Agents voting with their feet

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
absolutely right, they will not find a 20.00 dollar per hour job with their level of REAL world experience or education.

Just recently we had an excellent customer service agent quit. Reason: she wasn''t waiting around to be expressed.
Another excellent agent is also quitting due to to the stress created in dealing with 5 unreliable express carriers. The burgerization of USAirways is beginning to take its toll. Below my nominations for the express Hall of Shame:

1. By far PSA. Great people but the 328 _ucks, maintenance cancellations and weight problems constantly.

2. Midway, they''re trying but with a hand full of a/c''s one maintenace problem cripples them for the remainder of the day.

3. Mesa and Chataucha (sorry if I misspelled it). Tie.

4. Piedmont, the Dash might be the slow boat to China, but they are by far the most dependable of all the express carriers.

And while I''m venting it is shameful that the company will not give us internet access to track the express a/c. Its embarrasing to call a friend at a DL gate so they can tell you where your flt is.

Thank you,

I feel better.

well I hate to say it but Im sure there are many involumtarily furloughed customer service agents who will be very excited to take her place and thankful to have the job! Because once she or he gets out into the real world and sees what kind of jobs are offered they will quickly see that although USAIRWAYS is not a perfect company they afford alot of people a good income and nice lifestyle and great benefits. And most agents do not have the skills or education to find a job that pays on par what they make at U-and truth be told that is why despite all the complaing -they stay! So talking with their feet as you put it doesnt send a message to anyone because if they do not want to be there it is good they left and like I said there are plenty of displaced agents who will jump at the chance to take their place and appreciate it!

----------------
On 4/28/2003 4:12:50 PM 4merresrat wrote:
And most agents do not have the skills or education to find a job that pays on par what they make at U-

Key Phrase "most agents" I work with some very educated people, others are good at networking, others have a very strong work ethic, and some are just plain deficient. I''m not picking on people that have had the misfortune of being layed off, the market place will take care of the caliber of our customer service, The wheels have been set in motion.

Again, even making 13.56 an hr plus benefits, flights, flexibility, vacation, it is STILL a good job . And if you got out to the"real world and if you don''t have a specific skill, or a profession you are not going to find that kind of pay and benefits and that is why so many people complain and complain but still stay, they are angry and blame the "company" that provides them a job, and they listen to the unions retoric, that they deserve more and they are loyal and professionals, well its not true and the union gets employees to think in a certain way that is just not realistic and is a falsehood that they deserve to make this amount of money etc. The world is changing, the airline industry is changing and it isnt nesecsarily in our favor, but lets face it we have been overpayed for a very long time! Tough but true!

----------------
On 4/28/2003 4:18:11 PM skyflyr69 wrote:

absolutely right, they will not find a 20.00 dollar per hour job with their level of REAL world experience or education.

----------------​

With all due respect, 20.00 per hour is fine but with you get expressed the 20.00 becomes 13.01 per hour with less benefits and more expensive insurance etc. At that point one must compare the the job with others out there in the market and make the choice that is best for them. Perhaps you speak from a hub station that is not at risk of being expressed. If so, good for you but many employees are looking into the eyes of RJ''s and commuters. If your fortunate to be MDA, if there ever is one, you will make a whopping 13.56 and have the benefits of AA eagle employees. Check out their benefits....Food stamps are in order. So, as much as I respect your decision to stay, I also respect their decision to leave.
Put a fork in those stations...They are DONE !!!

Let me be clear, Im not saying there are not educated people, or decent people working for U, just the opposite, however, there are alot of people who if not for this airline job would be making substantially less than 20 or even 13 dollars an hour. But the union has unskilled people thinking that they "deserve" x amount of money and has them enraged and with they attitude how dare they cut my pay. The airlines payscales have been much higher than the general job market for -Im sorry-but unskilled labor. Of course I am not speaking of Pilots or even Mechanics, who do have specific skills. But alot of customer service agents do not. I know for a fact the average pay scale for a call center is between 8 dollars and 10 dollars an hour!

Lets play real world for a while. I notice the post that said "she". According to the US Census Bureau, the median household income for non-family household- female was $20,264 in 2001. The median household income for a female householder - no husband present was $28,142. At $13.01 an hour for 40 hours for 52 weeks comes out to $27,060.80 without any overtime. 5 hours of overtime at time and a half pushes that pay to $32,134.70 per year. The base pay is well above what at least 50% of the population is making, and very nearly equal to the median for a single female householder with no husband. And since $20,264 is the median, that means that there are a whole bunch of jobs that pay less than that.

Pay cuts are a ####, but bottom line, you are way above poverty level - even with a cut. More power to her for taking action on her own though.

4merresrat
Now I get it, YOU have a desk right next to Jerry Glass. He has been feeding you his line.....He has convinced you of your worth...and his union busting speeches have been sucessful against you ....He probably even has you thinking that YOU are overpaid and HE is NOT....
Enough said.....Thanks for the Laugh!!!

I guess I hit a nerve, sorry if my post offends but its true, and excuse my ignorance but Im not really sure who Jerry Glass is as refered to in previous post. I guess my question remains unanswered, if you hate the company so much, and you have all been so "wronged" and your not getting the pay you deserve, why not find another job?
Signed me, The RAT!!!1

----------------
On 4/28/2003 4:12:50 PM 4merresrat wrote:

well I hate to say it but Im sure there are many involumtarily furloughed customer service agents who will be very excited to take her place and thankful to have the job!
----------------​
I hate to say it, but there are a thousand times more Mgt dudes and dudettes who would love to take Siegel''s place if he decided to leave, than there are res people who would take a res job at U if a res agent left.

And you can take that to the bank. (At the bank--for faster serivce may I suggest the res deposits line instead of the Mgt. deposits line.)

4merresrat,
FYI..There are many uneducated individuals seated behind desks at the Crystal Palace. For proof, take a look at the recent promotions (Directors & Managers) in Inflight. While you may have never furthered your education, I assure you many of the so called ''uneducated blue collar workers'' are college graduates!

What will happen to customer service when the majority of USAirways agents are making between 9 and 13 an hour? I will tell you what: HIGH turnover rate. Constant retraining on complex computer systems that are constantly changing. Agents who will quit when they are tired of working a 7 day a week/17 hours a day operation. Agents who are burnt out on working weekends for years and years. Try getting yelled at and putting out fires because of constant express cancellations. Yes....USAirways will always find someone to work the job...but retraining expenses and bad customer service need to be thrown in to the equation. Everyone knows you get what you pay for. Time will tell.

If you live in the right city,(JAX is one example) there is a major ISP whose cust svc center(after 6 months) pays salary and comm that can range from 30K at avg or minimum performance levels to 50-75 K or more at above avg levels., so there are potentially good jobs out there, and luckily I am in one of those cities.

High employee turnover will INCREASE costs due to training and OT to cover the missing employee. I would guess pay cuts will be coming down the line as employee payroll increases.