Doom and Gloomers Beware...

Loser
Loser

The only losers are those that continue to find making the lowest wages in this industry as acceptable and feel others should not have a voice to speak against the arrogant know-it-all awe shucks Doug Parker.

It does no good anyway as he doesnt care and does what he wants.

And Scott Kirby? Watch the CLT webcam. What an unorganized boob.

I just wish this management team would keep it real. Just SAY we have low wages. We have low fares, but some are high. our customer service sucks but thats the price you pay for collective low fares. If you dont like it, there's someone else that will fly to the west coast under $200. And employee, like it or lump it.

I would then have more respect for him as right now this is the REALITY of the NEW America West.

In my opinion, the problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem. Does that make sense?

sky high states: I guess there's a fine line between "problems" and "mistakes". Every EAST employee INVESTED thousands of dollars via bankruptcy into this company. Should we not be passionate on how our lost income is being used to OPERATE this company? Every MERGER historically has had it's problems, but each decision that comes out of Tempe is amateur-ish.
They only need to read this board, to know how to operate this company. It's BEST ASSET is the employees!

As far as Piney, complaining. Good for him. Like anyone, he seeks value in his INVESTMENTS. Wouldnt YOU?

only stating opinions.

As far as Piney, complaining. Good for him. Like anyone, he seeks value in his INVESTMENTS. Wouldnt YOU?
only stating opinions.
I think you are confusing "investing" with "buying and using a consumer commodity." (Unless Piney owns a significant share of LCC stock -- in which case I would agree with you. But I am not aware that is the case. If it were, I am sure he would have brought up the fact that he is an "owner" of LCC in every post and have demanded even more attention from LCC execs.)

IYO. I am using a correct definition. According to m-w.com, "investment" is "the outlay of money usually for income or profit : capital outlay." Contrast that with a simple purchase of goods or services. Piney purchases a ticket on LCC to get LCC to take him from point A to point B, not to earn "income or profit" from LCC.

If I am not happy with a brand of peanuts, the next time I go to the store, I'll buy a different brand. I am not making an "investment" in the peanut company.

I guess you guys and gals are missing my point. Everyone seems to be an expert at running this airline. Yes, the company has made lots of money through the sacrifices of its employeees...Yes this airline can be improved by making better decisions... No-one is denying that.

What I've tried to say, and maybe haven't conveyed, is that we all make up one little cog in the big engine of LCC. Each of us has a duty. Whether we like our job or not, whether we think our computer system is sufficient enough or not, whether the procedures for everyday's work are working correctly or not, whether a CEO should be judged by it's employees or not.... is no matter.

I wasn't trained to or do I want to run an airline. I may have opinions... and I do... Meaning, Unless any of you that are CEO's of an airline. Do you really know what's best. Are your opinions the only one's that matter... Is your dialogue the golden rule... I think not..

I just want for once to hear somebody say something positive... Like...

"I CAN" see LCC finishing this difficult merger in a much better position. LCC able to compete and thrive among larger and better run company's.

"I CAN" see it's employee's happier once this merger is completed.

Again. I am only a cog in the big engine. What I think is just my opinion. I thrive on knowing I do a good job at work. I come home knowing I contributed... I CAN make a difference...

Just my opinion...

IYO. I am using a correct definition.
"devote (time or energy) to an undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result"

One can certainly make an investment in education without owning shares of an educational institution. One can make an investment of their time and energy in pursuit of a worthwhile goal without buying shares in any business. One can even invest in the tools necessary to facilitate one's career - like travel - without owning stock in the company that provides those tools.

All perfectly normal (and proper) uses of the word "investment", just not the narrow wall-street definition that suited your purpose.

Jim

Since we haven't seen a "What will be 1st qtr number be" thread - yet - I'll just throw out the latest First Call consensus:

$0.36/share excluding special items, or ~$32.4 million. The range of estimates is from $0.10/share (~$9 million) to $0.95/share (~$85.5 million).

Possible special items, from the latest investor guidance, include:

Fuel hedging losses, which could be ~$35 million.

Transition expenses, which could be ~$40 million.

Merger-related capital expenses, which could be ~$72 million.

Jim

One does not need to buy stock to have an investment in a company. There are many stakeholders who have invested in other ways that have an interest in the well-being of a company, and have expectations of returns other than those associated with an increase of the price of the stock. Employees, whether they are in some sort of ESOP or not, invest their time (and money if you account for professional expenses, transportation to/from work etc.)with the expectation of pay and benefits in return. In forgoing some of the pay and benefits, the expectation is that the company will be run well and lead to job stability. Communities invest infrastructure and grant tax breaks with the expectation that the business will provide a sevice to the community and benefit the citizens who live there. Customers invest by patronizing the business with the hope that it will be successful and continue to provide a service that they use as well as provide competition to keep prices of the service as low as possible. So you can see, someone can be an investor without being a stockholder, though Wall Street would like everyone to believe otherwise.

Since we haven't seen a "What will be 1st qtr number be" thread - yet - I'll just throw out the latest First Call consensus:

$0.36/share excluding special items, or ~$32.4 million. The range of estimates is from $0.10/share (~$9 million) to $0.95/share (~$85.5 million).

Possible special items, from the latest investor guidance, include:

Fuel hedging losses, which could be ~$35 million.

Transition expenses, which could be ~$40 million.

Merger-related capital expenses, which could be ~$72 million.

Jim

So a potential $120 million dollar loss. Hate those special items.

"Who was the first to report on this forum that would happen?"

Finally, I believe it is better to focus on the glass "half full" versus "half empty" concept because attitude is everything. As Helen Keller said, "No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

First of all, this airline made a profit yes but how much COULD they have made if they'd made some better decisions? Much more!

How many travelers like myself are going to play this out for this year and then switch when the new 'preferred year' starts? Based on what I can tell sitting in FC and on these boards, quite a few. The bad decisions being made and continuing to be made in the school of "Management by Microsoft Excel" without intelligent creative thought will be paid later on.

Secondly, I agreed with you many times over the past several years. I think Lakefield did a particularly amazing job, and Siegel was doing what he could do. But the current management team is like Bush/Cheney...they look good at first and are making decisions that will cause a slow downward spiral.

Either that or just throw in the towel and be Greyhound Airlines and stop making false advertisements about their wonderful frequent flier program and how great the merger is going. Just be honest - how about a banner ad:

"We don't about frequent fliers and our employees are grumpy but fly us because we'll get you there someday kinda cheap"

I went to bat for this airline a few years ago and paid $900 a week for almost a year to fly into a small town from a small town. And this was during bankruptcy. I am a 6 year chairman veteran and as you can tell by the above statement was not made on a pile of $99 trips to Orlando. This is my last year if things do not improve very quickly.

I think you are confusing "investing" with "buying and using a consumer commodity." (Unless Piney owns a significant share of LCC stock -- in which case I would agree with you. But I am not aware that is the case. If it were, I am sure he would have brought up the fact that he is an "owner" of LCC in every post and have demanded even more attention from LCC execs.)

Any one passenger that lives in a fortress hub city is invested in said airline

All perfectly normal (and proper) uses of the word "investment", just not the narrow wall-street definition that suited your purpose.

X-U said:
So you can see, someone can be an investor without being a stockholder, though Wall Street would like everyone to believe otherwise.
You people are funny. I quote from the Merriam-Webster dictionary. When I need an on-line dictionary, I usually think of them first because it is a short, easy-to-remember web address (w-m.com). But now they are part of the evil "Wall Street Plot" too?

:lol:

But you're right. We should go to Soviet-style central planning since U.S.-style capitalism clearly isn't working relative to the rest of the world.

One does not need to buy stock to have an investment in a company. There are many stakeholders who have invested in other ways that have an interest in the well-being of a company, and have expectations of returns other than those associated with an increase of the price of the stock. Employees, whether they are in some sort of ESOP or not, invest their time (and money if you account for professional expenses, transportation to/from work etc.)with the expectation of pay and benefits in return. In forgoing some of the pay and benefits, the expectation is that the company will be run well and lead to job stability. Communities invest infrastructure and grant tax breaks with the expectation that the business will provide a sevice to the community and benefit the citizens who live there. Customers invest by patronizing the business with the hope that it will be successful and continue to provide a service that they use as well as provide competition to keep prices of the service as low as possible. So you can see, someone can be an investor without being a stockholder, though Wall Street would like everyone to believe otherwise.

those are not investments

Any one passenger that lives in a fortress hub city is invested in said airline

that is not an investment

Come on, people, this is 10th grade Basic Finance 101. You have to put your own money into the company in order to be an investor.

Latest posts