Aircraft maint issues

The IAM not doing any picketing really chaps my hide. I've brought it up to union reps and they just shrug their shoulders.

Walked the picket line at my station and the IAM was a no show during my march period.

I was in New York on vacation and I went to the New York informational picket at West 42nd Street and Broadway (Times Square). Walked the picket line with my oldest daughter, large turn out and quite a few pilots. I don't remember seeing any IAM shirts there.

Sad, isn't it? Welcome to my world, by the way. And the number one reason why we don't show up is, they don't tell us. From the union guys around here, everything is going great. All we worry about is the overtime list.

I told you guys years ago, back during the AMFA drive, that you'll get no help from us, and that holds true today.

And why should we care anyways? That's the attitude around here. I understand your pain, but on our end, it'll be yet another concessionary contract we have to endure.

We already got your non-rev flight rules, we'll probably end up with your medical plan, your bumping rules, your seniority rules concerning Leads, we'll probably lose Overhaul in PIT and CLT under article 2A, and who know what else. All concessions for us.

The past 15 years we've given up so much. We don't want to give up any more. And to think we were once the highest paid in the industry back when we had "parity plus 1%." That was a parity wage rate with either 5 or 7 majors(not sure, memory bad), and I think also including SWA, plus 1%.

So the longer we hold out, the better for us. At least in PIT, anyways.

Sad, isn't it? Welcome to my world, by the way. And the number one reason why we don't show up is, they don't tell us. From the union guys around here, everything is going great. All we worry about is the overtime list.

I told you guys years ago, back during the AMFA drive, that you'll get no help from us, and that holds true today.

And why should we care anyways? That's the attitude around here. I understand your pain, but on our end, it'll be yet another concessionary contract we have to endure.

We already got your non-rev flight rules, we'll probably end up with your medical plan, your bumping rules, your seniority rules concerning Leads, we'll probably lose Overhaul in PIT and CLT under article 2A, and who know what else. All concessions for us.

The past 15 years we've given up so much. We don't want to give up any more. And to think we were once the highest paid in the industry back when we had "parity plus 1%." That was a parity wage rate with either 5 or 7 majors(not sure, memory bad), and I think also including SWA, plus 1%.

That explains alot, a shot gun wedding that only the pilots really wanted. So basically if you US air guys feel you are screwed either way, why participate. As far as getting AMFA in there if they adopt the TWU scope language , that doesn't help your situation either. That right there is just human nature.

Yet you're still here with your anti-AMFA rhetoric!!

Don't miss a chance, do ya?
No I was making a statement, if you can get AMFA to make guarantees to the USAir guys for what they are concerned about, maybe you could have a successful card drive this time, to get rid of your Association, that you guys hate. Just because I don't like them, doesn't mean you couldn't make them work. See like others on here I complain about our situation at SWA, I don't tell people their stuff sucks when I don't work there.

Found out from the AMFA national director that Southwest pulled their airplanes out of Aeroman and they are now being done in the U.S. This leaves openings for AA if they get increased outsourcing. We cannot let them do that.

I did not know it actually happened already, but yes, we did know the co. wanted to pull out of there badly. Company NOT happy with the maint. down there. Too many reworks after planes came out of there too. I'm just glad they pulled them back to the USA. I voted NO on that contract and I will always vote NO as long as international outsourcing is in it. I simply cannot stop the co. from outsourcing, but I will never vote for international outsourcing. Keep America working. With the AMFA contract, they got language in there that the co. will in fact have to have the unions blessing in order to do any more international outsourcing, which I don't think the membership would ever allow again. OldGuy, if you guys can prevent it please do. In my opinion, I do not think it would be good idea. None of them are watched by the FAA like we are here in the states, or drug tested.

I believe everything you post. I now see why the total division of these two unions. IAM is telling everyone that everything is just fine and all is going very well. Where on the TWU side it's all negative, selling out the farm and outsourcing everything. Once this T/A is revealed it's gonna be a huge eye opener for BOTH sides, just wait and watch. Thanks for your honesty in your post, it does say a lot.

No I was making a statement, if you can get AMFA to make guarantees to the USAir guys for what they are concerned about, maybe you could have a successful card drive this time, to get rid of your Association, that you guys hate. Just because I don't like them, doesn't mean you couldn't make them work. See like others on here I complain about our situation at SWA, I don't tell people their stuff sucks when I don't work there.

Guarantees from an airline union. Funny! My experience with being a member of the illustrious TWU/ATD is I can pretty much guarantee one thing for sure.

And go ahead and chime in. Most know our stuff sucks (except for fleet) even if they don't work at AA.

Last edited:
I did not know it actually happened already, but yes, we did know the co. wanted to pull out of there badly. Company NOT happy with the maint. down there. Too many reworks after planes came out of there too. I'm just glad they pulled them back to the USA. I voted NO on that contract and I will always vote NO as long as international outsourcing is in it. I simply cannot stop the co. from outsourcing, but I will never vote for international outsourcing. Keep America working. With the AMFA contract, they got language in there that the co. will in fact have to have the unions blessing in order to do any more international outsourcing, which I don't think the membership would ever allow again. OldGuy, if you guys can prevent it please do. In my opinion, I do not think it would be good idea. None of them are watched by the FAA like we are here in the states, or drug tested.

Or background checks. I wonder if their fingerprints are taken also.

Guarantees from an airline union. Funny! My experience in being a member of the illustrious TWU/ATD I can pretty much guarantee one thing for sure.

And go ahead and chime in. Most of us know our stuff sucks (except for fleet) even if they don't work at AA.
I can't tell you guys what you should do, I just don't care for our lack of progress. The main reason we have what we have, main reason is never going bankrupt. Believe me Bankruptcy sucks, I was at the original Midway Airlines, and when they went out of business, they owed me over $2600 last pay check, got $14. Only you guys determine your future.

Non rev rules? How is that a concession? Most of us would be fine with either - as we have an average of 30 years or more. Your medical plan wasn't gonna stand the test of time anyway, the pilots don't even have that old school coverage anymore. Crew Chief seniority? the system you guys use would give your side an unfair advantage because of the way a guy starts accruing CC seniority by bidding in early on to start the clock, then getting out. Straight seniority is the fair way to do it. Bumping rules seem to be in a state of flux. BTW, your contract, although currently superior to the TWU contract - is not that great either. I'm sure Gary Peterson knows what to negotiate for, and if Doug Parker has any honesty at all, he will agree to a true industry leading contract.

I told you they would soon get tired of you over here on their forum.

The thing is that us air management took over AA . So the non rev thing was made not on a twu membership level that was made by Doug and company. Now on the contract insurance etc I would like to have the cheaper premiums . But I can’t complain with all the surgery’s and medical issues I have had the last 3 years plus another 1 are 2 more surgeries on the way they covered me . Plus my foot dr says most insurance companies will only cover one pair of medicaly needed inserts for my foot ulcer . But they covered the second one 100 percent . So it might be higher then your used to but it covers you. Of course I have the value plan. But since we want know what’s in there until a Ta comes back. We all have one vote do you really thank twu members want to see clt and pit close are any station in the us where we do maintenance at. There are some igm that will not care. On the crew chief seniority issues why should twu crew chiefs get screwed when most have 30 are more years. There needs to be a fair way that protects both side crew chiefs. I have to be honest I did not want the merger but out of my control. So we all need to start working together and get a industry leading contract. The company sees our in fighting they love it.
The twu members have gave up more then the iam over the 14 are 15 years. Plus the iam got a new contract before the jcba talks started .

The thing is that us air management took over AA . So the non rev thing was made not on a twu membership level that was made by Doug and company. Now on the contract insurance etc I would like to have the cheaper premiums . But I can’t complain with all the surgery’s and medical issues I have had the last 3 years plus another 1 are 2 more surgeries on the way they covered me . Plus my foot dr says most insurance companies will only cover one pair of medicaly needed inserts for my foot ulcer . But they covered the second one 100 percent . So it might be higher then your used to but it covers you. Of course I have the value plan. But since we want know what’s in there until a Ta comes back. We all have one vote do you really thank twu members want to see clt and pit close are any station in the us where we do maintenance at. There are some igm that will not care. On the crew chief seniority issues why should twu crew chiefs get screwed when most have 30 are more years. There needs to be a fair way that protects both side crew chiefs. I have to be honest I did not want the merger but out of my control. So we all need to start working together and get a industry leading contract. The company sees our in fighting they love it.
The twu members have gave up more then the iam over the 14 are 15 years. Plus the iam got a new contract before the jcba talks started .
So as an American guy, what is acceptable to you, if your crew chiefs have 30 years if you go strictly by seniority then they would stay a crew chief. I am a lead, we go strictly by mechanic seniority, some people that are leads with less seniority don' t like when a mechanic with more seniority than them becomes a lead or an inspector.Some people want category seniority, we will never have that at SWA.