Read This:

June 12, 2003

Dissension in the Ranks

""Now I don''t who to trust and I don''t know what I can believe

They say they want to help me with the stuff they keep on sayin''

But I think those guys just want to keep on playin''

Roulette, with my life""

- "Roulette" by Bruce Springsteen

The essence of America''s labor unions -the principle on which they were founded- is direct participation by individual workers in the decisions that shape their occupation, their wages and their lives. That singular ability is what eventually drew so many of America''s workers to unions. In many ways, labor unions were and are the only avenue of empowerment for the working class of this country.

When union workers are deprived of that ability of direct participation, when they are made to feel irrelevant, when decisions that affect the many are continually made by the few, then members will eventually question not only the quality of their leaders, but also the relevancy of their union.

For far too long, too many unions have been overbearing bureaucracies in which the individual member does not matter. One cannot take away the single, most important reason to be a union member and not expect rebellion or some form of galvanized dissent. Not only will individual members be concerned with the lack of influence they have on their union and jobs, they will also be concerned with their union''s ability to deal with forces aimed at disintegrating organized labor.

As Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky of Illinois said recently, "Just picture another four years of a Bush Administration unfettered by concerns of re-election. Unions are not in the 2008 picture.unions will be under siege, constant well-financed referenda will happen in state after state, legal assaults and investigations will take place at every level, and we''ll always be the target of well-financed media campaigns."

The response of the rank and file is evident. Some TWU mechanics are seeking new representation. The "Pilots Defending the Profession" group is gaining more credence and support. APFA members have removed their union pins, are organizing lawsuits and petitions for the removal of union officers.

They are not taking action out of some whimsy to dissent or as "rebels without a clue". They act because, in some cases, they feel their union officials no longer represent them or their best interests. They act because they are tired of hearing their officers repeating management doublespeak that came straight from corporate headquarters. They act because they feel their voices have been silenced and their will undermined.

Of course, resistance to change is certain because so many fear change of any kind. And some want to preserve the status quo at any cost. In some cases, strong attempts will be made to stifle dissent within the rank and file. Yet, those who are dissatisfied with the direction and actions of their union probably feel as Robert Kennedy did when he said, "The future does not belong to those who are content with today."

Some actions may end up being futile. Some may not.

In the end, the motivation for change, the dissension within the ranks, perhaps comes from a desperate need for hope when so much has been taken away, so many lives terribly altered and so little hope is in the present.

And as St. Augustine said, "Hope has two beautiful children: anger and courage; anger at the way things are and courage to change them."

Steven Baumert

----------------
On 6/18/2003 9:08:22 PM AAmech wrote:

At this point in time we at American are doing WAY more work in house than NW. Its much easier to negotiate a pay increase than it is to bring work "in-house" that the company is already doing cheaper outside!
----------------​
Then why did we just take a 17.5% paycut? What is the current outsource limit in the TWU/AA Labor Agreement? How much work has been brought in-house of late? I know the Eagle Line Maintenance recently went to AA JFK Mechanics but what overhaul maintenance is the TWU bringing in these days?

----------------
On 6/18/2003 9:08:14 AM AAmech wrote:

----------------
On 6/17/2003 9:40:43 PM RV4 wrote:

I want those line-mechanics on my side, not a bunch of half-wit Tulsa based stooges that cannot even give a media interview without appearing like someone straight out of the movie Deliverance!

----------------​
I''m sure that statement will bring in loads of signed cards from Tulsa! Sounds like your starting to sweat! You amfa guys better get this vote going. Amfa will soon be signing their own concessions (on top of their exsisting ones) up at NWA and thats not going to help your cause at AA!
----------------
I notice that you didn''t dispute the statement in any form.

You are correct, that TWU Industry Leading Concession does appear to be putting pressure on our co-professionals of the industry.

What I can''t figure out is why YOU are so damn PROUD of that fact?

----------------
On 6/19/2003 5:32:31 AM RV4 wrote:

You are correct, that TWU Industry Leading Concession does appear to be putting pressure on our co-professionals of the industry.

----------------​
Basic Economics is whats putting the pressure on NWA. They''re bleeding badly and whatever we do right now has no effect on them. The only thing I''m proud about in this whole sorry concession nightmare is that we as professional AMT''s were smart enough to listen to the experts and disregard the ignorant rabble who claimed "the judge will give us a better deal"! I think you should take note of what the pilots union at NW is doing right now. Thats right, they''re working on a CONCESSION package. Why would the most hardcore militant union in the airline industry being doing that? Because they''re SMART!! They know they''ll be HAMMERED in BK court and they''re doing everything they can to avoid it!

----------------
On 6/19/2003 5:32:31 AM RV4 wrote:

----------------

On 6/18/2003 9:08:14 AM AAmech wrote:

----------------

On 6/17/2003 9:40:43 PM RV4 wrote:

I want those line-mechanics on my side, not a bunch of half-wit Tulsa based stooges that cannot even give a media interview without appearing like someone straight out of the movie Deliverance!

----------------​

I''m sure that statement will bring in loads of signed cards from Tulsa!   Sounds like your starting to sweat!  You amfa guys better get this vote going.   Amfa will soon be signing their own concessions (on top of their exsisting ones) up at NWA and thats not going to help your cause at AA!

----------------

----------------​

RV4, history is replete with causes that ended badly, but the oratory was beautiful. I reserve judgement on the personalities in the Union Hall. However I have learned that one should never underestimate people or judge them by their public posturing. Which is why I don''t support AMFA. Nice propaganda, but so far has not done anything for the overhaul mechanics in the aviation business.

The pressure on our "co-professionals" comes from outsourcing, a public that accepts aircraft safety as a given, and a economic vision that glorifies the Icahns and Lorenzos and T B Pickens of this world.

Money don''t smell.

----------------
On 6/19/2003 12:53:29 PM j7915 wrote:

Money don''t smell.

----------------

How would you know? Unless you work for the International.​

----------------

----------------

RV4, history is replete with causes that ended badly, but the oratory was beautiful. I reserve judgement on the personalities in the Union Hall. However I have learned that one should never underestimate people or judge them by their public posturing. Which is why I don''t support AMFA. Nice propaganda, but so far has not done anything for the overhaul mechanics in the aviation business.

The pressure on our "co-professionals" comes from outsourcing, a public that accepts aircraft safety as a given, and a economic vision that glorifies the Icahns and Lorenzos and T B Pickens of this world.

Money don''t smell.

----------------​
And so what is your solution? A reliance on politicians and legislation? Been there, done that?

AFL-CIO? They are losing more airline related union members, than any sector in it''s history. Northwest Flight Attendants voted out Teamsters today, United Airlines Mechanics will be out of the AFL-CIO on July 15th.

When are you going to start propagating courage instead of fear?

There is only way to defend ourselves against outsource of overhaul. And that is with a membership made up of courage and a willingness to strike over the issue. I surely dont see the TWU advocating anything close to this, I see the TWU cowering in fear, and continuing a reliance on weak-ass politicians that do nothing but lie to us. I see a TWU who has stripped the power from the member and is also out of touch with us and our issues.

Please provide us with your road map to defend overhaul, and remember, we must have line-maintenance on our side to win any battle. And they are clearly in favor of AMFA not Tulsa and the TWU.

Anxiously awaiting your solution, instead of rheotorical diatribe.

I want those line-mechanics on my side, not a bunch of half-wit Tulsa based stooges that cannot even give a media interview without appearing like someone straight out of the movie Deliverance!

Gee Dave sounds like you put your foot in your mouth again, isn''t about time you started calling all TULSA Mechanics Communist Bastards again, you remember that Dave, when you called the Tulsa people that on the Plane Business boards and then, so you couldn''t be quoted you edited your post. Its postings like this that will cause more harm to AMFAs organizing drive, a word to the wise should be sufficient.

----------------

Nice propaganda
----------------​
Nice? Are you kidding? Its darn near fabulous!!! The stuff they put out is so good I sometimes find myself reaching for an amfa card to fill out! Of course then I snap out of it before its too late. I give the amfa people credit, they are good at propagandizing. If the twu people were even half as good at putting out a message we''d never be having these discussions.

Yep, you guys are much more than we can handle...cough, choke, laugh, cough.

Huh? What's that? More Cards Signed?

6623 Total Signed Election Authorization Cards by Station and Title Group

Mark it down, there was another 100 cards from Tulsa shipped today!
Damn the luck, TWU lies are failing again.

This is a comment from Dennis Sanderson owner of the-mechanic.com He is known to receive funds from amfa and continually asks for money from Individuals.

Note: In his statement, he disagrees with amfa! I see a light that he is starting to get fed up! Also, I see that he is hoping for a position in amfa National in the future! This won’t be unusual since amfa has sub-contractors administer their affairs! He will fit right in! Especially since he does not work at an Airline anymore! Falls right in with delle, McCormick and seham. Is he being groomed to take over amfa?

Name: Newcomer
E-Mail: Laid-off
Employer: UAL

TM. Truly when IAM at UAL falls you must admit that other carriers will follow. This will be a big blow to these non craft unions. With UAL at #2 surly the #1 AA AMT''s will jump on, and so on. Will you become a rep for AMFA and keep this BB going?
No, I don''t believe I could continue the BB as an official AMFA anything. If I were to accept a position within the AMFA, then I don''t believe this BB could remain independent, and from time to time I do strongly disagree with actions (or inactions) of the AMFA. Additionally, I doubt that the AMFA will conduct any business in Macclesfield, NC.;-) - TM
Note he is on lay-off status;
Received: 06/20/03 05:05:45 EDT Greetings All,
I am now officially on furlough status. I have received many offers of assistance and encouragement to keep the site functioning after this ''retirement.'' My wife Susan and I discussed the issue at length, and although I have some doubts that there will be sufficient interest to sustain the web site for a prolonged period, we agreed to ''give it a try.''
If I receive adequate financial support for the site, I will work part-time rather than full-time after retirement, and continue to maintain the site. My mailing address, and ''PayPal'' donation link for those who prefer that method, appear below. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. - TM
Dennis Sanderson
P.O. Box 361
Macclesfield, NC 27852

Latest posts

Back