CLT-FCO

Davide

Oct 24, 2006
Since Rome is getting the highest US's load factor to Europe, what do you think about a seasonal service CLT-FCO with 762 in addition to PHL-FCO?

Why not a second PHL-FCO since that's a proven market instead of CLT?

Because PHL is a crap hole as far as congestion. CLT does not have the delays like PHL. I know when I am going to LGW and FRA I always go thru CLT verses PHL. Hell even PIT would be a great feeder but we know that isn't going to happen.

CLT at one time had more international flights to the EU but I don't know what cities. I think it just had the same cities it has now but more freq.

I am sure someone can chime in and say what.

CLT would definately get the feed for sure if they had the extra aircraft.

It would also be an outstanding alternate in case a flight was canceled due to a mechanical or what ever. People from SFO and LAX could connect in CLT instead of going thru PHL.

Why not just increase JFK. An airport that doesn't require much of any hub traffic due to tremendous local population. Just think of where we could go if we had the planes.

Why not just increase JFK. An airport that doesn't require much of any hub traffic due to tremendous local population. Just think of where we could go if we had the planes.
You won't be going nowhere at JFK if you don't get the SHARES to work Internationally.

CLT at one time had more international flights to the EU but I don't know what cities. I think it just had the same cities it has now but more freq.

Not sure what you mean but CLT has had LGW and FRA(both 1X daily) for years. CDG was tried but failed. To my recollection those were the only flights ever offered from CLT.

BA had one daily flight to LGW and LH had FRA at one time and now serves MUC.

...CLT does not have the delays like PHL....
CLT would definately get the feed for sure if they had the extra aircraft.

It would also be an outstanding alternate in case a flight was canceled due to a mechanical or what ever. People from SFO and LAX could connect in CLT instead of going thru PHL.
The average daily (in each direction) count for PHL-FCO is approx. 250 (2006) passengers originating/arriving (Not connecting) - in season. That's a very acceptable load for the route, with little reliance on connecting resources - and lower revenue/profit. It's unlikely CLT could provide anywhere near that O&D for an FCO flight. CLT's best Euro growth is probably CDG, principally because US faces strong competition with Air France on it's PHL-CDG route and would likely have difficulty justifying added frequency - although they used to have a 2nd flight until a few years ago. If US does any expansion of FCO, it would be an added seasonal PHL-FCO flight when additional aircraft become available.

Traditionally, FCO flights lower yielding (relatively to other TA routes) given the high amount of tourist traffic to Rome. However, in PHLs instance where there is a large Italian community, that tends to help yields, as well as make it a more successful route year-round. CLT would not have this luxury, as it would rely heavily on connecting traffic. I believe this was one of the problems with the CLT-CDG flight -- they had no problems filling the back but J class always had plenty of open seats. I think a second seasonal flight from PHL might do well though.

Also, keep in mind that several US carriers have increased services to Italy over the past year (UA IAD-FCO; DL JFK-PSA & addtl ATL/JFK-FCO).

Kirby has said that they were looking at adding one more TA route from CLT down the road, I assumed it'd be CDG, but I could be wrong. I know Jerry Orr, CLT's airport director, has mentioned that he'd like to see service to CDG (again) as well as MAD and FCO.

BTW, zethya, do you happen to have a link to a site where you can get avg. passenger counts for international routes like this? Thanks in advance if you do.

Latest posts

Back