F/A sings...Should I stay or should I go now....

Have fun. Milk this airline for everything it gives.

When it is time to walk away, no one's advice will change your mind.

In much fewer words, agreeing with Bob.

sadly this thread points out many things that are wrong not only with the airline business, but with unions, corporations, politicians and even spiritual leaders.

I have no pearls of wisdom real or imagined to share with you as to what to do. Those of us who work for someone else are hired to be fired. Each of us has a bullet with our name and execution date on it.

Performance no longer matters as once you become Older and they can hire two kids out of school for what they pay you, then you're gone. Once your older some MBA points out that the company could lower their health care costs if the work force were younger, Once again you're gone.

Unions offer some protection in return for wage stagnation and a grindingly slow decline in your standard of living as you careen towards retirement, if you can afford to retire.

Corporations treat you well just so long as it's convenient for them to do so. If you're someone who thinks for themselves you're usually the first to go as Corporations talk the talk regarding employee involvement but rarely walk the walk.

Politicians polarize us in order to divide and conquer us in order to keep us subservient and quiet. They are now the Jerry Glass of the ruling class.

Spiritual Leaders offer no leadership, just ways to keep the offering plate full to do "God's Work" while riding in a $60,000 luxury sedan. So much for a vow of poverty.

Given the above what is the average worker supposed to do? You have to figure out a way to at least survive on your terms and maybe then you can work on thriving. My advice to the so called leaders above is, "Be Careful What You Teach Us". as we may become very good students of the Do it to them before they do it to you mentality that permeates the folks mentioned above.

We already are hearing complaints that the younger members of our workforce have no loyalty. Like I said, Be careful what you teach us for it seems to me that for anyone under 35 the cat is out of the bag regarding corporate loyalty and work life. We've been had folks

So thanks for letting me rant!

Excellent perspective. "survive on your terms and maybe then you can work on thriving" is a great statement to pinch yourself with everyday. Be skeptical of the "We're here for you" people. They have their own agendas too. Just remember, SELF FIRST AND RESUME SECOND. Thanks Bob

Excellent posts from everyone. I was kind of expecting to hear (from some) "RUN!" "Don't let the Jet bridge door hit you on the way out" things like that! Its good to hear REAL support and good advice! Because, I too, LUV what I do, but I can't solely rely on it.

It helps me to get to work on a better plan B and to get things into a better perspective. Last night's news could have been potentially devastating (OMG, not again!) I am currently working (almost) all my days off and putting whatever cash I get in the bank. I didn't consider taking up classes until reading this and some of the courses you mentioned I will be pursuing avidly.

I appreciate it also. Thank you :up:

I was expecting the same thing actually.
Considering the job market, going to school online while I continue working would be the wise choice.
I think just to have something else happening would feel great instead of waiting for this job to return to the "way it was". I dont see that happenng. Then at least I will be working toward something and if usairways gives us a 20% pay raise and 50 days of vacation in a few years great!/...rofl....otherwise I can be prepared to jump ship....

Do yourself a big favor, things WILL NOT return the way they were..
This is a dif comp, cheap and cheaper..
Do We Cheat Em and How!

Ive been actively looking the past year...things are tuff..something will break, and when it does...whoosh....outta here..

Put me in a QUIET office, none of this bullshit to deal with..

Ive had my share...

Best of Luck to you~

sadly this thread points out many things that are wrong not only with the airline business, but with unions, corporations, politicians and even spiritual leaders.

I have no pearls of wisdom real or imagined to share with you as to what to do. Those of us who work for someone else are hired to be fired. Each of us has a bullet with our name and execution date on it.

Some of us were able to change that date and pull our own trigger. I sometimes regret it, not only for the money, but for the people I worked with. Great folks at UA and I am sure that we all work with great people in whatever industry or job that you hold. :up:

Performance no longer matters as once you become Older and they can hire two kids out of school for what they pay you, then you're gone. Once your older some MBA points out that the company could lower their health care costs if the work force were younger, Once again you're gone.

Unions offer some protection in return for wage stagnation and a grindingly slow decline in your standard of living as you careen towards retirement, if you can afford to retire.

Corporations treat you well just so long as it's convenient for them to do so. If you're someone who thinks for themselves you're usually the first to go as Corporations talk the talk regarding employee involvement but rarely walk the walk.

That is a fact. Corporations do not respect knowledge built up over the years but rely on the pedigree. When I was at UA, I ‘created’ a test product and helped two engineers write their thesis on my creation to get their masters. One student even had the audacity to use my code in his thesis and asked me what it meant. I am pretty much self educated with many university courses over a broad range of subjects, yet no degree. I exacted a higher salary because of my performance and that worked out quite well for awhile until ‘pedigree’ jealousy crept in. Degree superceded performance. I also found this prejudice in my side business as a private contractor and would loose contracts because of a piece of paper regardless of performance and ability. Fortunately, I foresaw this change and adjusted my investments to my benefit. Now I am on autopilot, not making a great sum of $$$ as I once did but able to maintain my life style, for now… as life and finances is dynamic.

Politicians polarize us in order to divide and conquer us in order to keep us subservient and quiet. They are now the Jerry Glass of the ruling class.

Also true, politicians polarize people in the attempt to differentiate themselves as a superior product. Not much is dissimilar as to how unions try to portray themselves as protectors of workers. If Citizens and workers would take an active role in both politics and labor, things would change.

Spiritual Leaders offer no leadership, just ways to keep the offering plate full to do "God's Work" while riding in a $60,000 luxury sedan. So much for a vow of poverty.

All do not preach from the Crystal Palace. Check your PM. If you are ever in CommieFornia I’ll introduce you!

Given the above what is the average worker supposed to do? You have to figure out a way to at least survive on your terms and maybe then you can work on thriving. My advice to the so called leaders above is, "Be Careful What You Teach Us". as we may become very good students of the Do it to them before they do it to you mentality that permeates the folks mentioned above.

We already are hearing complaints that the younger members of our workforce have no loyalty. Like I said, Be careful what you teach us for it seems to me that for anyone under 35 the cat is out of the bag regarding corporate loyalty and work life. We've been had folks

So thanks for letting me rant!

Me Too! :up:

Take Care,
B) xUT

Latest posts