Do You Think The Pilots Have To Give More?

Some news sources think U may need more money. The only group left with anything to give is the pil

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[Off topic, but concerning the bid sheet]

planejane said:
Thanks for the info.
My observation is do we need it. I hear that we are the only airline that has it and it causes U to employ more flight crews. Also after loosing 611 Mil do we need to keep a scheduling department for the "bid sheet" ? I do not want to see anyone else loose their job, but U needs to streamline everywhere.
[post="244791"][/post]​

I agree that streamline is necessary. Hopefully the company will get around to automating the bid sheet eventually, and that will cure the extra schedulers cost.

As for the rest, it mostly boils down to semantics and seniority. If there is uncovered flying time (well in advance of the departure time), do you only allow reserves to fly it or do you give the blockholders a shot at it first. There's arguments for both sides, but in the end the pay for that flying time (given our level of pilot longevity) is the same either way.

If you really want to save money in scheduling of pilots, finding a better way to manage reserve coverage is where the big bucks are. Eliminate the "feast or famine" that we go through with coverage. I've had more than a few cases where I've flown with 3 different reserve F/O's on a 4-day trip and each time they changed the replacement deadheaded into possition and the one replaced deadheaded back to base. Even under the new agreement with only half pay for deadhead, that adds up.

Jim

Pilots need to feel a little more pain so that U can survive. Outsource the flying jobs to MESA or any of the other discount carriers if they won't. They endorsed the concept of contract carriers, lets achieve the maximum cost saving using the contract carrier's to the maximum. Mesa pilots would fly a wide body or any plane U fly's for 1/3 of the present rate. U and ALPA shouldn't maintain 2 standards at this critical juncture. 25% might not cut it, 30% should be the number and if it isn't enough formulate a automatic additional 10% if necessary. Lets get the Mesa pilots in the training loop to maximize cost saving as soon as possible.

Since pilots are already among the LOWEST paid in the industry, U will just have to outsource MORE maintenance and utility jobs to get the balance sheet to work. Keep moaning and complaining, and see which happens FIRST. UAIRQ pilots are being hired away from the carrier at an alarming rate. I guess the complainers on this thread aren't having THAT problem! By the way, the reason I know this is that I was one of 'em!

This is really an academic arguement. As far as pilots being hired away from U, there's plenty more that can fill the bottom, if that is indeed true. For people that are leaving, I'll bet the motivation is get out before the whole thing implodes. . . and U dumps another few thousand pilots more onto the street of dreams.

BTW, I think UPS has a flat rate for pilot pay regardless of aircraft flown.

I think the point was "it's not fair." Well, "fair" "honesty" and "loyalty" doesn't have any relevance in today's corporate America.

Face it. Labor is now a commodity in the airline industry . . . . and guess what . . . . . you can be replaced by plenty of other people. They might not do it as well, but quality doesn't matter in corporate America . . . . only cheap.

oldiebutgoody said:
Since pilots are already among the LOWEST paid in the industry, U will just have to outsource MORE maintenance and utility jobs to get the balance sheet to work. Keep moaning and complaining, and see which happens FIRST. UAIRQ pilots are being hired away from the carrier at an alarming rate. I guess the complainers on this thread aren't having THAT problem! By the way, the reason I know this is that I was one of 'em!
[post="244933"][/post]​
The company just outsourced 1,938 mechanic and related jobs, they wiped out utility, so lets do the same for the pilots. Let Johnny fly the planes.

700UW said:
The company just outsourced 1,938 mechanic and related jobs, they wiped out utility, so lets do the same for the pilots. Let Johnny fly the planes.
[post="244953"][/post]​
Works for me! Glad I'm not dealing with this whining group. Not only that, but making MORE than I ever did at U. You bunch of complaining, envious, incompetents need to get on with your lives rather than sticking it into those of other folks. Man, am I glad to be gone, No ALPA, no IAM, no CWA, no AFA, and most of all, no more inept management!

oldiebutgoody said:
Works for me!
[post="244968"][/post]​

Thanks you got me laughing hard I love it when you guys go off on how much better off you are and then say get on with your life but you sit here caring so much you just need to spend your life posting here. Huh oops just like me

Would everyone here please stop and reread what they have written. What adolescent bickering jabber.
Wilderness survival 101:
1. Those at the top will never stop trying to eat their young.
2. Grab a piece of the turkey and run.
3. When you hear someone say "we have to save the ship by throwing the crew overboard" do not push your way to be first in line to the person waiving the sign "this way out", look around you, know which way is best for you.

bookmdano said:
Would everyone here please stop and reread what they have written. What adolescent bickering jabber.
Wilderness survival 101:
1. Those at the top will never stop trying to eat their young.
2. Grab a piece of the turkey and run.
3. When you hear someone say "we have to save the ship by throwing the crew overboard" do not push your way to be first in line to the person waiving the sign "this way out", look around you, know which way is best for you.
[post="244990"][/post]​

If I may I would like to ad one more to your list:

When hiking with a friend and encountering a bear, be not a faster runner than the bear, but a faster runner than your friend.

Mtnman

oldiebutgoody said:
Man, am I glad to be gone, No ALPA, no IAM, no CWA, no AFA, and most of all, no more inept management!
[post="244968"][/post]​
Isn't it remarkable that every ex-US employee that has posted here has said almost the exact same thing? Even the people who are making less than they did at US are happier.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, oldie...you deserve the life you've made for yourself.