AA mechanics & AMFA, How do SWA AMT's feel about it?

AMFAinMIAMI

Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Miami, Fl.
I have heard different opinions on what will happen if AA removes the TWU and brings in AMFA.

With the ability to vote on NEC officers, and to remove them as well, are the SWA amt's hoping that AA stays TWU or are they looking fwd to AMFA growing into a large union and having more weight in the industry?

Are the SWA amt's thinking that if AA changes to AMFA SWA will loose controlling power and that the concept of AMFA will change?

AMFA got bigger with the Airtran guys are they playing any role now in the running of AMFA?

Did any issue AT had prior to the acquisition effect the Locals or the funds of the Locals?

If a region has a AMFA Local assigned how much concern do the SWA guys have of AA joining that Local?

MPO is I hope you guys are successful at bringing in AMFA.  Don't really care if you guys flood the National, we've done it for the last 10 to 12 years.  With the AMFA constitution there really isn't any major worries.  Now it has been brought up that there should be at least one officer at each airline represented within the National Officer ranks.  
As far as local issues are concerned.  There has been talks about 2 locals for the Dallas area mechs.  One near DFW for you guys to easily attend and of course we would keep ours here near LF.  
I hope you guys do make a change, the TWU is very self centered and will hurt the membership just because of past union business practices just because they hate AMFA so bad.  This is why they REFUSE to attend the Labor Collision after AMFA was brought into it by the pilots.  Pilots told the TWU pres, Tom M, that they were closer in relation with the mechanics than they were with the F/A's, therefore they brought us in.  The TWU and maybe even the teamsters are so pissed about the Labor Collision doing this that they refuse to attend any future Collision meetings which would benefit the membership especially during this very, very critical time of negociations.  It is just PATHETIC how they are acting like little children and it is affecting their members that they represent, so sad and completely unprofessional.  
  Another reason I would like to see you guys come into AMFA is that it will make AMFA all that much stronger, and I think it will snow-ball into other airlines making the changes thru-out the industry.  The reason for this is after the AA guys see how more they run their union and how involved they will become, and the control they will gain in comparisome to what they have now, it will start to flow thru the industry, and maybe, all airline mechanics can have a mechanics union represent them which is the way it should be.   Good luck to all the organizers.  I think the time frame just got cut shorter since they filed for SCS.  Hope you guys will overcome this new hurdle of adding the US numbers to AA for the card count (at least I think this will happen).  US guys need to realize what is in store for them if this alliance gets forced upon the membership as they are trying like hell to do...

AMFAinMIAMI said:

AMFA got bigger with the Airtran guys are they playing any role now in the running of AMFA?

Did any issue AT had prior to the acquisition effect the Locals or the funds of the Locals?

I don't hear anything about AirTran issues because they are in other locals.

As for your other questions, please refer to our private conversation Feb 23, 2013.
My opinions have not changed from then.

I don't know how anyone else feels about these issues because we don't discuss them.
Also, although I would like to see all mechanics freed from their industrial union chains, I still believe PMAA guys missed the best shot at it when AA submitted the seniority list on the same day the IBT filed. As I said then, I think its a real long shot now.

swamt said:
MPO is I hope you guys are successful at bringing in AMFA.

Don't really care if you guys flood the National, we've done it for the last 10 to 12 years.  With the AMFA constitution there really isn't any major worries.

As far as local issues are concerned.  There has been talks about 2 locals for the Dallas area mechs.  One near DFW for you guys to easily attend and of course we would keep ours here near LF.

I hope you guys do make a change, the TWU is very self centered and will hurt the membership just because of past union business practices just because they hate AMFA so bad.

I agree with these points.

AMFA Mechanics at SWA​
 ​
 ​
With the exception of a few SWA posters on this Board we don't see much coming from the SWA or Alaska Mechanics. do YOU support the AMFA Drive at AA?​
 ​
If so what are you willing to do to influence more support to Help the organizers push our card count to a level in which we can get a vote and Make AMFA more of a power in the Industry?​
 ​
I know you guys are concerned about AA taking over AMFA if we bring AMFA here and​
there are questions about the Locals and the money at the Locals.​
 ​
I have seen Little with regards to information coming from the Regional directors or on the National site.​
 ​
There are many stations around your system that USAirways mechanics and you share.​
It would be a big help if you guys could talk to the USAirway guys show them that AMFA is not about shedding auto/facilities/utility mechanics and tell them that AMFA wants them as well as the aircraft mechanics.​
 ​
The NMB has not ruled as of yet so if you can get some of your Shop reps to visit stations such as FLL and others, talk to the USAirways mechanics it would be great.​
 ​
The only way AMFA is going to get to become more than a mom&pop union as the TWU/IAM have put it is for AMFA to get a Big carrier such as AA or UAL.​
Only them will they have the respect the other big union in the industry have.​
This will bring to our class and craft a Lobbying power which will rival the other unions.​
 ​
It is Time for the Mechanics of the Airline Industry to stand together.​
 ​
 ​
Flyers put together by SWA mechanics and Alaska mechanics​
Visits to AA stations and USAirways stations by you guys bringing information.​
Answering questions that our mechanics may have and showing them the TWU and IAM are telling the guys we can't reach and get to sign LIES.​
 ​
AA mechanics supported the NWA mechanics when they walked the picket line at many stations around our system. Money as well as AA mechanics walking the lines showed the NWA management that these guys were not alone.​
 ​
So I am asking you to help us to get this done, make AMFA the union for our class and craft.

Reactions: 3 people