Flight Attendant Jump Seats

tadjr said:
And how would this be different than a non rev flight attendant not in uniform being able to sit there now? The customers arent going to know that this is a flight attendant necessarily. Same would go for any other nonrev.
If the flight attendant signed up for the jumpseat she would have it over the 35 year guy since she was entitled to it first. The crux of the issue is if its the ONLY seat left on the plane and there are no FA jumpseaters, you're letting a seat go out empty that a fellow employee could be on.

Had a Southeast Airlines Flight Attendant try to get on a jumpseat the other night. It seems that on Southeasts employee website they have a list of airlines they can jumpseat on, only problem it is the cockpit jumpseat list, but it didnt state that. She was a new hire and was so excited about us finally having an agreement to be able to jumpseat on us. We sold her a buddy pass and she was on her way, but she was sure we had a reciprocal agreement and she could ride jumpseat (if there were open seats on the plane like other airline cockpit jumpseats.)
Huge Difference!!! The non-rev flight attendant is TRAINED and soon to be CERTIFIED to sit on that jump seat.
Although, it does matter what the passenger thinks it shouldn't matter.
As long as I can help assist and/or get their butts off of that plane that is all that should matter at that point.

It SHOULD go out empty if there are no flight attendants using it rev or working.

The next thing you will be saying that any employee should be permitted to use an empty j/s in the flight deck.

Please don't talk down to the flight attendants with these thoughts.

Diesel8 said:
As a matter of fact, they could be a asset in case of a safety related incidence.

Secondly, it is rather nice getting to meet other OAL employees, lots of good information and it keeps us in perspective, by realizing all us minions are just pawns in a game of chess.
Excuse me?????????????

First....How are you trained to assist me or any other flight attendant in ANY incident/accident?

Second.......A JUMP SEAT IS NOT YOUR FRIGGIN BREAKROOM TO MEET AND DISCUSS "MINIONS" AND WHATEVER ELSE. FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ARE WORKING PROFESSIONALS AND DON'T NEED SOME WANNABE DISTRACTING THEM.

Get real!!!!!!!!!

I can't even believe that I am having this STUPID conversation with you or anyone on this issue.

Where is Pitbull when you need them?

Flight attendants from other airlines would be a distraction too.
"We don't do this...we sit like this...this is how we...blah blah"

Well, I'm a furloughed flight attendant, but instead of driving my car to the grocery store I'd like to drive a fire engine so I can put the sirens on and get there quick. I'm not a doctor, but I'd like to prescribe medicine to my granny to save her the trouble of an office visit. I'm not a mechanic but I need to get to Philly, give me the manual and a screwdriver and I'll take care of it. <_<

The aircraft is on fire and you cant see your hand in front of your face in the darkness, noise, and confusion. You're being trampled on by panicked passengers. You really wish you'd waited until after the safety demo to open the USA Today-- where was that exit? You finally make out a dim exit sign and head towards it, only to slam into Joe Shcmoe sitting on the jumpseat, blocking the way. As they fumble in the smoke filled darkness to figure out how to not only open the door but also deploy the slide, you feel the crush of a hundred bodies against you as you struggle to breathe. You can hear a flight attendant shouting commands behind you. You sense that at the door across from you is open and people are evacuating through it... but you are stuck in place by the weight of other people, as is the person who wasnt qualified to sit in that jumpseat.

Dramatic? Yes, but why on earth would you want someone there that doesnt know what they are doing? :shock:

With the long duty days we now enjoy.....I can't imagine having to make conversation on the jumpseat too :shock: No way!!! For the 20 minutes of taxi, take off and landing, I really need the quiet time.

Think about it..ahhhhh..... "Soooo, do you know Joe Soandso who works as an agent in Milwaukee? You don't? He's been working for you guys for years and years. Sooooo, what's your run? Oh, you have to bid it? I have a friend at Someother Airlines, and they get a "run". Sooooo, after we land this puppy in Hong Kong, do you turn right around and go back? Sooooo, is your husband (boyfriend) a pilot? You don't live in the same city you work? Do you have to buy your own uniforms? Do you room together on your layovers? Do you pay for the hotel? Does the company buy your dinners? Do you have a "guy in every port"? Was it hard learning how to do the demo? (I know, hard to believe but someone actually asked me this once!! :blink: )

OK, all kidding aside......the main reason I NEVER want to see a non flight attendant in the jumpseat is: The day they start that will be the day the airlines think: "Why don't we sell the extra jumpseat as a passenger seat!" Imagine that!

PineyBob said:
Geez Twice

A bit testy on this one aren't we. Sounds like maybe you don't want other workers seeing the sweetheart deal you guys have LOL

Seriously why so defensive?
Piney,

I think it is stupid that is why..lol

Seriously, flight attendants aren't on a joy ride.

We need to take their job seriously.

I will repeat, by letting anyone sit there we are talking down to the profession.

You are right I am very touchy on this one.

Thinks have changed out there. Especially at U...thinks aren't cushy anymore.

Have you not read those "new reserve" posts? <_<

".......A JUMP SEAT IS NOT YOUR FRIGGIN BREAKROOM TO MEET AND DISCUSS "MINIONS" AND WHATEVER ELSE. FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ARE WORKING PROFESSIONALS AND DON'T NEED SOME WANNABE DISTRACTING THEM."

You are right, F/A's never have discussions back there, just like the pilots never have discussions on the flightdeck. I do not think some "wannabe" will be sitting here, distracting you. Should something like 9/11 happen again, I would prefer to have another trusted person there.

You know, its funny. I have had hundreds of jumpseat riders in the cockpit and have been the jumpseater equally as many times. It was never a problem. Heck, I have even jumpseated on the additional F/A seat plenty a times. That was not a problem either.

But, if you do not want it, then I guess that is your choice, just make sure you say as much, when I am the last plane out of town that evening, the J/S is the only seat left and you are trying to go home.

NAPAUS said:
OH yeah just what we need. Minimum crew on each airplane- and now non rev's who want to sit on the JS ..more than likely will want to drink, eat and be in the way. Come on now...maybe i can ride the tug around the airport with the mechanics so i dont have to walk to my gate..and wait, maybe the GUARDS ( agents on int'l) will let me board the plane during the security check and just hang out, while the EVER so kind and helpful cleaners offer me a pillow and blanket. Do you get the point?? Hello, j/s's are for crew..qualifed crew..not non rev's..believe it or not f/as DO have a purpose on the airplane. SAFETY..j/s's have a harness and provide extra safety for those who are their to provide for YOUR safety as a passenger....Please show us some respect and stop with the silliness.

Actually, on WN the employees help out the FA passing out peanuts. This allows FA's time for full drink service and come around for seconds on a 50 minute flight. The jump seat employee many times helps the FA clean the plane between 30 minute turnarounds

I'm not even going to get started debating this thread, but I would like to add my THANKS to any crewmember who TAKES a jumpseat on a full flight instead of sitting in the cabin. I know its a pain to have to help if in uniform, but it is a nice gesture to your fellow employees (or your mom or dad) to take this seat that only you can sit in it so someone else can get on.
I know of a couple of commuters from my city who refuse to take it when there are seats available and we've left people behind because of that. I just hope what goes around comes around some day to their parents left behind.

I understand your issue tadjr, but please keep in mind that many times the flight attendants who refuse to take the jumpseat are coming off of 14 and 15 hour duty days (or about to go on one) and they are exhausted. I (and most f/a's I know) will go out of our way to help a fellow SA except on these particular days when we can barely keep our eyes open. (no sleeping is permitted on the jumpseat) I can't afford to lose my job because I fell asleep commuting home. I've turned down the jumpseat and stayed at the airport before instead of risking it. So please be understanding when we refuse, usually there is a very good explanation for our desire to sit in a passenger seat.

I have no problem with that, and I understand if you're going to be flying later today overseas you might want to rest, but I can assure you this isnt always the case. We're pretty lucky in TPA that most of the commuting crews work with us as much as possible, but there are that couple that make it bad for the rest. Luckily, we've figured out who they are and it hopefully doesnt show to the rest that are helpful. The one in particular I can think of even went so far as to take the jumpseat away from another crew member who had to get to work that day until she found out there was a seat available and then changed her mind and wanted to sit in the seat and make the other girl she took the jumpseat from sit in the jumpseat at departure time. She was perfectly within her right to do what she did too, but it sure looks bad, not only to those of us who see her all the time, but to the other crewmember as well. These unfortunately are the ones that stick in your mind.
I would say that we are fortunate here and that 98% of the crews arent just considered coworkers, but friends too.

ugghh tadjr....that stinks. We aren't allowed to do that here. We must tell the agent if we want to jumpseat or passride. If we say jumpseat and then a seat is available, the senior f/a can NOT change her mind at the last minute and take the seat...she gets the jumpseat. For nothing else, keeps things on a more even playing field. Like you stated, most work with each other.

FYI - If anyone sees us (crew members) sitting, waiting for flights to pass ride on, please, come up to us and ask us to take the jumpseat. We TOTALLY understand what it's like and most will do this for you. We can't tell who are the SA's in the boarding area but you can see us. Speak up and get on those flights for the holidays. Have a wonderful one all!!!

Please forgive me for barging into your forum. Just thought the discussion might benefit from how we handle the flight attendant jumpseat hear at SWA.

All of our flights operate with 3 flight attendants. Since there is an extra or 4th F/A JS we refer to it as "4th". When we approach the CSA we request to sign up for "4th". All of our gates open for passenger check in 1 hour prior to scheduled departure and that is when the jumpseat is available on a first come first serve basis. Neither seniority nor job title is a factor. CSAs, Rampers, and Res Agents have the same access as the flight attendants. We all know how the system works and there are rarely "I was here first!" type of arguments. Being a commuter, I have been known to gate perch for hours to make sure I was first in line for the jumpseat. If it means getting to work or home it is worth it. I just get a good book and a Starbucks and settle in. The only time we can be bumped off the jumpseat is for a deadheading crewmember or an employee traveling on company business on an oversold flight or a weight restriction.

Non Flight Attendant J/S riders are few and far between. When we do have them, usually, they are eager to "help" and sometimes we have to gently remind them that we can work faster if they stay out of our way. Getting in our way on a 28 minute HOU-AUS flight can lead to bodily harm. ;) 4th riders must display ID at waist level or above at all times. They are not permitted to read, sleep, or consume alcohol. They must meet dress code standard and fit in a standard JS harness without a seatbelt extension.

The company provided a video to all of our outstations and work locations on the basic operation of the door and the do's and don'ts of sitting "4th". We also brief non F/A JS riders on how to operate the door. It is kinda like briefing an Able Bodied Assistant during a planned emergency evacuation. The fact that we operate a single A/C type makes preparing would be jumpers much easier. When we do have an F/A jumpseater on a short full flight it is like having an extra set of capable hands. They will set up and pass out snacks, ice glasses or whatever we need to help the service flow.

At any rate it is something that has been going on around here for years and is generally hassle free.

j-blu rocks when it come to letting f/a's ride for free. i fly them all the time between mco-jfk since u pulled out of the mco-lga market. thanks j-blu. maybe someday we could reciprocate. as far as the negitivity about this goes. as f/a's for major airlines, no matter who we work for, we should look out for each other.
peace,
etops :up:

Light Years said:
Well, I'm a furloughed flight attendant, but instead of driving my car to the grocery store I'd like to drive a fire engine so I can put the sirens on and get there quick. I'm not a doctor, but I'd like to prescribe medicine to my granny to save her the trouble of an office visit. I'm not a mechanic but I need to get to Philly, give me the manual and a screwdriver and I'll take care of it. <_<

The aircraft is on fire and you cant see your hand in front of your face in the darkness, noise, and confusion. You're being trampled on by panicked passengers. You really wish you'd waited until after the safety demo to open the USA Today-- where was that exit? You finally make out a dim exit sign and head towards it, only to slam into Joe Shcmoe sitting on the jumpseat, blocking the way. As they fumble in the smoke filled darkness to figure out how to not only open the door but also deploy the slide, you feel the crush of a hundred bodies against you as you struggle to breathe. You can hear a flight attendant shouting commands behind you. You sense that at the door across from you is open and people are evacuating through it... but you are stuck in place by the weight of other people, as is the person who wasnt qualified to sit in that jumpseat.

Dramatic? Yes, but why on earth would you want someone there that doesnt know what they are doing? :shock:
I can assure you as a Mechanic I know the very inner workings of all the emergency equipment. I installed it, I inspected it, I rebuilt it, and I have repaired it on a daily basis. Plus I am strong enough to use it if something gets jammed and needs extra force to open it. I do believe a Licensed Mechanic would be fine in the seat. I am curious as who you would suggest sit next to the over wing exit door?

Back