Chairside Luxury Items sales comming soon....

Travelpro72

Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
I didn't know what to expect at first. They put a flyer on each seat row and the announcement was made after the movie. They averaged around $400.00 to $500.00 in sales per flight. The items consisted of the top selling Duty Free items. There were 16-20 items total. I was told that on the 757 at least, the C and D will do the selling. The cart will be located in f/c. The timeline is around 4-5 months before it is introduced. It is going to be done on all transcon flights. I was also told that the small water bottles in f/c will be going away. The company is going to purchase only the large ones to save money. Oh yeah, the beverage cart on the 757 is probably gonna go to a drawer cart like the airbus. One in f/c and one in coach. I bombarded the dining and cabin services with question after question. All I heard was, "Do any of you have any questions". LOL.... and they started one after the other.

Oh yeah, the beverage cart on the 757 is probably gonna go to a drawer cart like the airbus. One in f/c and one in coach.
There is a God! I hate that nasty 757 cart. Let's get rid of the B737-400 one also!

On my last trip the thing was in such bad shape I took the liquor cart and made that the beverage cart it worked great! I was just working on a letter for Ask Inflight about just that topic. This way the soda storage above can all be atlas drawers that are already set up the way they should be in the cart. After the service you just take your used stock drawer and replace it in the cart with the new drawer you take from above

I was also told that the small water bottles in f/c will be going away. The company is going to purchase only the large ones to save money.
Well that'd be stupid. Seems it was done once before. I don't know about US, but I buy similar bottles for about 15 cents. If I can't have a bottle of water, I'd just ask for a can of soda, or a cocktail, which I'm sure would be more expensive.

so all the carts will be the carts on the airbus and embraer? i was on a 737 norev the other say and noticed one of the airbus carts.... thought i remembered you couldnt have those on the 737? good idea though

so we will do duty free on domestic now too? do the passengers ask for it or do we get in thier face and try to get them to buy it? if its domestic its not duty free its full price right? if i want something why would i buy it on an airplane including th tax? sounds weird

I was also told that the small water bottles in f/c will be going away.

Well they better not get miffed when i ask for the big bottle of water to drink. That is so stupid. What good is a small cup of water going to do?

HHMMMM let's see. First they have the F/A's hawk the BOA credit card. Now they are going to sell "luxury items" too.

Seems to me that the "professional" career of being a F/A is going the way of becoming a SALES PERSON or TELEMARKETER.

I can just see the F/A's having to wear an old fashion change belt around their waist. ;)

If the airline wants to make more $$$$, then open a kiosk in the airports to sell those items. LCC really is low class IMO.

I'm curious about this Luxury Items sales.
This is the first I've heard of it.
More money envelopes to balance and keep track of sounds like a pain. But it would help pass the time on really long flights, and is another service to offer that won't cost any money.

Get over the miniwaters. HP was one of the first airline to offer them, and it worked great, everyone (pax and crew) loved them.
But, its cheaper to stock the big bottles, so they went back to those.
I've never seen anyone pitch a hissy-fit about it. Water is water. If you drink all the water in your cup, it can be refilled. They also sell bottled water in the airport if you really prefer to drink right out of a bottle as opposed to a cup or glass.
And, your own personal water bottle can be refilled from the jumbo ones. Just ask.
The point is to make money, keep the unnecessary costs down.

I still hear people talking about how it 'used to be'.
The Old USAirways is dead. This USAirways is a completely different company. Think of it as a really big America West. Almost everything will be changing.
I realize many of you don't like the idea of flying on a simple carrier like America West, but thats the way it is.
We will be somewhere in between Southwest and United.
We will not be the fanciest carrier out there, and we won't be spending money on stuff like mini water bottles and IFEs just cuz 'wouldn't that be nice!'.
That stuff won't get you from point A to point B any faster or safer.

OK this may come across as harsh but can't resist this one!Good grief....what a stupid idea! Not only do they want the F/A's to push the BofA credit cards, Sky Mall catalog, selling "NASTY" Buy on Board, and now they want to sell "Luxury Items" chairside....gimme a break! Who was smoking crack when they came up with this one! Most of these people on board look like deer caught in headlights when you mention half this stuff already! They can't even pay $5 for a headset and you expect them to buy more expensive products on board....yeah, great idea! :lol: Why don't you just call F/A's "Sales Associates" now!

As for the mini friggin bottles of water....take them off, they cause more trouble than they are worth! Keep the big one's to use on the Beverage cart ONLY! If you want your own "personal" bottle of water, buy it in the Airport! Good grief it's about a $1.50....if you leave it up to USAirways we'll probably start selling those for $5 too! Just to add a story to the bottled water issue....working in Coach the other day on the beverage cart....we had this "muscle head idiot" pitch a fit because we couldn't give him a "big" bottle of water! He said the F/A's on his last flight gave hime a couple of them....we said we could give him a couple of glasses or just keep refilling his.....he threw a "hissy fit" and threw the napkins and the pretzels back and said "go away leave me alone"! In time the water will be just like the magazine issues on board....my reply is "they do sell them in the Terminal"! :p

As for the luxury sales items...it was a little hard on the return flight to PHL due to a four hour flight. When you do the BOB and beverage service followed by the coffee service it leaves little time to do the sales. The sales are to be done AFTER the movie. Well we didn't have that much time so did it during the end of the movie. Though some find it rediculous they averaged $400.00 to $500.00 in sales per flight. These tests were done LEAVING LAS too. And we all think that folks leave Vegas broke. LOL. Everyone usually gets juniored into being "D" on the 757, well when ya start racking in commission I see that changing a bit. As for dealing with money or envelopes, it's done exactly the same way as duty free caribbean. It's a paper format unlike the HHC (handheld comp unit) on transatlantic. The prices are lower for instance the Crislu bracelet with matching earings was sold for $98.00. The prices were actually VERY reasonable. Especially with the crew discount of 20% off. Some will not mind it and to some it will be the end of the world. True though that this is getting to be just a bit much. As for the water issue... I like the small bottles but do see the reasoning behind it. Just look how much a bottle of natures resource is sold for. It's insane. They threw a price out there of $1.29 instead of $1.49. I guess that may be a bottle or case in bulk...no idea there. At least in f/c you can get your water served to you in a glass. LOL

Well, if this is a trial period with these "luxury sales items"....I'd love to be prooved wrong! I'm all for more to do on long haul flights....keep me busy, but within reason. I guess we'll see how this all turns out. ;) I really don't mind selling duty free on TransAtlantic flights and yes that quarterly commission check is really nice! :up:

Being on the "west" side, this is the first that I have heard of this program. It may sound odd at first to some, but if it brings in additional revenue to the company, then its definately something to look forward to!

One question though, what sorts of items are we talking about here? Are they all "luxury" items and only high end products, or are more simple items such as bottles of Absolut or cartons of cigarettes included as well?

This wouldn't be the first time items were sold within the USA, TWA started the Domestic "Ambassador Boutique" program in the late 1980s, on all widebody trans-cons. Can't really remember why it ended though a few years later. The items were similar to those on the International Duty Free, but not the same. I don't think there was any perfume or alcohol offered either.

Nice to see the company thinking outside the box!

Some of the items that are going to be sold are makeup, perfume/cologne, jewelry such as bracelets and watches for men and women. I dont think cigs and alcohol will be sold due to duty free issues. Not sure what that means. Also selling is the new A320 model in new colors, purses. I suggested they sell neck pillows or those beany pillows and blankets for around $5.00. The stuff is actually nice and not that expensive. I think it will sell well and better than the Buy in the sky program through skymall because its in the passengers face and they can see and touch it. I didnt have a problem with it but I'm sure some will. I think the word "Luxury" is misleading. Some dont have time to shop and are on the go. This could give some the chance to buy something for whomever they are meeting etc... Also for the husband or wife sitting next to them. The sales were high so it will be here. It was said that it will be around 4 to 5 months to stock the carts and get the program implemented. Again the commission is the same as duty free which is 3%. It really adds up if you do it enough.

Some of the items that are going to be sold are makeup, perfume/cologne, jewelry such as bracelets and watches for men and women. I dont think cigs and alcohol will be sold due to duty free issues. Not sure what that means. Also selling is the new A320 model in new colors, purses. I suggested they sell neck pillows or those beany pillows and blankets for around $5.00. The stuff is actually nice and not that expensive. I think it will sell well and better than the Buy in the sky program through skymall because its in the passengers face and they can see and touch it. I didnt have a problem with it but I'm sure some will. I think the word "Luxury" is misleading. Some dont have time to shop and are on the go. This could give some the chance to buy something for whomever they are meeting etc... Also for the husband or wife sitting next to them. The sales were high so it will be here. It was said that it will be around 4 to 5 months to stock the carts and get the program implemented. Again the commission is the same as duty free which is 3%. It really adds up if you do it enough.

Sounds pretty cool, guess it all depends on how its presented thou. Good for FA's that want to make a couple of extra$$. Those that like to read the flight manuals (people, Us, etc) won't like it. :p

As for the mini friggin bottles of water....take them off, they cause more trouble than they are worth! Keep the big one's to use on the Beverage cart ONLY! If you want your own "personal" bottle of water, buy it in the Airport! we had this "muscle head idiot" pitch a fit because we couldn't give him a "big" bottle of water! He said the F/A's on his last flight gave hime a couple of them.

Sky high states: Go smaller! The current size in First Class are the ONE PINT (09 FL OZ.) size waters. Go to a 1/2 PINT. Reduces waste and RETAINS A PRODUCT that is most requested and VALUED in FIRST CLASS.
Cant tell you how many barely sipped, half FULL bottles of water are left in the first class seat pockets
(and bother way.....WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did you leave it there?...when someone with a trash bag walked by and someone announced that, we would appreciate your help in tidying the aircraft.....yet, YOU swear that you're taking it with you)

Coach class....the BIGGER, THE BETTER. The Y class passengers have no problem asking or reaching for them. There's alot of F/A's who hand those away. Go bigger then 1 Liter!!!