Airbus Ruling/Risky Business/Info for Dave

---"Chip answers: I agree, in fact, it wouldn't surrpise me if the Company issues more mechanic furlough notices to punish the IAM and its members for fighting the A320 outsourcing effort"

Could very well be. Insofar as the "outsourcing effort" was rooted in a bona-fide attempt to circumvent an existing ( and highly concessionary ) agreement, it also reeks of irrationality. This may well be the "wedge issue" that brings out this team's heretofore unknown unltimate intentions with this airline into clear view.

Chip Munn said:
AOG:

AOG said: "I'm as concerned with another possible reduction in the headcount ..as I am with the thought of being asked to give up more wages or benefits. Niether will do any actual good."

Chip answers: I agree, in fact, it wouldn't surrpise me if the Company issues more mechanic furlough notices to punish the IAM and its members for fighting the A320 outsourcing effort.

Regards,

Chip
Blindly giving them you’re backing whether it’s rational or not will not hold your job, you too will be history if this team is left unchecked.

cavalier said:
Chip Munn said:
AOG:

AOG said: "I'm as concerned with another possible reduction in the headcount ..as I am with the thought of being asked to give up more wages or benefits. Niether will do any actual good."

Chip answers: I agree, in fact, it wouldn't surrpise me if the Company issues more mechanic furlough notices to punish the IAM and its members for fighting the A320 outsourcing effort.

Regards,

Chip
Blindly giving them you’re backing whether it’s rational or not will not hold your job, you too will be history if this team is left unchecked.
Cav,
I can't help but agree with you on this.

Should Dave attempt to seek revenge on the IAM for losing the Airbus battle? U is going down the tubes for certain.

The lowered headcount in maintenence is having an impact on clearing MEL's on the overnights..as well as delaying returns to service on Acft in both PIT and CLT heavy maintenence.

The lowered headcount in heavy has made running a 7 day operation a joke. CLT has maybe 20 mechanics working 3 Acft...sometimes four on the weekends. You have one foreman over seeing 3 Acft...1 Planner...and maybe a stores clerk. With ratios like this..and the limited amount of accomplishments it achieves , I see it as near pointless to even keep the lights burning during these times.

I have always advocated Heavy Maintenance returning to a 5 day schedule in both PIT and CLT. This would not only make a happier crew...it would also be a better staffed one.

Before anyone jumps up and says that my views are self-serving....think again , my job is a 24/7 365 days a year ordeal...and making life rational in heavy maintenence would not benefit me for a moment.....it's all about being practical for a change.

Hope777 said:
AOG- Lets not forget about the Air Taxi that came into EWR the other night as well. Two mechanics from PIT (4 RON aircraft you would think we would atleast have 3rd shift maintenance) and a very small box to fix a 300. The night before I had Delta fixing one aircraft and United on another. Lets talk about the waste of money from DAVEY. But it a shame that a company our size doesnt have a few .50cent parts in inventory. Where is our BOD's and why hasnt Dave started setting up shop for the Airbus work instead of wasting even more money?
I can understand not having the maintenance in EWR, but it is inexcusable if you are not going to do that to have enough B737 stock in LGA for a mechanic to roadtrip across the Hudson to work an aircraft, especially is you are talking about a box of 50 cent parts. That is working smart, but it seems this place is destined to always work hard. I am sure that air taxi was upwards of a grand to operate, plus overtime for the PIT mechanics. And they wonder where all the waste is?

heres the latest: Dear Sisters and Brothers,

On November 19th the IAM will file a written brief opposing US Airways’ request to overturn the District Court’s injunction preventing US Airways from subcontracting Airbus heavy maintenance. The IAM's brief will be available on the District 141-M website, www.iam141m.org, as soon as it is filed.

Additionally, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit has scheduled oral argument in the US Airways subcontracting dispute for January 13, 2004 in Philadelphia, PA. IAM attorneys will argue in support of the District Court’s ruling.

We will update you on any further developments as they occur.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Robert Roach, Jr.
General Vice President James Varsel
Airline Coordinator Scotty Ford
President/Directing General Chairman

William Freiberger
General Chairman
IAM District Lodge 141M Steve Ebert
General Chairman
IAM District Lodge 141M Anthony Giammarco
General Chairman
IAM District Lodge 141M

David Snyder
General Chairman
IAM District Lodge 141M Tom Regan
Representative
IAM District Lodge 141M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's too bad U will go through the holidays short of aircraft just so Dave can show the IAM , What? Certainly not that he is willing to work together to bring the airline back to profitability :down:

Appeals Court to Hear US Airways Outsourcing Case
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit is set to hear oral argument on Jan. 13, 2004 in the IAM-US Airways subcontracting dispute.

The U.S. District court ruled on Oct. 21 that US Airways’ use of a foreign-owned maintenance facility to overhaul the carrier’s Airbus aircraft violated the scope clause of the IAM-US Airways collective bargaining agreement.

On November 5, the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals denied US Airways’ request for an emergency stay of the District Court’s preliminary injunction and set the stage for the hearing now scheduled to take place on Jan. 13 in Philadelphia.

IAM attorneys will argue in defense of the contract language preventing US Airways from subcontracting the maintenance work and will file a written brief opposing US Airways' request to overturn the lower court’s ruling. The IAM's brief will be available on the District 141-M website, www.iam141m.org, as soon as it is filed on Nov. 19.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ne out of the red. :down:

Daves a smart guy! He says he will cut 200 to 300 million bucks in Maintenance, flight ops, and HR next year. If all the mechanics were laid off 4000x 60k they cound save 240 million.