Caremark

JetguyCLT

Advanced
Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
My partner and I both work for US Airways and the company's prescription coverage is Caremark. So my partner takes Adderall XR for ADD and since there is not a generic for it, the co pay is $50. Caremark told him that since this is a medication he would be taking every day that he would have to mail in the prescription. Ok, only problem is his doctor will only write a 1 month prescription, they have this whole get 3 months for the price of 2 thing. Plus Adderall XR's highest dose is 30mg and he takes 40mg, 2 20mg pills a day. So I sent him the last prescritpion for 60 pills, a one month supply. Caremark sends me a bill for $100. When I called them, they said it was because it was a 2 month supply. After they looked at the prescription and saw that it was 60 pills for twice a day, then the story changed to oh, well US Airways says the co pay on this is $100. Ok, well they why is it when I get it filled at Walgreens, its only $50?? Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that since Adderall is such a controlled substance, that I don't have to mail it in, I can go to the pharmacy every month. Again, not what they told me before. Anyhoo...I sent and email to someone in Tempe and got a call from Caremark this week apologizing for the mix up and that I would only need to pay the $50 co pay. YAY! My question is, are any of you other employee's having a problem with Caremark?? I know a few other people that have but just taking a poll here.
Thanks.

Jetguy

Like you said, there is no reason for you to use a mail-order prescription since you can only get a 30-day supply for a controlled drug. You won't be saving any money at all and you'll add time by mailing away instead of going to your local pharmacy. I've used CareMark for a while and they are okay usually. I've had a few problems with delay of shipment and limits on payment methods for orders over $250.00

My partner and I both work for US Airways and the company's prescription coverage is Caremark. So my partner takes Adderall XR for ADD and since there is not a generic for it, the co pay is $50. Caremark told him that since this is a medication he would be taking every day that he would have to mail in the prescription. Ok, only problem is his doctor will only write a 1 month prescription, they have this whole get 3 months for the price of 2 thing. Plus Adderall XR's highest dose is 30mg and he takes 40mg, 2 20mg pills a day. So I sent him the last prescritpion for 60 pills, a one month supply. Caremark sends me a bill for $100. When I called them, they said it was because it was a 2 month supply. After they looked at the prescription and saw that it was 60 pills for twice a day, then the story changed to oh, well US Airways says the co pay on this is $100. Ok, well they why is it when I get it filled at Walgreens, its only $50?? Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that since Adderall is such a controlled substance, that I don't have to mail it in, I can go to the pharmacy every month. Again, not what they told me before. Anyhoo...I sent and email to someone in Tempe and got a call from Caremark this week apologizing for the mix up and that I would only need to pay the $50 co pay. YAY! My question is, are any of you other employee's having a problem with Caremark?? I know a few other people that have but just taking a poll here.
Thanks.

Jetguy

I had the same issue with caremark. They suck so bad,

Thanks.

Jetguy

You really don't get a better deal with caremark unless you get a 2 month or 3 month supply. We found that Walgreens is one of the most expensive pharmacies.

Recently, we (the family) have been filling our generic perscriptions at walmart. I paid $7.35 total for a 2 month supply of a generic that cost me $12.99 per month at Walgreen and would have been the same with mail order, since it was for 2 months and not 3.

I would check pricing at other pharmacies since you can't do it by mail order.

You really don't get a better deal with caremark unless you get a 2 month or 3 month supply. We found that Walgreens is one of the most expensive pharmacies.

Recently, we (the family) have been filling our generic perscriptions at walmart. I paid $7.35 total for a 2 month supply of a generic that cost me $12.99 per month at Walgreen and would have been the same with mail order, since it was for 2 months and not 3.

I would check pricing at other pharmacies since you can't do it by mail order.

I can't do WalMart. I am not a big fan of theirs. I will have to check around though. Thanks for the info though.

Caremark has been a problem since day one - I have filed and won several grievances reguarding them - not a wonder they hold the record for the largest fine from the FDA. They are famous for thier formulary being based on which drug companies give the largest kickbacks.

I had a Dr that wrote out a script incorrectly- per Caremark and I recd one bottle of Nasonex for 60.00 -- Usually I get 3 bottles. I also had 2 other scripts filled at the same time - same issue - allergy stuff. So my bill was 180.00 for maintence meds ...and I only recd a 30 day supply of each - although I had refills for the next 11 months on each - go figure. I had to call Caremark numerous times -- and also the Dr office -- Caremark eventually agreed to have the DR "bulkup" the scripts -- taking the quanity up to the 90 day supply. I had to go thru the resolution desk and then eventually spoke to the pharmacist.

This was not an easy thing to get corrected....hours on the phone....Caremark kept stating they were sending a fax to the Dr office, the fax was never recd. etc -- After all the drama I should go back to the Dr for some type of anti anxiety meds.

I can't do WalMart. I am not a big fan of theirs. I will have to check around though. Thanks for the info though.

I wouldn't go in a filthy WalMart or Sam's Club if they were giving away their inventory. I don't think I'd go in if they were paying me to take their stuff.

Mr. Sam is rolling over in his grave with what his greedy children have done to that company and the retailing business in general.

I have been using Caremark for about two years now and their service has always been accurate and prompt. Even when I spoke with a live person, they were always very friendly and professional.

You may be able to work with local CVS for your Caremark orders, starting 01/09 our contract w/ Caremark will allow us to do all our refills even three month ones at a local CVS.

You may be able to work with local CVS for your Caremark orders, starting 01/09 our contract w/ Caremark will allow us to do all our refills even three month ones at a local CVS.

Cool....I didn't know that.

We've been using caremark for a while and never had a problem..they've been great...

Like you said, there is no reason for you to use a mail-order prescription since you can only get a 30-day supply for a controlled drug. You won't be saving any money at all and you'll add time by mailing away instead of going to your local pharmacy. I've used CareMark for a while and they are okay usually. I've had a few problems with delay of shipment and limits on payment methods for orders over $250.00

Recently Caremark shot me an email stating they noticed I filled a prescription at my local pharmacy.
The email reminded me how easy it is to call and have my prescriptions filled by them.
Apparently if you sign up online with Caremark and you fill elsewhere, they are notified, then they notify you that they were notified.

That's a little unnerving.

Back