Crisis Team

Is all about perception and the American way and doing the right thing
Your view of call centers is not share by most Americans
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10287328/1/...ring-spree.html

"Our reservations team does a much better job than those the work has been outsourced to," said US Airways CEO Doug Parker, in an interview with TheStreet.com. "Despite our efforts to improve the outsourcing, it will never be as good as having our own employees do it."

I think that it's virtually impossible in a situation as chaotic as a plane going down (I refuse to say "crash" in this instance) for everything which has been rehearsed to go exactly according to plan.

Not only is this possible, but it's required by federal law, specifically the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996 and the Foreign Air Carrier Family Support Act of 1997, which were enacted in response to a disastrous response to USAir Flight 427...a disastrous response on the part of USAir, the federal government, local authorities, etc. It's no surprise that US Airways (pre-AWA, post US427) was a model program for the industry when you look at the timeline.

You can't be an airline in the United States without your complete, current plan on file with the DOT and you must have "Reliable" toll-free numbers available immediately for such purpose. The airlines are held accountable for their responses if things don't go right.

The standards we hold everyone on matters of family assistance are standards I don't think should be lowered.

Everyone in INT is trained and we were all OK with doing what we needed to do.
I know everyone in Int was up to speed and if the newbees didn't know what to do I know all of the experienced agents helped them. That's the way Int has always been. Good careing agents. :up:

Not only is this possible, but it's required by federal law, specifically the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996 and the Foreign Air Carrier Family Support Act of 1997, which were enacted in response to a disastrous response to USAir Flight 427...a disastrous response on the part of USAir, the federal government, local authorities, etc.

I Googled to try to find the answer myself, but had no luck. Do you have a source that specifically cites the handling of US427 as the (lone or partial) impetus for the ADFAA? There were some missteps in 427, particularly with unidentified human remains, IIRC, but there are missteps in every accident.

I was under the impression the main impetus for ADFAA was TW's handling of the TW800 aftermath, but the only "source" I have for that is my memory, which isn't always reliable!

Just curious. Thanks

Is all about perception and the American way and doing the right thing
Your view of call centers is not share by most Americans
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10287328/1/...ring-spree.html

"Our reservations team does a much better job than those the work has been outsourced to," said US Airways CEO Doug Parker, in an interview with TheStreet.com. "Despite our efforts to improve the outsourcing, it will never be as good as having our own employees do it."
Yea, he said that before the merge was final. He also said I woudln't loose my seniority or my pension--said they woudln't take both--and they did. He promised me they would get rid of outsoursing--that was how many years ago???

John John--With the merge and even before everything was final my pension check from USAirways was stoped because I was working for HP. Then, I was told I could not get my seniority back from usairways nor my pay grade there AND I could not grieve it. That's why I didn't come back when my job was given back to me--so to speak--after a very unappropriate grievence procedure.

I Googled to try to find the answer myself, but had no luck. Do you have a source that specifically cites the handling of US427 as the (lone or partial) impetus for the ADFAA? There were some missteps in 427, particularly with unidentified human remains, IIRC, but there are missteps in every accident.

I was under the impression the main impetus for ADFAA was TW's handling of the TW800 aftermath, but the only "source" I have for that is my memory, which isn't always reliable!

Just curious. Thanks

I was at the command center following TW800. We were not allowed to release the pax list per: the FBI. We received much negative publicity because of this but we did what we were told by the Gov. Mayor "Rudy" had friends on the flight and was furious that he received no special information.

CARE TEAMs are hard working volunteers and should be commended for their hard work. Never second guess unless you are privy to the inside scoop.

CARE TEAMs are hard working volunteers and should be commended for their hard work. Never second guess unless you are privy to the inside scoop.

Please don't misinterpret my question as criticism. Every accident is different, and I'm sure TW had their hands full. I'm not disputing that US427 had its share of mistakes, and it had its issues with which we had our hands full too. I'm just trying to get info on what was cited as the impetus for the regulation in question, regardless of which accident(s) or carrier(s).

I'm in the same boat as you ("CARE Team volunteer"). It's work that is simultaneously gratifying and horrifying.

Not only is this possible, but it's required by federal law, specifically the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996 and the Foreign Air Carrier Family Support Act of 1997, which were enacted in response to a disastrous response to USAir Flight 427...a disastrous response on the part of USAir, the federal government, local authorities, etc. It's no surprise that US Airways (pre-AWA, post US427) was a model program for the industry when you look at the timeline.

You can't be an airline in the United States without your complete, current plan on file with the DOT and you must have "Reliable" toll-free numbers available immediately for such purpose. The airlines are held accountable for their responses if things don't go right.

The standards we hold everyone on matters of family assistance are standards I don't think should be lowered.
CLICK

Thanks LD3. I didn't think US427 was mentioned in the background for this legislation. I thought remembered TW's responsiveness to 800 being a big part of it, but had forgotten about ValuJet.