E175 flights begin, E170 back to Charlotte

PHX PHLyer

Advanced
Nov 22, 2006
It appears that the Republic operated E175s have finally made their appearance in the US system. Just saw there has been some PHL-DFW and PHL-IND flying for a couple of days (PHL-DFW must have been underserved seeing as how they made an E170 an E190...and then made another E170 now an E175). There are a few other routes that I happened to see the E175 on like PHL-BDL (I think) and PHL-PVD (I think). Does anyone know what exact routes these will be flying, how many are currently in the system, and how quickly they will enter the system? Wasn't the plan that these would replace the Chataqua E145s going to CO? Wasn't this part of the plan to meet the new seat requirements at LGA? Will we be seeing these at LGA anytime soon, or possibly any E170s instead of E145s?

Also, I presume that corresponding with the E175 introduction was the reintroduction of E170s to the CLT market These have been on hiatus out of CLT for quite some time. But I see E170s now operating CLT-BWI, ORF, CMH, ROC. There might possibly be some other routes. Anyone know them?

Just a little update, thought some people might care.

A lot of people care that whenever you see a Republic jet it represents lost Mainline Pilot or F/A jobs.

Also it sucks to know those (E-170's) planes were bought at the expense of the USAirways Pilots pension plan. Compliments of "Just call me Dave" Siegel.

They're getting them on the line pretty quick....

From Embraer press release:

São José dos Campos, March 7, 2007 -
Embraer delivered the first two EMBRAER 175 jets to the U.S.-based operator Republic Airlines, last week. The E-Jets mark the beginning of this model’s flight in the U.S. domestic market. The company has placed firm orders for 30 EMBRAER 175 jets, which will be operated by the carrier, under the US Airways Express brand name.

Jim

ps - Seems like I remember reading that Republic is supposed to get about 2 a month.

Republic already operates the 28 E170s US Airways bought with employee concessions under the broken promise that US Airways employees would work them. US is also allowing them to use US's options to operate an additional 30 E175s (a few seats shy of an E190).

To put it in perspective, those 60 airplanes are an airlines worth of lost flying. Thats 800 pilot positions and 800 flight attendant positions not to mention all of the related support jobs in maintenance etc.

This is the number one reason that US Airways will never grow again. If the unions had any balls and really wanted to make sure there is a future for mainline employees, they would demand that the entire E170/175/190/195 family is scoped back into mainline and get the outsourced employees off the property before any merger occurs. Only at this labor-unfriendly airline can you find the same exact aircraft/pilot type operated both at the mainline and by an outsourcing company. Its absolutely ludicrous.

The arrival of the E175 is a very bad thing for each and every US Airways employee.

Republic already operates the 28 E170s US Airways bought with employee concessions under the broken promise that US Airways employees would work them. US is also allowing them to use US's options to operate an additional 30 E175s (a few seats shy of an E190).

To put it in perspective, those 60 airplanes are an airlines worth of lost flying. Thats 800 pilot positions and 800 flight attendant positions not to mention all of the related support jobs in maintenance etc.

This is the number one reason that US Airways will never grow again. If the unions had any balls and really wanted to make sure there is a future for mainline employees, they would demand that the entire E170/175/190/195 family is scoped back into mainline and get the outsourced employees off the property before any merger occurs. Only at this labor-unfriendly airline can you find the same exact aircraft/pilot type operated both at the mainline and by an outsourcing company. Its absolutely ludicrous.

The arrival of the E175 is a very bad thing for each and every US Airways employee.
I hear ya...but most people dont even get it...I am sick of telling the block holders that they are and were crazy for just sittin around lettin these express airlines walk away with all our flying. Thats why the company and the AFA will not get away with what they did to the "midatlantic" employees. And if anyone thinks differently...well..you will see soon how its all gonna turn out for those former "MAA" mainline f/a's that are fighting back. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!!!An express carrier has 10 seats less than a mainline jet. :down:

Please don't forget how many jobs were lost in the outstations due to them either....... :(

Good point. I think many stations became mainline express either when the planes went to Republic or maybe before when they were mainline but branded Express (only US Airways would do something as idiotic as that by the way- US Airways Express operated by US Airways, duh...)

Very sad that the airline has been outsourced and the new management is continuing and growing the trend. Notice no news in About US, no real mention of the E175s from Tempe at all, they just quietly showed up one day flying our routes.

Well, to be fair they did mention that the E175s were coming back last summer, but they have been quiet about it ever since. Also, 20 Chautauqua E145s will be leaving the fleet so there won't be any increase in aircraft per say. While, I realize that many of you see it as outsourced jobs, US has a contract with Republic, since they invested in US in BK2, that doesn't allow it to reduce the amount of flying. So while its tough to be happy, I'd much rather have better-sized aircraft like the E175 flying around instead of those small, constantly weight-restricted E145s (would be nice to see the E175s as mainline though!).

Well, to be fair they did mention that the E175s were coming back last summer, but they have been quiet about it ever since. Also, 20 Chautauqua E145s will be leaving the fleet so there won't be any increase in aircraft per say. While, I realize that many of you see it as outsourced jobs, US has a contract with Republic, since they invested in US in BK2, that doesn't allow it to reduce the amount of flying. So while its tough to be happy, I'd much rather have better-sized aircraft like the E175 flying around instead of those small, constantly weight-restricted E145s (would be nice to see the E175s as mainline though!).

Im not saying we didnt know, Im just saying there was no fanfare because they obviously dont want a repeat of when the 170s went over.

And theres no way to not see it as outsourcing. Mainline people flying a mainline plane, replaced by an outside company. Thats outsourcing. It was Air Wisconsin that invested money in US, RP just gobbled up the airplanes and some slots for leaseback. The amount recieved from Republic was only enough to cover the incentive bonuses of 35 members of US East management, so no US Airways frontline employee benefited from this move, and it did not aid US in the merger or bankrupcy emergence.

US tore up all of its employee contracts in bankrupcy, leases with the city of Pittsburgh, and deals with tons of other vendors. They could easily broken off any kind of relationship with a commuter airline it wanted to (see United and Air Wisconsin). So it was not a case of being unable to get out of a contract, it was a case of selling out the employees for a quick buck to cover golden parachutes.

Sorry, no one is going to say they are happy to see an affiliate company flying full size jets in our uniforms and colors while we continue to stagnate with employees on the street and all seniority levels stuck where they were decades ago. Who cares if some 50 seaters leave. These are not going to Altoona. I dont remember seeing 50 seaters in DFW, MSY, IAH...

Its funny your name is is FutureUSCapt, because this exact thing will prevent any sort of new job growth or current job movement at US, unless you count pretending to be one at outsourcing Republic. Tough to be happy? Quite the understatement.

Republic didn't use the original E170 options for their order. The E190s were purchased using the rest of the E170 order options. The E175s were ordered soley by Republic under a Republic/Embraer agreement.

EMBFA:

You do make some good points about outsourcing but some of your information is incorrect. First, Republic committed $125 million to the new US Airways, which is as much as Eastshore/Air Wisconsin gave. Here is the press link.

US Obtains Second $125 Million Equity Commitment

There's a line in there that says

"The agreement also includes a commitment by US Airways to amend and restate its existing jet service agreement with Chautauqua, to assume that agreement and to enter into a new jet service agreement with Republic for regional jet feed using the Embraer (EMB) 170 and 190 aircraft under the US Airways Express brand."

so while I don't know the specifics, I feel reasonable confident saying that we can not just void this contract anytime.

My main point was certainly not to defend outsourcing or the actions the old US took, but only to say that these E175s (while certainly mainline looking planes) are not creating more outsourced jobs than there already are since they are replacing outsourced work. The real damage was done when the old US did signed the deal with the Republic and sent to E170s to them. Is Tempe bringing work back in house? No, but they're not giving away any more jobs that weren't already gone (atleast, not yet).

Secondly, and less importantly, US still flies some 50-seaters on routes like PHL to ATL, DTW, MSP, etc - so atleast from the passenger's perspective, these aircraft will be more in line with the competition on these routes.

Republic didn't use the original E170 options for their order. The E190s were purchased using the rest of the E170 order options. The E175s were ordered soley by Republic under a Republic/Embraer agreement.

Actaully, I believe EMBFA is correct here. I can't find a press release for this, but I believe they are coming off some of the 50 options that US has for the E170/190.