AFA Tentative Details Released

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
http://afausairways.org/Merger/ta_bullet2012.pdf

All in all...not too bad considering!

JNC UPDATE - Tentative Agreement Summary

The complete agreement will be available on the AFA websites and Wings in the next few days. Additional detailed information will also be made available in the coming days. A summary of the Tentative Agreement is available here. (http://afausairways.org/Merger/ta_bullet2012.pdf)

This agreement contains.

Pay rates that compare favorably to other major mainline carriers.

Some of the tightest work rules (rest, hours and rescheduling) in the industry.

Retained strong scope protection which is more important now than ever.

An Involuntary Furlough clause to protect jobs as a result of the implementation of PBS , new Scheduling and Hours of Service provisions.

A reserve system far superior to either East or West contracts.

That?s not to say we got everything we wanted in this agreement. We fought for higher pay and a shorter duration. The National Mediation Board played a very strong role in getting both parties to reach an agreement. The TA contains reductions in vacation for West flight attendants moves West flight attendants to the Company wide health care plans. The TA does not restore the East reserve system lost in 2002.

The state of the industry and the economy means "endless" negotiations are not a viable option. This is now in the membership's hands. The question as we see it is, did we negotiate the best contract we could give the state of the industry, the Company we faced, and the difficulty of getting a release from the National Mediation Board to strike? We think the answer is clearly yes. We squeezed every bit of money out of the company and were ready to walk away if management gutted our scope protections.

The decision before us is clear cut. Do we maintain our existing contracts for the foreseeable future or vote for immediate and significant improvements. The JNC's assessment is that after five years of negotiations the idea that we can immediately go back to the bargaining table if the agreement is rejected has no basis in fact. If history is any guide, it could be years before another TA will be sent to the members for a vote. East flight attendants know that it was four years after the failed 1995 TA before a new agreement was reached. That agreement provided a mere five percent pay increase. When the West TA was voted down in 1997 a new agreement was not ratified until 1999.

What the JNC will tell you in further communications and road shows is exactly what this agreement provides for and how those provisions compare to the industry.
Below is a list of cities where we will conduct road shows. We will publish the exact dates and times once the details have been completed.

We look forward to everyone's participation in this important decision.

Road Show Cities*

PHL, DCA, CLT, PHX, LAS, LAX, PIT, BOS, FLL, MCO and GSO.

*dates and times to be published in further publications.

Thank you,

The Joint Negotiating Committee

Dont vote on bullet points and a highlight sheet, make them provide the whole CBA.

I see it going down in flames.

Reactions: 7 people
Dont vote on bullet points and a highlight sheet, make them provide the whole CBA.

I see it going down in flames.

You are wrong! Although I will review the entire agreement I am pleased with what I see so far. Now go have a beer on me!

Reactions: 1 person
Because your not a west FA losing vacation, paying more for insurance, a raise that will go to pay for their insurance.

I am wrong?

Did I miss that the FAs voted and ratified it?

We shall see when the vote is counted now, wont we?

Highlights are used to show good things, has the AFA put out a lowlight sheet yet to show all the things you lost or bad things in this TA?

Reactions: 7 people
Because your not a west FA losing vacation, paying more for insurance, a raise that will go to pay for their insurance.

I am wrong?

Did I miss that the FAs voted and ratified it?

We shall see when the vote is counted now, wont we?

Highlights are used to show good things, has the AFA put out a lowlight sheet yet to show all the things you lost or bad things in this TA?

Funny how many thought the west would jump on this. They're about has far from voting on this as a group can be.

As you've just read, the east is actually impressed and they're the ones with the votes to pass it.

I truly feel for the west. They're chained to the east.

I think you underestimate the east reserves who are getting hosed again.
Exactly how are reserves getting hosed? More money, trip assignments in seniority order, higher guarantee, more days off (for West), minimum for split trips. Sounds awful.

There was a whole thread about how the changes to the reserve system was bad.

Your reading highlights, not the whole CBA.

Dont you remember the uproar about what Flores agreed to in regard to the reserves?

Exactly how are reserves getting hosed? More money, trip assignments in seniority order, higher guarantee, more days off (for West), minimum for split trips. Sounds awful.
PHX reserves lose a day off. Just from the bullet points myself I gain a nice raise, but lose a day off a month and a weeks worth of vacation and my vacation is worth quite a bit less :(

There was a whole thread about how the changes to the reserve system was bad.

Considering that no one other than AFA officials and negotiators have seen the whole thing, sounds like you're just spreading rumors. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but you're not an expert on every groups job and working conditions. Heck, you don't even know what being on reserve is like do you? How many reserve stock clerks did US have?

Jim

I think you underestimate the east reserves who are getting hosed again.

I think this will pass... I think the East reserves will see this as an improvement over current reserve rules...

A reserve will get the following improvements:

Increased base pay of 6-9%
Increased guarantee to 75 hrs. (Most don't break guarantee anyway, so this will be more hours at a higher pay rate)
5:15 min day for a reserve trip. A reserve called to do a CLT-MYR turn will get 5:15 instead of 1:45... They may actually be able to break guarantee.
Ability to pass trip based on seniority.
DH pay at 100% pay and credit... (This could be viewed as bad or good) At current 50% pay no credit, the DH gets paid above guarantee, so that would stop, but the 100 credit will count for reaching guarantee.
Establishing a RAP much like the reserve pilots PT times. Being on call 24 hours a day six days in a row can be tough... Now they know when they can sleep and not worry about the company calling them during their rest.

HOWEVER, all that being said, it depends on what was given up to get these improvements... so yes, if these are the "High" points, let's wait to see the "low" points...