A CP Speaks....er, Writes....

What I don't understand is how they can justify this. As someone on flyertalk had stated, the majority of those 500 and less mile flights are usually extremely high priced. So US is going to tick these people off when they are already paying through the nose for tacky service and get NOTHING in return for being a loyal customer? I mean think about it. It's pathetic and a bad, bad uneducated decision. :rolleyes: WOW! ! ! !

Here is the e-mail I sent to Tempe....I've never heard anything back before, and I don't expect to this time, but at least I did what I knew to do, "send a message."

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:41 PM
To: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; 'Eberwein, Elise'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: A Sad State Of Affairs...Continues

Dear US Airways:

I’ve written many times….in fact, I use to care. I’m not sure I care as much any more as the moves this company has made, both past moves and recent moves, have pretty much killed any and all “good feelings†I associated with US Airways. On top of that, I don’t think any of you really care about my opinions….of all the times I’ve tried to share, communicate and express concerns, as a Chairman, I’ve only ever received ONE return note from anyone. (I’ve received form letters and even one extremely rude letter from the “customer service†people, but I suppose I am/was trying to communicate on a slightly deeper level.)

I made my peace with the company in December, at least in my mind: “Fly US ONLY when it is the only ride available and/or only when it is dirt cheap.†Doesn’t seem like a sustainable position, but it is what it is and certainly not the “Airline Of Choice.â€

Products come and products go…and this one, sadly is headed, who knows where. It seemed as though there was indeed some momentum being gained….more on time arrivals, bags arriving with customers, “enhancements†in the F cabin, new Buy On Board in the back…and then, with one swift move, a move that from a business perspective makes precious little sense, the company goes and wipes nearly, if not ALL of it out, and then some.

Supposedly, “glassware isn’t on the radar screen of customers.†As my wife stated it, perfectly, “we never voiced our opposition to plastic because US Airways told us time and time again glassware is coming.†Just one of a number of promises made and broken by this company and it’s product. Then, as we in the Northeast know and understand, we pay EXTRAORDINARY prices to fly point to point here. A simple route that US competes with WN on, PVD-PHL, STILL yields close to $0.50 per mile. The company sells DMs for $0.03, correct? I’m assuming you’re valuing them at less then that from an accounting standpoint…

The point is you have created a HUGE firestorm for an issue/issues that are….not even a half of one percent. The absolute vile, rabid ill will created toward US Airways and Tempe will, I predict, be FAR more costly then the “savings†just picked up.

My perception of how US Airways is managed? The company leverages off the very two groups of people that give it a reason for existence, the employees and the passengers. Instead of the company finding ways to build value into the product it sells, the company looks always to cut costs, cheapen the product and the perception of the product and in doing so, almost gives itself a black eye! I’ve never, really, quite seen anything like it.

Finally, I’ve attached receipts for 4 tickets I recently purchased and flew with my wife. You will note, the CO ticket from PVD-ABQ, I paid $654.88 per ticket in actual air fare, $0.284 per mile. CO wasn’t available for the ride home and in fact, for the time I needed, US was the only ride, so I bought tickets…$165.58 per….$0.059 per mile. Now, the question is, “why on earth would I be willing to pay nearly 4 times what it costs on US to fly CO?†The answer is because I get much, much better value for my travel dollar with CO. It certainly wasn’t like that 4 or 5 years ago.

While I could EASILY have paid some cheap, discounted fare to fly CO….and I could EASILY have paid F fare to fly US, I did not. Why? Simple. The “value proposition†with US no longer exists…and for some strange reason, the current mood in Tempe seems anxious to make the value even worse.

In all likelihood, I will forever be perplexed by this.

Not to lecture aviation professionals such as yourself….but from a consumer standpoint….for less then a half a percent, you just created who knows HOW MUCH ill will. From my vantage point, that’s not very good business. Never mind the fact that even more value was stripped from a product that already provided….significantly less value then the competition.

Best Regards

VanTheMan63
President
PL & P, Inc.
Phone: ###-###-####
Fax: ###-###-####
E-Mail: [email protected]
VanTheMan63,YOU ARE THE MAN. as a 30year employee for US I thank-you for referring to
the employees as assests in your letter, it gives me added incentives to work harder for
customers like you! With all due respect, I have to correct you on one thing you stated.
You refer to Tempe as Aviation Professionals, I have to disagree with you on that point.
The only thing they are professionals in is running the once proud company into the ground
and taking as much money for themselves. THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS need to wake
up and clean house! HOW ABOUT A GOOD SPRING CLEANING before it is to late
VanThe Man, again thanks for the mention of the employees

One of the T.V. stations in my area had a blurb about changes to the frequent flyer program, it was mentioned that if a member books their award travel less than 14 days in advance, there will be a $75.00 late booking fee.

Here is the new policy:
* Members redeeming miles for award travel online within 14-days of departure will be assessed a quick ticketing fee of $50 per ticket.

A quick ticketing fee of $75 per award ticket will continue to apply for award tickets purchased from US Airways Reservations. Chairman's and Platinum Preferred members booking within 14-days (both online and by phone) are exempt from the fee.

Hmmm... now they are making the changes so complicated that the media screws up correctly informing the public. This makes the SandCastle look even worse in public perception.

VanTheMan63,YOU ARE THE MAN. as a 30year employee for US I thank-you for referring to
the employees as assests in your letter, it gives me added incentives to work harder for
customers like you! With all due respect, I have to correct you on one thing you stated.
You refer to Tempe as Aviation Professionals, I have to disagree with you on that point.
The only thing they are professionals in is running the once proud company into the ground
and taking as much money for themselves. THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS need to wake
up and clean house! HOW ABOUT A GOOD SPRING CLEANING before it is to late
VanThe Man, again thanks for the mention of the employees

The "assets" Van has referred to are the reason many of us have stuck with US this long. It's certainly not for the reduced benefits and raised elite levels and cuts to DM and all the other "cost cutting" measures Tempe has taken away.

Here is the e-mail I sent to Tempe....I've never heard anything back before, and I don't expect to this time, but at least I did what I knew to do, "send a message."

why waste your time? don't you think it is time you put your money where your mouth is and stop flying US. Why give a company who gives you no value and no respect any business? Don't send one dime their way. Use them to burn miles only and stop allowing them to abuse you. It really does get amusing watching people say, oh, this change will really make me think twice about sending my business elsewhere in 2034. :rolleyes:

why waste your time? don't you think it is time you put your money where your mouth is and stop flying US. Why give a company who gives you no value and no respect any business? Don't send one dime their way. Use them to burn miles only and stop allowing them to abuse you. It really does get amusing watching people say, oh, this change will really make me think twice about sending my business elsewhere in 2034. :rolleyes:

US1YFARE, I'm sure you read my note to them very carefully....and you, no doubt saw that I fly US "only when necessary."

That's part of what's both maddening and incredible...

There are times, no matter how angry, bitter or continually pi$$ed off one is, when, from a time standpoint it makes ZERO sense to fly someone else. As I'm sure you are, I'm a very, very busy person. My time is worth in excess of $500 an hour. I don't have time to fiddle f**k around, flying through IAH to get to MIA from PVD. Sorry. I'm angry, but I'm not going to lose my most valuable asett, my time, just because the people at The Sand Castle don't understand how to keep a business traveler happy.

The two tickets I referenced in my e-mail are a PERFECT example. I bought F, ABQ-PVD on CO....my wife and I REALLY enjoy CO and we very much wanted to fly CO back...but their last flight leaving ABQ to get us back here was 9:30 am.....I was in Taos with a group of 6 clients skiing....the LAST thing I'm going to do for my biz is get them up "2 or 3 hours early because I'm so stubborn/angry/pi$$ed off at US that I won't fly them."

So, I bought tix on them....at rock bottom prices...and it worked, I got home. I have a home in BGI as well....I can fly AA or DL...but getting home on either airline takes 24 hours...sorry, no amount of anger is worth me losing that kind of time.

So, with all do respect, be much appreciated if you'd channel that righteous "put your money where your mouth is" attitude in a different direction. That kind of anger and hostility may well work superb for you, it does not work for me. :)

Finally, for the record, I don't think it will change. And that is the frustrating part I referenced. I believe this management team knew ALL along they were gonna fly this airline into the crapper. It is what it is. To a certain degree, we're held hostage by them. They don't want to be any good....that's the frustrating part.

So, with all do respect, be much appreciated if you'd channel that righteous "put your money where your mouth is" attitude in a different direction. That kind of anger and hostility may well work superb for you, it does not work for me. :)

Why does refusing to send money to a company that disrepects customers and employees reflect "anger and hostility"?

Oh, and self-righteous? You seem to know that quality very well.

Why does refusing to send money to a company that disrepects customers and employees reflect "anger and hostility"?

Look, I'm not going to get in the mud and wrestle with you...I think there have been books written about that.

Lets just put it this way, suggesting I take my money and put it where my mouth is reflects a certain sense of elitist BS that I believe is not necessary to make this conversation understandable and informative. Additionally, I read these boards....you've expressed your "displeasure" with this company in way that even I will admit have taken "holding on to anger" to a new level. And by NO means am I "lilly white." I've done my fair share, and then some, of bashing.

Fine, neither of us believe in or care for US Airways. We agree. But continual bashing on the airline and projecting an omnipotent image ("don't you think it is time you put your money where your mouth is and stop flying US.") will not solve anything other than to demonstrate your continued commitment to negativity. At the end of the day, I'd much rather channel my energy into solutions. (Have you read the "One Minute Manager?")

And if I'm self righteous....my best suggestion to you is to block my name and posts and refuse to read or comment on anything I say.

And I do say that will all the care and respect one fellow business traveler can say to another. :)

Have a nice day.

But continual bashing on the airline and projecting an omnipotent image ("don't you think it is time you put your money where your mouth is and stop flying US.") will not solve anything other than to demonstrate your continued commitment to negativity.

and I should care? i find it very self-entertaining.... :lol: it's getting too easy though--and less of a challenge as they can't seem to do even simple things correctly.

US1YFARE...This post pretty much shoots your credibility...

If you aren't giving US a chance and you're just bashing and belittling whatever left the employees have then you Sir are just an a-west hole that's available to Doug Parker for his oral pleasures...after all you are the Westmoreland of Wit on these boards. (Sorry Mods...I'm sick and tired of this crap I hear everyday).

US1YFARE why don't you just go back to FlyerTalk and be productive at the Continental OnePass forum(s)...

Latest posts