Awa Pilots Throw 1st Merger Molotav Cocktail

Umm, how is this considered "bad"

It is what I would have expected them to say and do.

The AWA MEC will negotiate to secure the best deal for their pilots and making sure everyone knows they do not want DOH is just the first step.

People need to chill and stop trying to make things so dramatic :rolleyes:

EyeInTheSky said:
You think? Pilots contributed over a billion dollars and YOU'RE insulted? Puhleeese.
[post="271198"][/post]​
Of course the pilots were the only ones that made sacrifices. Savy

savyinvestor said:
Of course the pilots were the only ones that made sacrifices. Savy
[post="271258"][/post]​

That's not where I was going. I just find it incredibly retarded that everyone has to "go there." Everyone did their share.

livingontheedge said:
Yes, Boeing Boy, those are the comments I am referring to. Thank you for posting it.

EyeintheSky,

I have great respect for your posts and have always agreed with you......until now.

Every single employee made sacrifices....especially those whose jobs are being outsourced.

I recognize the contribution of each and every employee, I would never dare to be so pompous and elitest to say "Usairways enjoys this opportunity today because of the sacrifices of our pilots." If all it took was the sacrifice of the pilots, then can I have my 24% pay cut back? And my vacation time? And 50% of my sick time? And my 401k match? And all the jobs around the system that are being outsourced?

EVERYONE took it on the chin!
[post="271206"][/post]​

Try a 72.5% paycut (loss of pension, Captain downgrade, wage cut, loss of vacation, etc, etc, etc) Forgive me for being pissy, but pilots have earned the right. And, FWIW, I don't think Pollack should have said that remark. Now, let's put this behind us and move on. :huh:

BoeingBoy said:
You must mean this - I've taken the liberty of highlighting the lines you're probably referring to:

US Airways Group, Inc. and America West Holdings Corporation have announced their intention to enter into a merger that would create both the nation’s sixth-largest airline and the largest low-cost carrier network.

The US Airways Master Executive Council (MEC), the pilots’ governing body, will be analyzing the terms of this proposed transaction at the earliest opportunity.

US Airways management believes that this proposed merger will enable US Airways to emerge from bankruptcy and then create a partnership that will be viable and competitive. I want management, our investors, and our flying public to know that the US Airways pilots are largely responsible for the progress that US Airways has made in its restructuring. US Airways enjoys this opportunity today because of the tremendous sacrifices made by our pilots. Our MEC and our pilots have been called upon again and again to make the most difficult decisions in this volatile and still-transforming industry. Our pilots have provided the Company with $7 billion in cost savings through four restructurings -- an investment far greater than any other group. We expect that our sacrifices will be respected as we welcome the opportunity to become a partner in the creation of this country’s premier low-cost airline.

We also look forward to working with the pilots of America West as we begin the process of combining pilot groups through the seniority integration procedures outlined in our ALPA Administrative Manual.

ALPA is the world’s oldest and largest pilot union, representing 64,000 pilots at 41 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at http://www.alpa.org/ and the US Airways pilots Web site at http://www.usairwayspilots.org/.
[post="271199"][/post]​

Yup, it figures. It all about the pilots. Hell, no one else gave any sacrifices...just the pilots. Heck whats 65% of the f/as jobs anyway, and $250 million in 3concessions cost savings per year going forward...Heck just peanuts, right Pollock. :rolleyes:

EyeInTheSky said:
Try a 72.5% paycut (loss of pension, Captain downgrade, wage cut, loss of vacation, etc, etc, etc)  Forgive me for being pissy, but pilots have earned the right.  And, FWIW, I don't think Pollack should have said that remark.  Now, let's put this behind us and move on.    :huh:
[post="271266"][/post]​
Wait a minute. A 72.5% paycut? So there are U pilots out there who were making (as an example) $200K and are now down to somewhere in the $50Ks?

I'm having a hard time believing that one. Or you're leaving some relevant details and information out -- even considering stuff like the pensions and the other things you mentioned (because don't they have some sort of replacement pension plan now that covers up at least some of the differences?).

Strange how employee union seniority (the backbone of job placements and job protection in a union environment) only becomes a potential wildcat strike issue when you actually have to enforce the idea of using employee union seniority.

PineyBob said:
C'mon,

I sincerely hope that this is NOT the beginning of the type of infighting that helps make airline mergers such a crap shoot. Arguing over who sacrificed more is a waste of time.

It's like arguing that because you got your arm cut off at the shoulder instead of right above the elbow you somehow sacrificed more. WTF is the difference you lost the usable portion of your arm?

Try to remember that you have been presented a great opportunity to stay employed in an industry most of you love to work in. This is GOOD NEWS, try not to urinate all over it day one.
[post="271393"][/post]​
Bob,
You are correct. But three words would have made all the difference in that ALPA statement: and all employees.
Hopefully just an oversight.

Bear96 said:
Wait a minute.  A 72.5% paycut?  So there are U pilots out there who were making (as an example) $200K and are now down to somewhere in the $50Ks?

I'm having a hard time believing that one.  Or you're leaving some relevant details and information out -- even considering stuff like the pensions and the other things you mentioned (because don't they have some sort of replacement pension plan now that covers up at least some of the differences?).
[post="271387"][/post]​

Yes, it is that much when you factor in the total compensation package. You forget the PBGC has a cap on pension payments. As it stands today, I'll only receive 20% of what I was supposed to get in the pension plan. The 10% defined contribution we get today falls way short. Hey, we've all taken cuts, and everyone has sacrificed. But, yeah, some people you work with have really taken a 72.5% or more paycut. And, I'm one of the lucky ones. The worst sacrifices were those that lost their jobs completely.

Eye,

With all due respect, in terms of total impact, I'll see the pilot concessions (and in dollars terms, it was the biggest) and raise it with the end of many senior fleet careers. All gave some; some gave all.

For the sake, and ONLY for the sake of the many fine agents, mechs, f/a's and pilots it has been my privilege meet, I hope HPUS makes a go of it.

If not for them, and for it to be about the national plan to eviscerate the working class, and the leading role CCY is playing in it, I'd root for HPUS to auger in.

If not for the fine folk, if it were about the MANY pilots and mechs who thought agents were overpaid and riding on their coat-tails (and you know who they are; many post on this board), I'd gladly cheer on a Chap 7.

Pollack gave voice the the ruling "it's-all-about-me" ALPA sentiment. There are many exceptions to that, but not near enough.

You'll understand it does not sit well.

diogenes said:
Pollack gave voice the the ruling "it's-all-about-me" ALPA sentiment. There are many exceptions to that, but not near enough.

[post="271437"][/post]​
And everybody but the pilot group said......"AMEN!"

diogenes said:
Eye,

With all due respect, in terms of total impact, I'll see the pilot concessions (and in dollars terms, it was the biggest) and raise it with the end of many senior fleet careers. All gave some; some gave all.

For the sake, and ONLY for the sake of the many fine agents, mechs, f/a's and pilots it has been my privilege meet, I hope HPUS makes a go of it.

If not for them, and for it to be about the national plan to eviscerate the working class, and the leading role CCY is playing in it, I'd root for HPUS to auger in.

If not for the fine folk, if it were about the MANY pilots and mechs who thought agents were overpaid and riding on their coat-tails (and you know who they are; many post on this board), I'd gladly cheer on a Chap 7.

[post="271437"][/post]​

Diogenes, I totally agree with you. Best of luck to all.

Staple 'em. The alternative for them is unemployment, so what is the argument for the chippy crew of the east.

Never understood all the union gymnastics over seniority integration.

Who bought who?

Issue settled.

Back