Doom and Gloomers Beware...

You people are funny. I quote from the Merriam-Webster dictionary. When I need an on-line dictionary, I usually think of them first because it is a short, easy-to-remember web address (w-m.com). But now they are part of the evil "Wall Street Plot" too?

:lol:

DICTIONARY.COM

in·vest·ment /ɪnˈvɛstmənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-vest-muhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.
2. a particular instance or mode of investing.
3. a thing invested in, as a business, a quantity of shares of stock, etc.
4. something that is invested; sum invested.
5. the act or fact of investing or state of being invested, as with a garment.
6. a devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc., as for a purpose or to achieve something: His investment in the project included more time than he cared to remember.
7. Biology. any covering, coating, outer layer, or integument, as of an animal or vegetable.
8. the act of investing with a quality, attribute, etc.
9. investiture with an office, dignity, or right.
10. a siege or blockade; the surrounding of a place with military forces or works, as in besieging.
11. Also called investment compound. Metallurgy. a refractory material applied in a plastic state to a pattern to make a mold.
12. Archaic. a garment or vestment.

:up: :up:

only stating opinions

One could consider FF'er Miles and their use on Star Alliance Partners and US Airways as a Return on Investment, So therefore picking an airline based on it's loyalty program and features like automatic upgrades, etc would thus make the ticket a dual purpose item under your scenario. It would be both a purchase of a service with a reward or Dividend (Perhaps why it's called Dividend Miles) which makes it an investment.
Actually that's not a bad point.

However, your "investment" clearly hasn't been yielding an adequate return for many years now, according to your own postings. Yet you continue to "invest" in the same loser company, year after year after year.

So it doesn't seem like you are a very smart investor, PB.

Perhaps, but this gives you the opportunity to *invest* a lot of time on the US board asking him why he’s still here.
Nope. I might "spend" time here, but I wouldn't consider it an "investment."

Too bad so many can't see the difference.

Actually that's not a bad point.

However, your "investment" clearly hasn't been yielding an adequate return for many years now, according to your own postings. Yet you continue to "invest" in the same loser company, year after year after year.

So it doesn't seem like you are a very smart investor, PB.

That's not the point. The issue is on whether FFlers have an investment in the company; not whether the investment is a good one or not.

Employees have an investment in the company. They contribute to the company's success or failure, which can have a direct impact on the shareholder value for wallstreet investors.

Apparently it's already in the media that US will be in the black, so it must be true, right??? :shock:

East Valley Tribune article

Gee, it was only the storms and not the shares migration.
What was I thinking.

"To everything (Spin,spin,spin)
There is a season (Spin,spin,spin.)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

[Chorus]
'A time to be born, a time to lie
A time to plant, a time to rape.
A time to kill, a time to steal
A time to laugh, a time to veep'

"To everything (Spin, spin,spin)
There is a season (Spin.spin,spin)

[Chorus]
A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To everything (Spin,spin,spin)
There is a season (Spin,spin,spin)

[Chorus]
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

(40 sec. Instrumental Break)

To everything (Spin,spin,spin)
There is a season (Spin,spin,spin)

[Chorus]
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late"

(My apologies to Pete Seegar>)

The "profit" the company made was from our pay concessions. Piney Bob, just tell the "new Usairways" that both you and Art from Islip are travelling Southwest from now on! You must all understand that this company is run by Mormons. This is no lie, just ask around. There are two things that freak them out.

1-THE MEDIA
2-SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

I know that alot of other carriers are jumping on our frequent flyers right now, offering them their equiv status on their airlines. Go for it and RUN!

You know what they say, Piney - when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I guess it follows that if all you know is 10th grade Basic Finance 101, everything looks like Wall Street. Maybe time for Bear to invest in some further education.

Jim

NO, Bear it's not 10th grade finances. I have stock in US and in a fortress Hub I am fighting a monopoly enterprise.
I didn't say it was.

Read more carefully.

You know what they say, Piney - when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I guess it follows that if all you know is 10th grade Basic Finance 101, everything looks like Wall Street. Maybe time for Bear to invest in some further education.

Jim
Looks like you share Piney's reading comprehension problem.

I did not say anything about a 10th grade education level. You both have me confused with someone else.

Yet most of the posts on here of doom and gloom.

I don't see that. Do you have numbers?

People say this company will be bankrupt and in the dumps by the end of the year. Listen, If a company can make money with the monumental problems we had in the most difficult quarter of the year, we are still going to be around for a few more years... Believe me...

It should be, with the lowest labor costs in a labor-intensive industry. In fact, it should be making scads of cash. What is wrong?

We may not like the people running this airline, we may not like the decisions they do, we may not like the union representation we have, or the people in office... yet...
we all come back everyday and do it all over again.

Yeah, when someone has half their life invested in a "tribe", it is damn hard to change. Everyone wants to know they did not screw up accepting employment with whatever this became.

Face it. We are all robots... trained... disiplined... beaten...

That is wrong on so many levels it begs to be beaten into pulp, but I don't have the time.

One item. Airline operations changes on almost a minute by minute basis, to the point that no rules can be written to accomodate even a large percent of the changes. Mismatches can and are life-threatening as well as spectacular (news worthy).

Airlines need employees who can think for themselves. SWA, an airline paragon, enhances that aspect. US, not so much.

Airlines can automate some aspects, but, I think you will find the more successful ones minimize the robotic aspect of their employees.

Im tired of listening to the F/A's that did this or that. Im tired of the FF's that gripe about everything and are happy about nothing. Im tired of this constant doom and gloom about everything this airline does. Is there anyone out there who has a positive opinion?

You are starting to sound like a320moron.

He might have you believe there are only two states to a glass of water, half full or half empty. This binary thinking carries throughout "his" written drek. This mindset allows him (and others like him) to be trapped by the minimally intelligent, like Glass, into boxes with no good outcome.

His inappropriate analogy actually has many options and outcomes. All one has to do is the challenge the binary paradigm. Colloquially, it is called thinking outside the box.

Hasn't anyone out there heard of the "Secret of Attraction"?

That latest comment, I hope, was tongue in cheek, right? Another snake oil salesman selling "promise of hope" to those with neither.

Jeez, whatever happen to the work ethic, hard work damn near guarantees just rewards, or some such drivel?

those are not investments
that is not an investment

Come on, people, this is 10th grade Basic Finance 101. You have to put your own money into the company in order to be an investor.

Investopedia - Cite This Source
Stakeholder

One who has a share or an interest in an enterprise.

Investopedia Commentary

Stakeholders in a company may include shareholders, directors, management, suppliers, government, employees, and the community.

Read more carefully.
Looks like you share Piney's reading comprehension problem.

I did not say anything about a 10th grade education level. You both have me confused with someone else.
Perhaps your "superior" reading comprehension can point out the phrase "10th grade education level" or even the word "level" in my post....

Jim
Lacking that, maybe your reading comprehension is as lacking as your knowledge of word usage.

Jim

the latest First Call consensus:

$0.36/share excluding special items, or ~$32.4 million. The range of estimates is from $0.10/share (~$9 million) to $0.95/share (~$85.5 million).
A day after First Call issued that consensus estimate, they issued another....

$0.29/share excluding special items, or ~$26 million. The low estimate remains the same at $0.10/share but the high estimate dropped from $0.95/share to $0.62 cents/share, or ~$56 million.

Jim

Hey the old US Airways sucked and we all know it, but don't think I am going to paint the new US...I mean America West in positive favor when they continue to make stupid decisions that are NOT thought out and have NOTHING to do with East vs. West. :down: :down: :down: :down:

ussnark

I feel you seem to have misjudged me. Everyone looks at life, actions, words, in many ways. How you see something might be different than I. It's not to say I'm wrong for not seeing it your way, or visa versa. I stated my opinion, just like you... it's different than yours...

The robot is a metaphor... Yes, I do have control for my actions... Yes, the company gives you flexability... What you seem to precieve, is that everyone at LCC comes to work with the attitude no one cares about the serious issues at the company.

The robot is the company...trained...disiplined...beaten...

What you don't see is the remarkable turn around for a combined company that can go to an investment group/groups and retain over 12 Billion Dollars in credit.

Try doing that at say... Dollar General... Fat Tuesday... whatever...

What I'm looking for is Positive Mentatl Attitude...
Not only by the people I work with, but the passengers as well.

Remember the old saying "You get more from Honey than Vinegar"... This applies here.

Just my opinion...