Flight Attendant Jump Seats

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
A relative of mine who works for LUV said that all of their employees are allowed to non-rev in F/A jumpseats if no PAX seats are available. The working F/A's must brief non-F/A jumpseaters to be sure they know how to operate the exit doors. Non F/As do NOT arm the doors. In addition, jetBlue and LUV employees can even jumpseat on each others' airline as long as they are in uniform.

Why can't non-F/A's jumpseat on U and why can't U and UAL employees co-jumpseat? In this day and age when our planes are packed to the gills, wouldn't it be a nice gesture if we could fit on a few extra nonrevs?

While on the subject......Why is it a Pilot can ride jumpseat and if a First Class seat is available can ride in it for free, no matter who they work for. All this while we need to pay to sit there, if you can even get on?

There is supposed to be a list of airlines F/A can jumpseat on at U but, AFA can't find it or had never heard of it. Try calling the employee travel office. I know it's something that's agreed upon by both companies.

Hope777 said:
While on the subject......Why is it a Pilot can ride jumpseat and if a First Class seat is available can ride in it for free, no matter who they work for. All this while we need to pay to sit there, if you can even get on?
On UA it is (or perhaps was) contractual with the pilots for some time.

Dunno about US.

OH yeah just what we need. Minimum crew on each airplane- and now non rev's who want to sit on the JS ..more than likely will want to drink, eat and be in the way. Come on now...maybe i can ride the tug around the airport with the mechanics so i dont have to walk to my gate..and wait, maybe the GUARDS ( agents on int'l) will let me board the plane during the security check and just hang out, while the EVER so kind and helpful cleaners offer me a pillow and blanket. Do you get the point?? Hello, j/s's are for crew..qualifed crew..not non rev's..believe it or not f/as DO have a purpose on the airplane. SAFETY..j/s's have a harness and provide extra safety for those who are their to provide for YOUR safety as a passenger....Please show us some respect and stop with the silliness.

NAPAUS said:
OH yeah just what we need. Minimum crew on each airplane- and now non rev's who want to sit on the JS ..more than likely will want to drink, eat and be in the way. Come on now...maybe i can ride the tug around the airport with the mechanics so i dont have to walk to my gate..and wait, maybe the GUARDS ( agents on int'l) will let me board the plane during the security check and just hang out, while the EVER so kind and helpful cleaners offer me a pillow and blanket. Do you get the point?? Hello, j/s's are for crew..qualifed crew..not non rev's..believe it or not f/as DO have a purpose on the airplane. SAFETY..j/s's have a harness and provide extra safety for those who are their to provide for YOUR safety as a passenger....Please show us some respect and stop with the silliness.
NAPAUS,

Take a chill pill there. I think you are blowing this well out of proportion. It is not like we are talking someone downing Harvey Wallbangers in the galley, or on the flight deck.

Flight attendants from all 121 carriers can jumpseat at jetBlue. Below is our jumpseat policy. Hopefully other carriers will come around and make life a little easier for all of us

jetBlue jumpSeat Policy

Unlimited Jumpseats (any available cabin seat is a "jumpseat")
Business Casual or company uniform is accepted attire
Jumpseat is approved for personal travel or commuting purposes
Cabin Jumpseat Dress and Demeanor
Cabin jumpseat riders will be neatly dressed in their company uniform or business casual attire. They shall display their company ID card on their person while occupying any cabin jumpseat. The cabin jumpseat rider will be well groomed and will behave in a professional manner.

Cabin Jumpseat Personal Travel
The use of the cabin jumpseat for personal travel is a privilege granted by JetBlue. The cabin jumpseat may be used, on a space available basis, by personnel as specified in this section.

Cabin Jumpseat Priority
Cabin jumpseat authorization will be issued within the following priority classifications according to the individual’s check-in time:

U.S. Secret Service Agent
JetBlue Must Ride
JetBlue Flight Attendants
JetBlue Pilots (by seniority)
Other JetBlue crewmembers
F/As and Pilots from other US. Certificated Part 121 Air Carriers
Pilots from (Air Canada)

Cockpit Jumpseat Priority
U.S. Secret Service Agent
FAA Aviation Safety inspector
NTSB Investigator
JetBlue Must Ride (Flight Deck Authorized)
JetBlue Pilots (by seniority)
Other JetBlue certificated airmen
Other persons specifically authorized:
(JetBlue Flight Attendant Familiarization per FOTM)
(Airbus Training Center Instructors)

JetBlue has chosen not to limit the number of jumpseat riders on any given flight to the number of jumpseats available, but rather will try to accommodate riders in available passenger seat."

Note:
"The use of the cabin jumpseat is not to be confused with non-revenue space available travel. Non-Rev pass riders are those who have listed in the JetBlue reservation system and are entitled to a cabin passenger seat in accordance with the Non-Rev pass travel policy. Non-Rev pass riders, listed in the reservations system, have boarding priority for cabin passenger seats ahead of the jumpseat riders who have signed up for the jumpseat at the gate.

Regards
Bluetoad :up:

NAPAUS,

I think it would go without saying that jumpseat pass riders would not be allowed to drink. I too think you are blowing this out of proportion. It would give an opportunity for your fellow employees to get on flights which are oversold. Dress policies obviously would apply, as would displaying company ID and maintaining a professional demeanor. Also, it's not like we'd have every jumpseat occupied on every flight. If there is a PAX seat available, the would be filled first and jumpseats would serve only as overflow.

JetBlue seems to have a very generous cabin jumpseat policy.

The primary reason that U's cabin jumpseat use is resrticted to US Airways F/A's is that this restriction is part of the Flight Attendant's contract with U.

NAPAUS, I'm with you on this one..... I don't see ANYCarriers Allowing F/As to Jumpseat in the Flight Deck. What a riot.... ANY employee allowed on the F/A jumpseat.... While the Qualified Furloughed F/A's are lucky to get a Seat!!!

HOPE, While I was working I often wondered why F/A's couldn't Jumpseat other Carriers....Obviously we are Qualified and know what to do. As far as Pilots in First Class...I used to invite them up there if I had a seat. Any Crew member in Uniform I would always try to Bring up if there was a Seat !!!!

Jump seats should remain for f/a's only. sorry, non-revs have no business being in a jump seat. That gives an impression that flight attendants are only there to "serve" you if anyone can sit there.

Besides, the next thing you know some 35 year gate agent bumps a f/a out of a jump seat...

It ain't gonna happen.

Colaby and Twice Baked, AMEN! Thanks for being the only logical posts on here. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. None of the majors , AA,DL,NW,AS,HP,UA allow it either. Simple reason, they are not QUALIFIED to sit on the j/s. Maybe we should remind everybody that CERTIFICATION passed in both houses - FINALY!!! Once again, no respect for the f/a group from our fellow employees...NOT AT ALL SURPRISING!

I heard an Express F/A jumpseated on a 321 out of DEN- this is not allowed either and could get the entire crew in trouble. Agents and flight attendants, make sure you know who is on the jumpseat! Only ACTIVE US Airways F/As may jumpseat. Furloughees are not current and Express, even the W/O with thier similar training are not qualified on slide equpped doors. Pilots, or Cabin crew from other airlines are not permitted as jumpseaters either. Yes, JetBlue has a liberal jumpseat policy but U, nor any of the majors do. A jumpseat agreement and better travel program between UA and US in my opinion would boost morale and diminish animosity between the partner airlines crews, but for now, dont get yourself in trouble!

Twicebaked said:
Jump seats should remain for f/a's only. sorry, non-revs have no business being in a jump seat. That gives an impression that flight attendants are only there to "serve" you if anyone can sit there.

Besides, the next thing you know some 35 year gate agent bumps a f/a out of a jump seat...

It ain't gonna happen.
And how would this be different than a non rev flight attendant not in uniform being able to sit there now? The customers arent going to know that this is a flight attendant necessarily. Same would go for any other nonrev.
If the flight attendant signed up for the jumpseat she would have it over the 35 year guy since she was entitled to it first. The crux of the issue is if its the ONLY seat left on the plane and there are no FA jumpseaters, you're letting a seat go out empty that a fellow employee could be on.

Had a Southeast Airlines Flight Attendant try to get on a jumpseat the other night. It seems that on Southeasts employee website they have a list of airlines they can jumpseat on, only problem it is the cockpit jumpseat list, but it didnt state that. She was a new hire and was so excited about us finally having an agreement to be able to jumpseat on us. We sold her a buddy pass and she was on her way, but she was sure we had a reciprocal agreement and she could ride jumpseat (if there were open seats on the plane like other airline cockpit jumpseats.)

With all the stuff currently going on, why would you want to restrict use of seats. F/A's are trained professionals and as such should get the respect of the traveling public, having an OAL airline F/A or employee will not make a difference. As a matter of fact, they could be a asset in case of a safety related incidence.

Secondly, it is rather nice getting to meet other OAL employees, lots of good information and it keeps us in perspective, by realizing all us minions are just pawns in a game of chess.

Back