain??? Get the runaround it is a City thing!! Who in there right mind would bulid a jetway in PHX or LAS without a/c units?? Plus, we get the long story from some of our pilots that they are not allowed to turn the APU on until 15 minutes from departure!!??? B.S. Just say no to boarding period!! :down:

Exactly!!!
Welcome to our HELL!!!! We deal with this every summer in PHX and LAS. To top it off we even have Jetways that don't even produce Cool air conditioning, or they are broken. Complain??? Get the runaround it is a City thing!! Who in there right mind would bulid a jetway in PHX or LAS without a/c units?? Plus, we get the long story from some of our pilots that they are not allowed to turn the APU on until 15 minutes from departure!!??? B.S. Just say no to boarding period!! :down:

The FOM says you can run the APU anytime you want if it is a passenger comfort issue. I suggest you take advantage of it.

I do...every leg.

A320 Driver B)

Exactly!!!

"Not allowed to turn the APU on..."???????

Who is going to stop the crew from starting the APU when they show for the segment? the agent?

I would think a good line of reasoning would start with, no crew boards until the a/c is below 80 degrees. Start APU 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Wait for 80 degrees. Crew starts duties. When ready, passengers can board. At that point, scheduled departure becomes virtual and actual departure is pretty much not on time.

Maybe on the WESTSide they have 134, but on the EAST which is what is being talked about, the A/C hold 126 (F-12 Y-114).

OK, thanks a lot Hope....keep reminding them that the East has 12F v. 8F on the West. Now they will spend a ton of money to shove more Y seats on these planes and take out the closets. Talking about getting up close and personal with the pax/jumpseat on the West 73s...um, with temps as high as these people are talking, I think I'll sit in row 2 on the West...what is that smell?

"Not allowed to turn the APU on..."???????

Who is going to stop the crew from starting the APU when they show for the segment? the agent?

I would think a good line of reasoning would start with, no crew boards until the a/c is below 80 degrees. Start APU 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Wait for 80 degrees. Crew starts duties. When ready, passengers can board. At that point, scheduled departure becomes virtual and actual departure is pretty much not on time.
Why don't you ask the mec on the west side? I have heard the excuses from pilots, no apu until 15 minutes from departure. Run only one engine until takeoff. I know that is for sure. What is the real story?? If you think ground air does good at most stations, your wrong!! The only station I have had good air flow is LAS!!!! :rolleyes:

Why don't you ask the mec on the west side? I have heard the excuses from pilots, no apu until 15 minutes from departure. Run only one engine until takeoff. I know that is for sure. What is the real story?? If you think ground air does good at most stations, your wrong!! The only station I have had good air flow is LAS!!!! :rolleyes:

Do not board the aircraft until the temperature is appropriate. If your body is stressed from high temperatures, you cannot properly do your job. Tell the pilots that when they cool the cabin that you will then start to do your duties.

:ph34r: Well........I will be slumming it on Satan's Chariot (that miserable filthy animal of an airplane) in the shorterm, why in the hell I didn't dump it (I still question ?) and will come fully PREPARED. Just let ME encounter A-N-Y of the BS that I have just read about- GUESS WHAT.....if it is a 737-4 (150pax) or a 737-3 (126pax) and I break a sweat.........I will have pre-printed cards with the FAA Hotline Number avail to EVERYONE and the LOCAL Media OUTLETS will be alerted! I have seen MORE THAN MY SHARE of BS and mistreatment of customers by THIS REGIEME and the moral of the story will be "Who's Sweating N-O-W?". And I'll give you a TRIP REPORT, that's assured. :rolleyes:
Me too....I've got a 2 day on the 737---we're on a 300 all day then a 400 tomorrow. The captain is a good guy though...not like the weiner I had last time who didn't care if we or the pax were roasting. If I have time, I think I'll stop by the dollar store and buy a cheap-o thermometer like someone here said they have.....trip report in a few days....

This is BS. We have a combined FOM. It says our operating priorities are safety, passenger comfort, efficency. If it isn't cool, don't board. If it's broke, write it up.

I have refused several Fokkers in the past, never heard a word about it.

The jetway air in CLT is worthless above aout 80 degrees. APUs should be run anytime it is above that.

Latest posts

Back