AFA Labor Relations Thread 10/6---

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if a west crew goes over 14.5, they get an additional 7 hours pay?

Don't read into this too much. Yes, we get an additional 7 hours if we volunteer to exceed 14.5 hours. HOWEVER, the 7 hours of pay is taxed by the Company at "Gift Tax" rates...therefore your 7 hours of pay is slashed by almost 50 percent.

Here the crew volunteers to exceed their duty day to keep a flight from cancelling, saving the company tons of money on expenses for rerouting passengers to other airlines, hotel accomodations, meal vouchers, etc. The Company later taxes the employee as if it was doing the crew a "favor" by giving them an additional 7 hours which is now less than 4 hours after taxes. When, in fact, the crew who volunteers has saved the Company THOUSANDS of dollars in expenses for a canceled flight.

Sorry, but when my duty day is hovering around 14.5 hours I will always take the option to refuse and walk - even if it delays my return home. The majority of us on the West will do the same and NOT volunteer to exceed 14.5 hours. It's just not worth it.

Also....once you volunteer to exceed 14.5 hours you essentially become the property of Scheduling. They can fly you the rest of the day/night if they so wish. I have seen duty periods in a single day go as high as NINETEEN HOURS on a domestic pairing! Once a crew volunteers to exceed 14.5 hours, they cannot back out.

Don't read into this too much. Yes, we get an additional 7 hours if we volunteer to exceed 14.5 hours. HOWEVER, the 7 hours of pay is taxed by the Company at "Gift Tax" rates...therefore your 7 hours of pay is slashed by almost 50 percent.

That’s plane rediculous! The Gift Tax is some of the most complicated IRS regs on the books, but generally is used for estate purposes. AFA should hire a good CPA and challenge this. Or does paying less taxes go against the AFL-CIO playbook?

Well dish the scoop. My God did it happen or not? I hear Mike & Carol were in PHX crew room and the people of the hour with Lisa ignored. What a pitty. Don't worry girl you can borrow my Celine Dion CD of All By Myself ....but the hairbrush is MINE. It's not a microphone.

Gee, Flores happens to be in the PHX crew room during the possible recall process itself? You still want me to believe that he hasn't manipulated this because he doesn't like Lisa?

BTW, I never recall having met her, so I am not sticking up for a friend. I just recognize a railroading when I see one.

Gee, Flores happens to be in the PHX crew room during the possible recall process itself? You still want me to believe that he hasn't manipulated this because he doesn't like Lisa?

BTW, I never recall having met her, so I am not sticking up for a friend. I just recognize a railroading when I see one.
He was invited to the Council 66 Reserve meeting/roundtable by the Council 66 Officers. I also saw an eline that said he would be in PHX for negotiations this week, so if this was manipulated it must of been by your 66 officers.

Reserve Roundtable was at the airport this morning. The Roundtable had been scheduled prior to the recall meeting date being set. Mike was NOT at the Recall meeting at The Tempe Mission Palms.

Well sorry Liza no one is able to hold your office and be a sneek. I know you thought you were in the right!!!!!!Had a DOA 2 days ago and the ladys daughter was with her. It was sad but so real. Life is not a dance rehearsal. Make sure the steps that you take are gentle. When you have to wave the sword know that the first piece will be your own. Mike and Carol were there on other business I just hope for all of us they are not driven to enjoy what has taken place to Liza.

Its been a while since my last post. Yes Carol and Mike were at the Reserve Roundtable yesterday that was scheduled long before the recall was. No they were not ignored, nor did they ignore anyone. They answered questions wonderfully, actually. The entire negotiating team(Lisa, Jeff, Mike, Carol) was there for the purpose of discussing the reserve section of the merged contract and they did just that. Mike and Carol did not attend the recall meeting, in fact Carol had to go and catch a flight right after the roundtable. I learned a lot of interesting things about how reserve on the east works, and it sounds like the proposal they have would take the best of both reserve systems.

Now, about the recall, yesterday it was revealed entirely that the people spearheading the propaganda and the recall are people who were voted out and were asked to resign from previous administrations. Highly highly suspicious. But yes, the unofficial results as of now are that all 4 will be on a recall ballot that will be sent out to each member and the vote will be electronic.

I learned a lot of interesting things about how reserve on the east works, and it sounds like the proposal they have would take the best of both reserve systems.

Now, about the recall, yesterday it was revealed entirely that the people spearheading the propaganda and the recall are people who were voted out and were asked to resign from previous administrations. Highly highly suspicious. But yes, the unofficial results as of now are that all 4 will be on a recall ballot that will be sent out to each member and the vote will be electronic.

BOTH Rsv systems stink and need to be totally re-vamped. :down:

From AFA66
A special meeting of Local Council 66 was held this afternoon at Tempe Mission Palms Hotel in Tempe. The meeting was held to allow active members in good standing to vote on whether or not a ballot will be sent out for the recall of each individual local council officer.

Approximately 150 members attended the meeting, which was presided over by the AFA International Secretary-Treasurer, Kevin Creighan.

Results of the voting by the members in attendance are as follows:

Officer For Against Abstain
LEC President 220 170 1
LEC Vice President 383 9 0
LEC Sec-Treasurer 229 158 2
LEC Council Rep 362 14 8

Since the majority of votes at the meeting returned as being for or in favor of a recall, all AFA officers names will be placed on a ballot for a recall. The recall ballots will be the final vote of the recall process. Each member will vote on whether or not to recall each officer. The recall ballots will be sent to member’s current address on file within 15 days. Members will be able to send in their ballots or vote electronically for a recall of each individual officer position.

Further information regarding the instructions for voting on the recall of officers will be provided next week.

Below is information from the AFA Constitution and Bylaws regarding officer recalls. Feel free to consult your AFA C&Bs or call the union officer for additional information.

Article IX: Recall of Officers C. Local Council Officers

At a Local Council meeting, which has been called to consider, among other things, a recall, (recall requires a petition in accordance with Article III.D.9 that is signed by 30% of the Active Members in Good Standing, and notice in accordance with Article III.D.4.) such Local Council, by a majority vote of the members present, may request the International Secretary-Treasurer of the Union to initiate and circulate a ballot among the active members in good standing of such Local Council for the removal of a Local Council Officer. Said ballot shall be mailed within fifteen (15) days of the request thereof. The International Secretary-Treasurer of the Union, upon completion of such balloting, shall certify to the Local Executive Council and the Local Council the results of such vote. Should a Local Council Officer facing recall resign prior to the completion of said recall, such resignation shall be effective immediately or no later than the end of the existing month. The recall process shall not halt until such time as said resignation is effective

First I must say that the whole situation is unfortunate but the council brought it on themselves. That being said, I have to say that I am so G'damn proud of you folks on the west. You wanted action taken and your doing so. It's a lot more than you see on the east. Hell the only way you can gain any interest from the pansy flight attendants on the east is hold a fashion show. Can't get anyone involved but show them the latest uniform and it's standing room only. Speaks volumes. So bravo to our west brothers and sisters for taking action. :up:

Hell the only way you can gain any interest from the pansy flight attendants on the east is hold a fashion show. Can't get anyone involved but show them the latest uniform and it's standing room only. Speaks volumes. So bravo to our west brothers and sisters for taking action. :up:

So sad - So true ...."hey did you hear? they have free popcorn in the lounge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back