What should the ICAO call sign be?

• "Cactus"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "US Air"

• A new call sign.

• Total voters
The FAA has approved US Airways to operate a single certificate with two separate call signs. The target date for the certificate is September 25, and management is planning to keep the “Cactusâ€￾ call sign on the West and “US Airwaysâ€￾ call sign on the East.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The FAA has approved US Airways to operate a single certificate with two separate call signs. The target date for the certificate is September 25, and management is planning to keep the “Cactusâ€￾ call sign on the West and “US Airwaysâ€￾ call sign on the East.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

With a single operating certificate, I wonder if the FAA ATC air traffic computers will still know enough to keep the HP and US tags on the various flights. If all the flight tags go to "US" on September 25, keeping separate call signs will be a nightmare for the controllers, and I bet that won't last beyond a day if that is the case. How in the world will a controller with a dozen US tagged flights on the scope know that US123 is "Cactus" and US2345 is "USAir?"

I also find it particularly intriguing that the FAA is playing along with this "separate" game that is being played now almost entirely at the behest of ALPA shenanigans.

With a single operating certificate, I wonder if the FAA ATC air traffic computers will still know enough to keep the HP and US tags on the various flights.
ATC already handles multiple RJs with identical paint jobs and different call signs. Though not ideal, they can handle this. And apparently it's not unprecedented for a single carrier to split callsigns. It's only a temporary measure.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Its amazing to me that the company says in their employee meetings how much they want to tear down barriers between employee groups and work together. But in this decision they drive a bigger wedge between the two groups further dividing us. Such hypocrisy ...I've had enough of this BS

wopr21

With a single operating certificate, I wonder if the FAA ATC air traffic computers will still know enough to keep the HP and US tags on the various flights. If all the flight tags go to "US" on September 25, keeping separate call signs will be a nightmare for the controllers, and I bet that won't last beyond a day if that is the case. How in the world will a controller with a dozen US tagged flights on the scope know that US123 is "Cactus" and US2345 is "USAir?"

I also find it particularly intriguing that the FAA is playing along with this "separate" game that is being played now almost entirely at the behest of ALPA shenanigans.
The FAA computers don't know who's on what certificate; the tag that shows up on the scope will depend on what the user files. It just needs to be made sure that the ancient, 1970's era, DECS program used by dispatchers will properly file America West flights as AWE and not USA.

But, once we are one certificate, I'm sure they will go to one call sign and identifier. I haven't heard anythign official about keeping separate call signs.

ATC already handles multiple RJs with identical paint jobs and different call signs. Though not ideal, they can handle this. And apparently it's not unprecedented for a single carrier to split callsigns. It's only a temporary measure.

I agree that tower personnel have this problem, but radar controllers can't see the paint scheme.

On their display, each flight is a blip with a tag attached. Every airplane could be painted solid white for all they know. But the tag has the two-letter name of the airline in front of the flight number. All those regionals with identical paint show up as different companies on their display screen since each company has its own two-letter identifier.

That's where the problem will be if on Sept 25 the HP identifier goes away, but only SOME of the US identified blips get called "Cactus."

I agree that tower personnel have this problem, but radar controllers can't see the paint scheme.

On their display, each flight is a blip with a tag attached. Every airplane could be painted solid white for all they know. But the tag has the two-letter name of the airline in front of the flight number. All those regionals with identical paint show up as different companies on their display screen since each company has its own two-letter identifier.

That's where the problem will be if on Sept 25 the HP identifier goes away, but only SOME of the US identified blips get called "Cactus."
When it comes to ATC, airlines have 3-letter and not 2-letter identifiers. And it doesn't matter if the airline goes to two call signs after we are on one certificate. The identifier that shows up on the scope is based on what the airline files in their flight plan. So . .the antiquated dispatching system currently used by the east (and about to be used by the west), will have to file America West flight plans with the AWE identifier.

that would be feeding right into ALPA's bs and again all about the pilots to keep callsigns seperate... WHO CARES what the call sign is seriously doesn't effect they issues at hand.... silly pilots

Keeping the CACTUS sign is silly in the grand scheme of things unless of couse You want to reaffirm where the Circus Clowns running "The Greatest Show" reside.....go ahead, be my guest. More appropriately, a callsign of Circus or Cluster truly defines THEIR MISSION. FLY US! (This callsign debate is as relevant to the operation as whether the F/A uniform has one stipe or two on the sleeve of a Jacket.) These clowns better WAKE UP and RUN The Airline before the DOT comes in and like Gordon Ramsey of "Hell's Kitchen" likes to scream "SHUT IT DOWN" is heard across the land.( And what would they think in China? :lol: )

Its amazing to me that the company says in their employee meetings how much they want to tear down barriers between employee groups and work together. But in this decision they drive a bigger wedge between the two groups further dividing us. Such hypocrisy ...I've had enough of this BS

wopr21

Excellent post. To me it doesn't matter what the call sign is. Just pay me on time.

Excellent post. To me it doesn't matter what the call sign is. Just pay me on time.

I agree ...callsigns are irrelevant. Give us the parity we deserve. I don't care if I have to say "We are the knights of Nieh".

wopr21

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Right up to the first runway incursion. Meet reality - paranoia's big brother.

This is not correct.

A good example would be Air Tran, call sign "Citrus". Their data block is TRS which doesn't resemble anything painted on the side of the jet.