Comair Crash

an Air Wisconsin pilot told me yesterday that a loaded CRJ such as that would have needed 5000 feet min for takeoff safely and colgan air pilots told me that even the SAAB 340 cant takeoff on 3500 runways

LEX 18 officials shocked by Emmy Awards’ plane-crash spoof intro
By Jamie Gumbrecht
HERALD-LEADER CULTURE WRITER

LEX 18 News ended an evening recap of yesterday’s coverage of the Comair Flight 5191 crash for the live broadcast of the prime-time Emmy Awards. The annual TV awards show opened with shots of host Conan O’Brien bouncing inside a plane before it crashed on an island in a spoof of ABC’s hit show Lost.

WLEX’s president and general manager, Tim Gilbert, who was home watching the telecast with his family, was “stunned†by the intro; if station managers had known about the intro before the broadcast, Lexington viewers wouldn’t have seen it, he said.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/15376874.htm

I'm "shocked but not surprised" that the crash skit wasn't pulled from the Emmy award show.

LEX 18 officials shocked by Emmy Awards’ plane-crash spoof
Emmys' plane-crash spoof raises hackles around the country
By Jamie Gumbrecht
HERALD-LEADER CULTURE WRITER

Debate about the prime-time Emmy Awards’ opening skit flew across CNN, Fox News, the Drudge Report, talk radio and other national outlets today, questioning whether NBC should have broadcast a spoof showing host Conan O’Brien bouncing inside an airplane before it crashed.

Tim Gilbert, president and general manager of Lexington’s NBC affiliate, WLEX, said yesterday that if he’d known about the filmed parody before that night’s live broadcast, Central Kentucky audiences wouldn’t have seen it. Most of the 35 million people who watched the Emmys saw a red-carpet special before the awards show, but the local audience had just watched a half-hour news recap about Comair Flight 5191’s crash, which killed 49 people.

“We wish somebody had thought this through,†Gilbert said last night. “It’s somewhere between ignorance and incompetence.â€
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/...sh/15382693.htm

Wouldn't a simple look at their heading indicator before their TO roll, indicate they were on the wrong runway? It would have indicated 264deg. instead of the correct 225deg. I would think that with 2 possible runways, one with disasterious consequences if used, a verification of heading would be in order before TO.

Wouldn't a simple look at their heading indicator before their TO roll, indicate they were on the wrong runway? It would have indicated 264deg. instead of the correct 225deg. I would think that with 2 possible runways, one with disasterious consequences if used, a verification of heading would be in order before TO.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Hindsight is saying, crap we screwed that up really bad. Foresight is saying, we learned from that mistake.

Foresight is saying 'we're making these changes to eliminate the following possible dangers'...

Hindsight, aka, tombstone mentality, is "we've learned this danger exists and are making the following changes to eliminate or reduce the danger...'.

People either forget or don't realize that nearly all the safety built into aviation was created out hindsight

Foresight usually gets knocked down because it's "too expensive". Otherwise,for example, passengers would have three or five point seatbelts.

I know it's early to ask, but if anyone has an address or contact info where donations can be sent for the surviving FO and the Captains family, could you please post it.

The Pilots at Piedmont Airline wish to send more than just our sympathy and prayers. I'm certain there are other individuals and groups that feel the same way.

how is the first officer doing today? last i heard yesterday was that he was still in critical condition. My prayers and deepest sympathies go out to him and to all the victims and their loved ones and friends

how is the first officer doing today? last i heard yesterday was that he was still in critical condition. My prayers and deepest sympathies go out to him and to all the victims and their loved ones and friends
Local news in CVG says he is in a coma. :(

Amazingly poor taste at the Emmies Awards.

My better half, who was watching the Emmy Awards, just told me that the show started with a skit that features host Conan O'Brian riding on airplane that crashes!!.

Why did no one think to pull the skit?

With all due respect, I saw the opening montage posted on another site recently. The crash depicted (implied, actually) is in no way similar to what happened with Comair. It also is a parody of the TV series "Lost" and very appropriate to the Emmy Awards.

I truly feel for all those who have lost loved ones in this accident, but to compare it to the Emmy skit is quite a stretch.

It's unfortunate timing, nothing more.

Most of the 35 million people who watched the Emmys saw a red-carpet special before the awards show, but the local audience had just watched a half-hour news recap about Comair Flight 5191’s crash, which killed 49 people.

“We wish somebody had thought this through,â€￾ Gilbert said last night. “It’s somewhere between ignorance and incompetence.â€￾

This was thought through...long before the Comair accident happened. The filming was likely done weeks in advance of the air date.

This is not ignorance or incompetence. As I stated before this is nothing more than unfortunate timing.

Latest posts