AFA Labor Relations Thread 12/30-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was furloughed Nov 2001. Came back to LGA May 2008. Thats a long time to be away. B) I was previously based in PHL. So its not ingorance. However, now that I'm here, where can I research to find out for myself what the deal is?

She is the great Wizard of AFA OZ! Pay no attention to the gal behind the curtain!!!! :ph34r:
View attachment 8744

Omg lmfao!!!! PERFECTLY said. Just had to comment on that one before bedtime. I'm howling.

Whozcarol? Wherzcarol? Carol's on the 105, Carol the omniscient... Whatzcarol crafting for us now? I'm sure it's "the best in the industry." - ok, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

God I'm sick of that aftertaste.

She is the great Wizard of AFA OZ! Pay no attention to the gal behind the curtain!!!! :ph34r:
View attachment 8744
Really, you are the first person I have met that does not know much about Carol. That said, she has never been successfully recalled. The woman is smart and has carved herself out to be the gate keeper. If she leaves there is a great void that will need to be filled. Both AFA and the company are fine keeping the status quo.

While I respect Carol on one level, I loath her the next. She has NEVER worked under the last contract she negotiated! She has never picked up trash. She has never sold drinks or BOB. She is just out of touch! You need to understand your members issues before you negotiate anything. Carol, it's time someone brought you down to Earth. You are a horrible communicator and you ramble on with "Carol-ism's" aka examples that make you want to slam back a Tequila shot. My wish for you is that you walked among the people your represent.

That is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. This is what I have been trying to say all along. I just don't have the sense of humor to come up with something so brilliant to describe the Untouchables! I say untouchables because I would include the entire negotiations team. It really is time for you guys to have new ideas flowing from new people.

I thought Mike was the head or I guess team leader of the JNC for the east. And he's the one who communicates for the JNC east. It's crickets from everyone lately - I understand some information is fairly sensitive, but, speaking from the East perspective, we have gotten more info regarding contract negotiation updates from Lisa LeCarre and Council 66's E-lines - and often the information that is disseminated to us is different than what's being put out there. I have never EVER seen anything from Carol regarding our negotiations. My personal opinion is she should be at EVERY LEC meeting where the membership is present. She was invited to Council 70's meeting in March and didn't come. Give me a break.

I know she's on the team but how can you hold her responsible the slow progress of the negotiations? It's the company that's been dragging their feet.
I'm not blaming her for the slow progress, I'm holding her (and the JNC) responsible for the pathetic proposals that are being passed back and forth - specifically the RSV section as highlighted on Council 66's E-line. It's being touted as being this wonderful improvement to what we have, and, from what I've read, it's no more than LTO with RAPS (which the West have) - Show me some improvements that both sides could benefit from. It's so one-sided it's a joke.
I'm playing devil's advocate here so don't pounce.

As for they're not being a rsv on the JNC, I not sure it's possible given the type of meeting schedule the JNC has. I wouldn't know if the MEC RSV chair is being included in proposals or not. Has she said she's been locked out of discussions?
And which rsv proposal is ridiculous? I know there are several that the company has agreed to that sounded decent to me. Like the RAPs.

Our MEC RSV chair has confidentiality agreements she must abide by, but I'm pretty sure if she was invited she would be there. She is a reserve, she walks in reserve shoes, and she is passionate and knowledgable for the cause of improving quality of life for all flight attendants, including reserves. The RSV proposal is ridiculous. Horrid. The RAPS are an improvement but the West currently has that. Again, show me some specific wonderous quality-of-life, improvements in this section. They aren't there.
And who's stonewalling you?

Many of us feel that we have gotten the brush off for years. At the March meeting in PHL many people united and made motions, seconded motions, and passed motions. For example, we have been begging for an A-day system that provides some sort of relief or build up line for reserves for years. For years we were told, "the blockholders will never go for that." After being stonewalled on this issue for so long, motions were made and passed. Thankfully when it went to the MEC in Vegas the motion among the LECP's was passed. (Thank you, LECP's) - Is it lip service? Is it just to placate us? I don't know, but I'm glad some things we motioned for were explored. That said, it seems with the INTL elections we weren't fairly represented as the way Council 70's membership voted to have John M vote was flat out ignored - in fact he went 100% the opposite way, casting the deciding votes for Veda and Sarah, instead of supporting our US candidates.
Just questions. Not trying to start an argument. :)

Just answers, not trying to be obtuse or closed minded.

We feel we get it from the company, scheduling, the customers, fellow employees sometimes, and sometimes the union. If people would start taking care of each other, we would start taking better care of things as well. Until then, watch out for the summertime madness. The way we are short staffed combined with the bend-over-and-take-it from scheduling and the "Oh well" from AFA is going to lead to many sickcations.

Pity.

Reactions: 1 person
FLYBY - Um, so I tried to reply to the points made line by line but it turned into one big giant thing that looks like your original quote with my answers in it. When I tried to edit it I ended up voting down my own post and now I'm frustrated. Anyway, hope you can see my writing inside your original quote. I'll work on brushing up on my posting.

FLYBY - Um, so I tried to reply to the points made line by line but it turned into one big giant thing that looks like your original quote with my answers in it. When I tried to edit it I ended up voting down my own post and now I'm frustrated. Anyway, hope you can see my writing inside your original quote. I'll work on brushing up on my posting.

I got kind of tickled trying to read that thang :)

But anyway, thanks for trying to explain what's going on with you and your fellow reserves. I'm pretty frustrated too but we all have to keep our eye on the ball and try not to get bogged down in petty politics. Of which there is plenty and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Who's Carol???

I was displaced from LGA in February and as of mid-May I STILL (as do probably all former LGA FAs) do not have an AFA mailbox? Y'all know her but being a "new hire" I would LUV to get some mail! :D
Forget AFA mailboxes. Did you know that in one base, bottom reserve AFA reps are taken off schedule on the days they are "on call" as "AFA business" and fly etb trips on "off days". How does that sit with everyone? I am here many years and could not have Mother's Day off, yet bottom reserve AFA people were taken off the schedule. What "AFA" work do you suppose they were doing on SUNDAY, Mother's Day? This is where the membership should question our AFA leaders that are here for "us"! This is a definate manipulation of the system. As a "senior reserve", I'm appalled and basically feel that they are no better than the management team we bash all the time....at least my 30-year Supervisor was working on Mother's Day!!!

Forget AFA mailboxes. Did you know that in one base, bottom reserve AFA reps are taken off schedule on the days they are "on call" as "AFA business" and fly etb trips on "off days". How does that sit with everyone? I am here many years and could not have Mother's Day off, yet bottom reserve AFA people were taken off the schedule. What "AFA" work do you suppose they were doing on SUNDAY, Mother's Day? This is where the membership should question our AFA leaders that are here for "us"! This is a definate manipulation of the system. As a "senior reserve", I'm appalled and basically feel that they are no better than the management team we bash all the time....at least my 30-year Supervisor was working on Mother's Day!!!

Name names and the membership can ask questions.

You must be careful here. Just playing that devil's advocate. I don't know exactly how you guys work your schedules but I have a basic understanding. I believe that reserves bid schedules for Off days a couple weeks before the start of the month for which they bid. I am making the assumption that union reps that are not doing full time union work must do the same if they are reserves themselves. I am certain just like any other reserve it is difficult to plan union work around your schedule. If there is legitimate union work being done on those days I would not have a problem with that. Remember, someone is suppose to always be in the office. Maybe one of the other reserves has a meeting or something of that nature. Others might have the day off. As far as doing ETB on their days off I don't really see a problem with it as long as they jumped through the same hoops everyone else has to to pick up those trips. They are entitled to days off like anyone else. During those days off they are free to do as anyone else does on their off days. As long as is done by contract as it is written today. Again, I say legitimate reasons. If they are just deciding on a whim that they need the day off then that is another story.

I think this is totally different than the former Philly leader that was collecting her company pay for doing Union business while the office sat empty. Then also doing More ETB then would have been possible with an actual schedule that any other flight attendant had to bid. But alas she finally resigned after threat of recall as I have been told. I heard that meeting was quite a spectacle.

During that time the office was never empty. Baja and others were there and always answered. Given what AFA is today I would almost take the old Local President back. At least she did something and showed up. These yahoo's make her look tame.

They(BH) also make comments about us sitting around just to collect a 73 hour guarantee. Sorry Miss I was hired in 1984, but I'm on B scale and 73hrs is not much more than a bag of Cranberry Nut Mix. Yes, VA I agree with your post. The Union keeps protecting those who are going to sadly be deceased or in a nursing home in the next 5-10 years. Their human cry is "The International Girls won't go for that." OVER IT!

You can't be on "B" scale if you were hired in 1984 unless you were hired in a different department. What is your DOH as a f/a?

A f/a w/ a1984 hire date would not be a reserve unless they chose to be one. And a 1984 hire date would not be on B scale unless they have been off flying most of their career and have flown less than 5 yrs.

So which one describes you more accurately?

Whoops....better have another cup of coffee. Wrong page replied to.

During that time the office was never empty. Baja and others were there and always answered. Given what AFA is today I would almost take the old Local President back. At least she did something and showed up. These yahoo's make her look tame.

I will not doubt what you believe to be true. However, I do have a friend that a a specific issue and had to leave message that was not returned. They also called one of the cell numbers available and that call was not returned until about a week later. By then the problem was solved by a call to I believe Pittsburgh. Again, I don't doubt what you are saying to be true but can only recount a friends experience with the Philly office at the time. To be fair, perhaps they called the wrong on call person or something of that nature. I do know for sure that the local office was called and a message was left with no return call. I have no knowledge of when the call was made for sure(maybe not business hours). To take a week to finally return a call seems like poor communications in the office.

I want you guys to succeed in securing a new contract that benefits all flight attendants. I have friends there so that is my wish for them. I have enjoyed being a customer of US when I can. Partly because I have friends that work there. Partly because it is just the most convenient to the destinations that I need to frequent mostly on the east coast.

This is not a jab at past reps and present. It is about the fact that nobody seems to be listening to the present flight attendants needs. I think enough blame is available to go around. This would include the many flight attendants that don't take the time to cast ballots for their leaders or even vote yea or ney for their own contract. Thus the reason you guys are in the position you are in now.

You can't be on "B" scale if you were hired in 1984 unless you were hired in a different department. What is your DOH as a f/a?

A f/a w/ a1984 hire date would not be a reserve unless they chose to be one. And a 1984 hire date would not be on B scale unless they have been off flying most of their career and have flown less than 5 yrs.

So which one describes you more accurately?

Whoops....better have another cup of coffee. Wrong page replied to.

Um, I think she was referring to the snarky flight attendant as "Miss I was hired in 1984" as in that's her name because that's her nummmmmberrrrrrrrr. Me thinks you read her post incorrectly.

Seniority is a joke around here anyway unless you're a dinosaur. A 1989 hire may as well consider himself or herself a 12 year flight attendant because we haven't hired since 2001... And with this eternally shrinking place we are getting more and more junior by the day.

Bless everyone's hearts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts