Joint statement from TWU APA APFA

iluvaa

Veteran
Mar 22, 2007
Statement

From TWU, APA, APFA
We appreciate the concern for the well-being of American Airlines and its employees that many have made public today.

As the elected leaders of the three major work groups at our company, we share their concerns. That is why we are working diligently to ensure that American Airlines can grow, flourish and compete.

We are also focused on securing the livelihoods and retirement plans of our members who have sacrificed a great deal for the company over the past decade. In order to accomplish these goals, we must exercise due diligence and examine every possibility.

In February, we were told by management that in order for American Airlines to reorganize successfully 14,000 employees would need to be terminated. Needless to say, we found that very troubling. Since those terms were introduced we have worked tirelessly to mitigate or avoid that scenario entirely. We are more than willing to brief stakeholders, including Senator Hutchison and Governor Fallin, on the progress we have made on that front.

In closing, we respectfully request that all stakeholders of American Airlines—including lawmakers and everyone else with a vested interest in the outcome of the restructuring—withhold judgment about any industry consolidation that could involve our airline until all of the facts become known.

Captain Dave Bates,
President, Allied Pilots Association (APA)

Laura Glading,
President, Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA)

James C. Little
International President, Transport Workers Union of America (TWU)

can anyone shed some light on what this means

dosn't really make sense to me

I attended a company? wide conference call yesterday and nothing was mentioned concerning mergers. The call touched on widebody aircraft and the customer, especially (Josh) the first class aluminum, platinum, gold with AA decoder ring member. Taking care of the premium customer.

That, plus "Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, please shut the hell up." Along with all the other talking heads and politicians.

It is a response to the Oklahoma Governor and a US Senator from Texas who released comments that the process should let American get what they want in order to succeed. They have a rundown on the Dallas News aviation blog.

Ok from what I've read now it says the unions might want to merge with another carrier now not later
hell it cant be worse then it is now I'm for anything that changes current labor hating management

it means "usair people, shut the **** up!"
That is not what it means at all . From what I read it means to all politicians to shut the f up . And that AAunions will explore any possibility to protect jobs at AA even if it means a merger . Gt over your AArogant self <_<

"In closing, we respectfully request that all stakeholders of American Airlines—including lawmakers and everyone else with a vested interest in the outcome of the restructuring withhold judgment about any industry consolidation that could involve our airline until all of the facts become known.

I'm not getting the "STFU" US Airways out of this statement at all. If they are asking above mentioned to withhold judgement, that means there are some discussions going on behind closed doors. It seems to send the message not to pass judgement on any/all options that are available to the employees without having the full details of what offers they may have been presented with. IE, the good senator shooting off her mouth about anything involving a merger without having any solid details. She is ASSUMING that HER state would lose jobs, whereas they may retain most of them. There is no mention of any airline in particular in their statement, nor do I see Doug Parkers name mentioned. By asking people not to judge consolidation, it means be open minded about any possibilities that they may have.

Ok from what I've read now it says the unions might want to merge with another carrier now not later
hell it cant be worse then it is now I'm for anything that changes current labor hating management

BINGO, We have a Winner....

This is nothing more than an attempt by AA labor to try to use the possibility of supporting a US merger as leverage against the company.
Terry Maxon of the Dallas Morning News has done a great job of covering the AA BK and he mentioned this very possibility in his April 11 in item 3.
3. One of the limited bits of leverage that American's union can use in this bankruptcy case - and they don't seem to have much leverage under the bankruptcy code - is to threaten American management with supporting a US Airways merger.
It still doesn't change the fact that AMR has the right to exclusivity on a POR for 6 more months and the 1113 process is well underway and will be completed well before the exclusivity period ends - but you can't blame AA labor for trying to fight.

I still believe that US is a secondary thought at this time. The OneWorld partners seem to be the focus at this time