EWR-TLV?

algflyr

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
Looking at the trip pairings on the A-330 in Oct., I noticed that the TLV trip on Oct. 1st flies the normal PHL-TLV, but the return trip is TLV to EWR. Overnight in EWR and DH to PHL the next day. Also the pairing on Oct. 3rd starts with a DH to EWR to overnight. Then fly EWR-TLV on the 4th...

Anyone know what this is??? Charter maybe?

So apparently on Oct 4th, US will have two flights flying to TLV. One is the normal PHL-TLV that leaves at night and also one from EWR-TLV that leaves at 5am...

Just wondering...

I don't see the EWR flight to book on US.com. What is the flight number showing on the trip sheet for that flight? If it's a 9000 flight number, it's a charter or some special flight.

I believe it occurs over the Jewish high holy days.  TLV Ben Gurion Airport shuts down for at least a day during this period, and since the normal trip is four days long, without the deadheads in each direction the crews would be required to fly a 5-day trip....which is contractually illegal for the pilots.  So, the company has to deadhead on other carriers, i.e. United, in order to comply with the contract and get the pilots back in the 4-day period.  I don't know if the F/As have that restriction in their contract and if they have the same EWR layovers in their pairings.

My bad. A closer look shows there are deadheads on one end of each pairing. It's hard to tell on the pairings as the DH planes are also a 330... sorry for the confusion. It didn't seem to make any sense, and now I know why... :)

They do this every year during the Yom Kippur holiday . I have flown this trip like 3 times . I have worked the one where you DH to EWR . Overnight for 18 hrs . Then DH to TLV on UA . Then you layover for 25 hrs and work the flt back to PHL .