A CP Speaks....er, Writes....

vantheman63

Senior
Aug 30, 2007
PVD
Visit site
Here is the e-mail I sent to Tempe....I've never heard anything back before, and I don't expect to this time, but at least I did what I knew to do, "send a message."

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:41 PM
To: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; 'Eberwein, Elise'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: A Sad State Of Affairs...Continues

Dear US Airways:

I’ve written many times….in fact, I use to care. I’m not sure I care as much any more as the moves this company has made, both past moves and recent moves, have pretty much killed any and all “good feelings†I associated with US Airways. On top of that, I don’t think any of you really care about my opinions….of all the times I’ve tried to share, communicate and express concerns, as a Chairman, I’ve only ever received ONE return note from anyone. (I’ve received form letters and even one extremely rude letter from the “customer service†people, but I suppose I am/was trying to communicate on a slightly deeper level.)

I made my peace with the company in December, at least in my mind: “Fly US ONLY when it is the only ride available and/or only when it is dirt cheap.†Doesn’t seem like a sustainable position, but it is what it is and certainly not the “Airline Of Choice.â€

Products come and products go…and this one, sadly is headed, who knows where. It seemed as though there was indeed some momentum being gained….more on time arrivals, bags arriving with customers, “enhancements†in the F cabin, new Buy On Board in the back…and then, with one swift move, a move that from a business perspective makes precious little sense, the company goes and wipes nearly, if not ALL of it out, and then some.

Supposedly, “glassware isn’t on the radar screen of customers.†As my wife stated it, perfectly, “we never voiced our opposition to plastic because US Airways told us time and time again glassware is coming.†Just one of a number of promises made and broken by this company and it’s product. Then, as we in the Northeast know and understand, we pay EXTRAORDINARY prices to fly point to point here. A simple route that US competes with WN on, PVD-PHL, STILL yields close to $0.50 per mile. The company sells DMs for $0.03, correct? I’m assuming you’re valuing them at less then that from an accounting standpoint…

The point is you have created a HUGE firestorm for an issue/issues that are….not even a half of one percent. The absolute vile, rabid ill will created toward US Airways and Tempe will, I predict, be FAR more costly then the “savings†just picked up.

My perception of how US Airways is managed? The company leverages off the very two groups of people that give it a reason for existence, the employees and the passengers. Instead of the company finding ways to build value into the product it sells, the company looks always to cut costs, cheapen the product and the perception of the product and in doing so, almost gives itself a black eye! I’ve never, really, quite seen anything like it.

Finally, I’ve attached receipts for 4 tickets I recently purchased and flew with my wife. You will note, the CO ticket from PVD-ABQ, I paid $654.88 per ticket in actual air fare, $0.284 per mile. CO wasn’t available for the ride home and in fact, for the time I needed, US was the only ride, so I bought tickets…$165.58 per….$0.059 per mile. Now, the question is, “why on earth would I be willing to pay nearly 4 times what it costs on US to fly CO?†The answer is because I get much, much better value for my travel dollar with CO. It certainly wasn’t like that 4 or 5 years ago.

While I could EASILY have paid some cheap, discounted fare to fly CO….and I could EASILY have paid F fare to fly US, I did not. Why? Simple. The “value proposition†with US no longer exists…and for some strange reason, the current mood in Tempe seems anxious to make the value even worse.

In all likelihood, I will forever be perplexed by this.

Not to lecture aviation professionals such as yourself….but from a consumer standpoint….for less then a half a percent, you just created who knows HOW MUCH ill will. From my vantage point, that’s not very good business. Never mind the fact that even more value was stripped from a product that already provided….significantly less value then the competition.

Best Regards

VanTheMan63
President
PL & P, Inc.
Phone: ###-###-####
Fax: ###-###-####
E-Mail: [email protected]

Here is the e-mail I sent to Tempe....I've never heard anything back before, and I don't expect to this time, but at least I did what I knew to do, "send a message."
Dude, give it up.

We have a saying here in my parts and it goes like this.....

Do you know what happens when you pee up a rope?

The rope turns yellow and you get wet.

....and I have more pearls of wisdom if you would like to hear 'em :lol:

Dude, give it up.

We have a saying here in my parts and it goes like this.....

Do you know what happens when you pee up a rope?

The rope turns yellow and you get wet.

....and I have more pearls of wisdom if you would like to hear 'em :lol:

You are the only other person besides my late grandfather (from Eufola, NC) and me that I've known to use the phrase "pi$$ up a rope." I LOVE IT. Thanks for the memories.

You are the only other person besides my late grandfather (from Eufola, NC) and me that I've known to use the phrase "pi$$ up a rope." I LOVE IT. Thanks for the memories.
hehehe

That's less than 20 miles away. Lot's of good sayings around these parts.

Sorry Van for the hijack, but I just had too

Here is the response I got to the rather not nice email I sent them yesterday. All sounds like Bulls*** to me. Still baffles me how this change will save them money and ward off the impact of rising fuel prices. And gee - you are adding more destinations for award travel - but now I won't have any miles to get award tickets with! How nice of them.

We can understand your concerns about the changes in our mileage accrual
for short haul flights. Beginning May 1, 2008, you will begin earning
the actual number of miles flown rather than a 500 mile segment minimum.
We periodically review our program and make changes to offset rising
airline expenses and to continue to deliver the best benefits to our
Dividend Miles members. By awarding the actual number of miles flown,
US Airways will reduce costs and simplify its accrual policy to help
ensure the long-term viability of the Dividend Miles program.

Although fuel prices continue to increase, our award travel requirements
have remained largely unchanged. Looking forward, we will be adding
more award destinations on US Airways and our Star Alliance partners.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our program
changes. Your business is important to us and we feel confident that US
Airways can meet your future travel needs.

Sincerely,

Marina M.
US Airways
Dividend Miles Fulfillment

Here is the response I got to the rather not nice email I sent them yesterday. All sounds like Bulls*** to me. Still baffles me how this change will save them money and ward off the impact of rising fuel prices. And gee - you are adding more destinations for award travel - but now I won't have any miles to get award tickets with! How nice of them.

i

Sincerely,

Marina M.
US Airways

I received a very a close copy of that letter. And I am sorry US did not meet my travel needs. Sunday night I need to go MHT-CMH and my travel department gave me two options. Two prop jobs through LGA for $587.00 Plus fees. Or on NW two DC9s through DTW. For $637.00 including fees.

It was a no brainer, I chose NW with two ral plane (a bit old, but in good shape) first class with glassware.

I had been giving US some business, but only two more segments to make silver, and that will be it. That is just in case in NEED to fly them in 2009.

Sincerely,

Marina M.
US Airways

One of the T.V. stations in my area had a blurb about changes to the frequent flyer program, it was mentioned that if a member books their award travel less than 14 days in advance, there will be a $75.00 late booking fee.

One of the T.V. stations in my area had a blurb about changes to the frequent flyer program, it was mentioned that if a member books their award travel less than 14 days in advance, there will be a $75.00 late booking fee.

Here is the new policy:
* Members redeeming miles for award travel online within 14-days of departure will be assessed a quick ticketing fee of $50 per ticket.

A quick ticketing fee of $75 per award ticket will continue to apply for award tickets purchased from US Airways Reservations. Chairman's and Platinum Preferred members booking within 14-days (both online and by phone) are exempt from the fee.

Here is the new policy:
* Members redeeming miles for award travel online within 14-days of departure will be assessed a quick ticketing fee of $50 per ticket.

A quick ticketing fee of $75 per award ticket will continue to apply for award tickets purchased from US Airways Reservations. Chairman's and Platinum Preferred members booking within 14-days (both online and by phone) are exempt from the fee.

And once again how does one explain this stuff? The past two days have been beyond belief in how many ways this company can come up with to drive customers away. It is just baffling. And the logic in charging this "quick ticketing fee" is - because we just want to piss people off. It doesn't cost anymore to issue a ticket 15 days in advance or 14 days in advance. They just want to see how much they can make people hate this airline.

And once again how does one explain this stuff? The past two days have been beyond belief in how many ways this company can come up with to drive customers away. It is just baffling. And the logic in charging this "quick ticketing fee" is - because we just want to piss people off. It doesn't cost anymore to issue a ticket 15 days in advance or 14 days in advance. They just want to see how much they can make people hate this airline.

And they are doing a darn good job of it, too:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790437
New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
257 posts
18 pages
and counting...

Latest posts