APA went TWU on is members - LCC/APA deal

The union has power of attorney

Funny, I don't remember ever signing a power of attorney handing all decision making over to a union. The union/member relationship is governed by the union Constitution and bylaws, not a power of attorney. I might add that unions have differences in their Constitutions and bylaws - not every union follows the practice of the IAM.

Now for the other part - where does it say that US can hold contract talks with AA pilots? Did AA give US a power of attorney that enables US to do that? Or is US trying to short circuit the bankruptcy process for it's own gain? Much like it appears that the APA is trying to circumvent the membership...

Then the biggie - it appears that you believe that the union should make these decisions for the members, who can't be trusted with a vote. So what's wrong with members having a vote?

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Where does it say it doesnt?

Every union has power of attorney when it comes to negotiations and grievances.

Where does it say it doesnt?

Every union has power of attorney when it comes to negotiations and grievances.

700 is correct. The union has the ability to bring it to you or not to bring it to you. It's called a " Sign-Off " i believe. Its the unions choice. My question would be if there were a merger does the LBO if passed stay just that till a transition agreement is voted on or does DOUG out of the goodness of his heart say that the letter of agreement pre BK hearing apply?.........Im not sure but i would hope so for " Peace " sake.

Reactions: 1 person
I was trying to be gentle, but unions don't have power of attorney from their members. That is a specific legal document and in almost all cases given by one individual to another. Unions do have the right to represent their members on those members behalf, a right bestowed by the NMB and not a power of attorney, but that shouldn't mean doing things that are against the member's wishes.

Some unions' C&B/L's, presumably the IAM being one, rule with an iron fist - what the union wants is what the union does and the members be damned. Some unions' C&B/L's leave it up to each bargaining unit to decide what merits a membership vote and what doesn't - ALPA followed that model. Some unions' C&B/L's specify what the membership is entitled to vote on - one of the few things USAPA got right although one could argue with what it specified as qualifying for membership vote.

So being the expert on the APA C&BL's that you obviously think you are, which box does the APA go into?

Jim

It's called a " Sign-Off " i believe.

At last, someone who knows the right terminology - I think almost every union that represents employees at more than one employer has to sign off of agreements. It's common sense since the union is as responsible for adhering to the agreement as the company. Among single employer unions it's more of an open choice.

But it still depends on the union's C&B/L's. Unlike 700, I make no claim of expertise on any of the AA unions C&BL's so don't know what they specify. I would imagine that the TWU, like nearly all "national" unions, has the ability to accept/reject an agreement without a vote. I have no idea about the APFA or APA.

Jim