EAST and WEST Flight Attendants Working Together

FlyDeMetrius

Oct 22, 2002
I have a different perspective on a couple of things regarding the invols f/a working along with HP (US West F/As) I think that this could be a good thing because it will allow East and West to work together on the same plane. So it could be look at sort of like and semi-intergarated airline. It may show the West f/a's that east f/a's are not a bad group people. Also the one that take the jobs at WEST are some the classiest and professional flight attendants on the line good luck.

That's a good start I agree....the only problem with that whole idea is that the INVOL's were some of the youngest and freshest faces on the property, they aren't as jaded and bitter as everybody else on the East side! :eek: But we have to start somewhere to get this ball rolling!

The other week a couple of furloughed F/A's got together in Phoenix for a drink. We hadn't seen each other since 2003 when we were all furloughed. As the night went on we recounted our career with US Airways. Right out of training we were eager,willing and care free. All of us about 20 pounds lighter and full of hope. For a couple of weeks we had a great time out there flying. Most of us were based in CLT were we recieved our share of remarks but figured it was what ever new hire went through. Toward the start of 2000 the union and management were in contract talks. CHOAS was going to bring Mr. Wolff and US AIrways to it's knees. At that time we were all still on probation. From both sides we were told that we would lose our jobs if we crossed the line or if we honored CHAOS. After that we had a couple of good years before the bottom fell out. Fuorloughs, displacement, call back to MDA, furlough again has all taken place in such a short time. As we slowly sipped our adult beverages into the wee hours of the morning and went back over our history. It occurred to us that no matter what happens we are first and formost Flight Attendants. We have been told by the union and management good luck but we are unable to help you. For years we have tried to help each other. When someone didn't have any food we pulled together to help them. When people were laid off and lost their homes or apts we took each other in. We keep in contact to discuss the lastest news from the company. While this is a hard pill to sallow and the economics are beyond most of our means; we are going to do our best to come out to PHX and work with a smile and an open mind. I have had enough of working with charter outfits. I want to work at a real airline. I don't want to come to work to find out that the plane has been repoed (like with Pace in PHX). I have had enough of scrubing toliets, vaccuming, catering and sleeping on airplanes for crew rest. Once again we are eager, willing, but scared of what to expect in PHX. I know that we are going to support each other the way we always have in the past. So to Management and the Union guess what some of us are going to PHX and we can't wait to have fun and work with a postive attitude. I look forward to making new friends out in PHX. And to those that are fearful we will be taking seniority from them don't be. After my time in PHX is up and the East starts to open I will go back. Not a matter of want to but have to because alot of us still have houses and families on the East Coast.

Hey WhatNot...We are not all Bitter. What's up with the Nasty Comment Man !! :down:

One of the East furloughs and I have already begun integration, BTW.
She was commuting on my flight, and I invited her up front to chat after the movie was over.
When it was time to do another beverage service, she bartended for me while I ran the drinks out. It was fun!
She's in PHX already, so she will be able to take advantage of the offer and I can't wait to see her again, and meet the rest!

Thanks AZJetdude.Can't wait to get back to Phoenix myself. If anyone from 99-09,99-10, or 99-11 are going out let me or usairfa99-11 know. We are trying to get apts in Tempe to help everyone out. I plan on buying an airport carso we will have transportation (Not driving another 36 hours from CLT to PHX ever again.)

YOU GO GUYS.....This is the kind of thread that rocks my boat. I can't wait to work with you also. I'm so proud to see that genuine F/A's are coming together to help each other out. You will be surprise by the kindness and generosity the west F/A's will give you. I know you'll succeed. Many will be surprise that you want to go back east when you can. I think people forget that ours roots are important to us. Otherwise everyone would live in San Diego!! Best of Luck and fly safe.

usairfa05....your story has to be one of the best posts I have seen on this site. I am a "West" flight attendant and I look forward to meeting you. Please PM me if you need any info on the Phoenix area.

usairfa05....your story has to be one of the best posts I have seen on this site. I am a "West" flight attendant and I look forward to meeting you. Please PM me if you need any info on the Phoenix area.

Now I am LOVING what I am reading in this thread :up: ! I hear that letters were FINALLY sent out to all the East invols, too bad that we only have until Monday (Jan 30, 1200) to make a decision. I do not think many will come out here, but to add from a previous message from usairfa05, I am an East invol who lives in Tempe. If you need ANYTHING, please let me know. I am not starting training at AWA until the June class (currently in school), so I would not be a primary transportation guy for you, but if you need a free hot meal or a place to unwind, I'm your guy!! Also, my apartment complex is in the process of turning my two bedroom into a three...I am debating if I will renew my lease or not. It's in Tempe, close to airport (without traffic) but I could find somewhere cheaper...Just send me a PM if you need anything. The response I've gotten from posts in other forums and PM's I've received from West f/a's have left a great impression upon me. We WILL be fine working together. Let all those complainers and whiners do what they do best (complain and whine :p ) For the rest of us, I challenge all of you to come together as one, sooner rather than later. Whatever will happen, will happen. Just because we have a new face running the company, management will still be management. Although I do not know much about Doug Parker, I'm sure he's a helluva lot better than Wolf, Gangwal, Siegel. We now need to focus on what's best for the ENTIRE F/A GROUP, and not just a particular region. So let's get away from east/west, and start focusing on US (the new US)!!! :D

That's a good start I agree....the only problem with that whole idea is that the INVOL's were some of the youngest and freshest faces on the property, they aren't as jaded and bitter as everybody else on the East side! :eek: But we have to start somewhere to get this ball rolling!

So you want to work with jaded and bitter people?? :eek: I think young and fresh is a lot better than jaded and bitter. Your logic is that you'll get along better with that negativity? :shock: I don't think the job description changes all that much ("a pepsi to 19C, 22D won't stay in his seat, and 24B is still on his cell phone, and this is the third time I've asked him to turn it off"). So we will come to training, brush up on FARs, learn your commands, review the aircraft, and learn your service flow...but to want to do that with jaded and bitter over hip and fresh...I do not understand your reasoning. Furthermore, I have made life long friends and co-workers (junior AND senior when I was at US Airways...they're not all bitter!!) Care to enlighten me on that comment??

I agree! Life is too short to be bitter and jaded. It drains your energy and makes you wrinkly and fugly.
Being happy, fresh and young is better. Just say no to negativity. ;)

what a good thread. this will work out.i know it will . good luck to all our brothers and sisters who are returning. phx is getting a bunch of great people.

Wow, let me just bask in the positive sunshine for a sec. it feels great.
I have been a West F/A for 21+ years and I just want to say welcome to you all..Senior, junior,..it's all good..We just need to stop the East west fight and join together for the fight for a fair contract...ALL FOR ONE, SOLIDARITY, and see you on line!!!! :up:

Latest posts