First Class standards of service

Sep 18, 2007
Miami
I heard that FC on US Airways isn't what AA's is… I was told that they don't have stuff like glassware or beverage accompaniment (what we call the ramekins of warm nuts) in domestic first, is this true? I know AA has worked to try to keep their Domestic First product a cut above as others have cut back on the amenities, so how likely is it that Parker & Co do the same-- I know the US hubs aren't as "business centric" as the AA "cornerstone" cities so is it inevitable that first class gets cuts?

USAIR FC is a joke. They only serve meals on flights over 4 hours. For awhile they did not have real mugs or glassware onboard domestic FC however apparently they have returned. Domestic US product is inferior to AA-no entertainment, no in seat power, and the flights that feature meals are far inferior to what AA offers. It has been announced that US is being elevated to AA standards.

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
Last april I was on a 3 and a half hr flight and fc got hot meals..... do you have a link to the article where us fc is being upgraded to aa?

Robbed, see here:

American and US will slowly begin to align their product offerings, including meals, in-flight entertainment, and seating. The merged airline will use the current American product as its template and, as a result, the current US Airways product will be greatly enhanced to ensure uniformity across both airlines until they are merged under one operating certificate.

There are two additional key dates later in the year, according to people familiar with the matter. On April 1, US Airways will adopt Americans meal windows and catering, and on September 1, the US Airways soft product (i.e. in-flight service) will mirror Americans. Also by that date, new aircraft being delivered to US Airways will have the new AA interiors. A spokesman for US Airways would not comment specifically about these plans.
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/12/american-airlines-challenges-ahead-include-merging-systems-changing-alliances-and-aligning-in-flight-service/

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
US Airways first class is a joke - makes UA and DL look good. 
Fortunately, it's gone at the end of March. The AA product will be rolled onto US effective April 1st (catering and meal windows) and September 1st (same glassware, plates, etc.). 

CLT/PHL-CA/PDX/SEA, SAN-DCA and PHX-ANC will have the enhanced trans-con service. 

MAH4546 said:
US Airways first class is a joke - makes UA and DL look good. 
Fortunately, it's gone at the end of March. The AA product will be rolled onto US effective April 1st (catering and meal windows) and September 1st (same glassware, plates, etc.). 

CLT/PHL-CA/PDX/SEA, SAN-DCA and PHX-ANC will have the enhanced trans-con service. 

While I share your opinion about US service, I'm not so enthusiastic that it will be elevated to AA standards.  Given how HP has operated US, I fear that there will be a downgrade of the AA service closer to US.  Just my IMHO.  I'll certainly give the new AA a try, but it will most likely be that BA (and their options out of LHR to get me where I need to go in EU) is what keeps me from switching to DL or even UA for international flights and WN for US domestic flights.

I'm less worried about the F service than I am the ground experience...

If the Admirals Club starts to look like the Presidents' Club, I'm done.

Same thing for the bag handling on arrival... AA's really cleaned that up in the last two years -- my bag is consistently out within the first dozen or so when the premium tags are used.

I've got my million miles and the card to show for it, all earned before the closing. The second million miles? Those depend entirely on what happens with the integration.

Maybe this will help..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCz8he36hsk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

While I share your opinion about US service, I'm not so enthusiastic that it will be elevated to AA standards.  Given how HP has operated US, I fear that there will be a downgrade of the AA service closer to US.  Just my IMHO.  I'll certainly give the new AA a try, but it will most likely be that BA (and their options out of LHR to get me where I need to go in EU) is what keeps me from switching to DL or even UA for international flights and WN for US domestic flights.

It's natural to worry about considering how much US sucks, but it's already a done deal. US is getting AA's catering and meal windows. AA will also be launching enhanced F soft product next month, including three meal choices on all trans-cons (previously limited to 3-class F). 

Now, all we have to do is get the AA caterers to deliver to the airplane the items that are listed on the catering papers, and get rid of the AA management who decided that offering two meal choices that are wildly different would be ok--for instance, 8 of the 16 people in F/C on a dinner flight would get a beef filet with polenta, green beans, and a side salad; the other 8 people would get a green salad with Buffalo chicken (which has been a lunch time selection)!

One nice addition though has been the ability of the passengers to pre-order their meal selection when they check-in (up to 24 hours prior to departure). The AA procedure is that meal preferences are taken forward-aft on even-numbered flights and aft-forward on odd-numbered flights. The frequent flyers know this; so, if they are sitting in the front row of F/C on an odd-numbered flight, the pre-order feature gives them the opportunity to have a choice. (If it's a dinner flight, usually the pasta dish is what's left by the time you get to the last row regardless of direction.)

jimntx said:
Now, all we have to do is get the AA caterers to deliver to the airplane the items that are listed on the catering papers, and get rid of the AA management who decided that offering two meal choices that are wildly different would be ok--for instance, 8 of the 16 people in F/C on a dinner flight would get a beef filet with polenta, green beans, and a side salad; the other 8 people would get a green salad with Buffalo chicken (which has been a lunch time selection)!

One nice addition though has been the ability of the passengers to pre-order their meal selection when they check-in (up to 24 hours prior to departure). The AA procedure is that meal preferences are taken forward-aft on even-numbered flights and aft-forward on odd-numbered flights. The frequent flyers know this; so, if they are sitting in the front row of F/C on an odd-numbered flight, the pre-order feature gives them the opportunity to have a choice. (If it's a dinner flight, usually the pasta dish is what's left by the time you get to the last row regardless of direction.)
Or get F/As to follow the meal service procedures and abide by pre-orders and SPML requests. I get the F/As can only work with what catering loads, but AA has given you all the technology and training for pre-order service, furthermore it is indicated on the manifest/FC seating chart with pax names no reason they shouldn't be delivering the ordered meal 100% of the time.

Josh

Latest posts