Dec 14---march On Washington

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
APFA to join AFA for White House vigil

The Association of Flight Attendants has gotten everyone's attention with its plan for nationwide strikes if any single airline abrogates an AFA contract, as both United Airlines and US Airways propose to do.

Another union, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents attendants at American Airlines, notified its members over the weekend that anyone who is free to do so is asked to fly to Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, Dec. 14, to join other flight attendants for a solidarity march and candlelight vigil at Lafayette Park across from the White House.

"We will be standing together to show our support for both the United and US Airways flight attendants who are currently struggling to protect and preserve their contracts," said APFA President Tommie Hutto-Blake. "The United and US Airways flight attendants need our help!"

US Airways and United Airlines are both in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and a bankruptcy judge has the legal power to set aside union contracts.

The next legal step in the drama will come on Thursday of this week when US Airways will appear in bankruptcy court in Alexandria, Va., to ask the court to impose wage and benefit cuts to save it $1 billion a year. However, the judge is not expected to rule until January, while the judge in the United Airlines bankruptcy is not expected to rule until February.

The Association of Flight Attendants, which represents attendants at Hawaiian Airlines, Aloha Airlines and ATA Airlines, has indicated that it will deploy job actions across the nation without necessarily making any prior announcement.

Every airline employee represented by unions should make an effort to attend this rally in Washington. There is NO EXCUSE to let others fight for you. YOU must stand alongside your fellow Brothers & Sisters and fight the good fight.

Thank you F/As for leading the way!

1AA said:
From the words of the mighty TWU leadership,
" It's not our fight brother"
[post="204811"][/post]​
I hope this march helps. But in my opinion the only thing that will save the airlines is lower fuel prices and the ability to raise fares. With out that the Management at every airline have no choice to try and cut anything and everything to survive. It is the truth. It is wrong abd sucks but it is the truth.

operaations said:
I hope this march helps. But in my opinion the only thing that will save the airlines is lower fuel prices and the ability to raise fares. With out that the Management at every airline have no choice to try and cut anything and everything to survive. It is the truth. It is wrong abd sucks but it is the truth.
[post="204827"][/post]​

Anything and everything except their own pay and benifits that is!

Anything and everything except their own pay and benifits that is!

Compare management pay at AA to 99% of the companies its size. Its ain't that great. There is a lot of things you could say about AA management that would be a ligitimate complaint, pay isn't one of them.

Oneflyer said:
Compare management pay at AA to 99% of the companies its size. Its ain't that great. There is a lot of things you could say about AA management that would be a ligitimate complaint, pay isn't one of them.
[post="205025"][/post]​

Then why did my supervisor say he only took a 7% cut when I took a 28 1/2% cut?

Ken MacTiernan said:
[post="205334"][/post]​

For the same reason mentioned above -- management salaries were already lower than at other airlines as well as at companies we benchmark against in other industries.

Even after the cuts, we have many front line supervisors making less than the people they supervise, with some still earning less than what a newly hired assistant manager at Walmart makes.

1AA said:
From the words of the mighty TWU leadership,
" It's not our fight brother"
[post="204811"][/post]​

Not sure who you are quoting...but here is Mr. Little's correspondence

Attachments

• ALL_ATD_LOCALS___SOLIDARITY_MARCH_DC_12_2_04.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 169
Ken MacTiernan said:
[post="205334"][/post]​
Maybe you were extremley over paid and you over exagerated your pay cut. Or maybe not and he is viewed as more valuable

Back to the topic...
Let's see if I can guess the response of the average APFA member to the call from our President to join the march.

1. Can I get trip removed with pay for it?
2. Not on my day off, no way.
3. What's that got to do with me?
4. Hey, if UAL and U go under, that's good for me isn't it?

As a VERY junior flight attendant in DFW for almost 3 years, I attended almost every monthly union base meeting unless I was flying. DFW is the largest domestic base in the AA system. At most meetings, there would be the base chair, the base vice-chair, me and one friend who was junior to me in attendance.
The average AA flight attendant doesn't care what goes on in their own airline or union. What makes anyone think they will care about another airline's flight attendants.

jimntx said:
Back to the topic...
Let's see if I can guess the response of the average APFA member to the call from our President to join the march.

1. Can I get trip removed with pay for it?
2. Not on my day off, no way.
3. What's that got to do with me?
4. Hey, if UAL and U go under, that's good for me isn't it?

As a VERY junior flight attendant in DFW for almost 3 years, I attended almost every monthly union base meeting unless I was flying. DFW is the largest domestic base in the AA system. At most meetings, there would be the base chair, the base vice-chair, me and one friend who was junior to me in attendance.
The average AA flight attendant doesn't care what goes on in their own airline or union. What makes anyone think they will care about another airline's flight attendants.
[post="205884"][/post]​

I was waiting to see of someone had the brain cells and ballas to say that. I am happy to be prooved wrong. I never thought it would happen.

And just a FYI. No you cannot get removed with pay to attend.

What exactly would be the objective of this march, aside from raising this as an issue? A new economic model for the US? I fail to see the logic behind these marches/rallies.