FOCUS Meeting in PHX on 7/16/08

We are changing our business model for the long term to keep prices low enough to attract leisure travelers, but have the amenities passengers can buy if they want to.

Were those words actually said? If so, I have a newsflash. The leisure market will dry up before the business market will dry up. If there are no discretionary dollars in people's budgets they won't be going anywhere, except perhaps to a funeral or a wedding.

It seems like Tempe has made a fundamental error in judgment regarding where the market will be going forward.

..... Our choice is to change our model or go out of business......

Would the last one out please turn out the lights....we are in the mist of an energy crisis and the rest of us would appreciate it.

I give US 18 months tops to shut the doors. It's over. Just waiting now to see some one write the final chapter and to see how much Dougweiser and Scotch manage to carry out the back door.

Yo....Brain Trust....

DL just reported a $137 million operating profit. As my favorite lavman says "don't let the facts get in your way"

Atlanta C&J

I'm sorry, I thought I saw a loss. My bad. BTW, L4P, do you actually have a life? Seriously, if I EVER leave this place, I could care less WHAT happens to US Airways. The last place I will be is on an airline forum, mus tless one about this hell hole! Why do you obsess with the constant dribble and bashing? Do you have nothing else better to do? Your arrogant "Yo...Brian Trust " over a simple error is RUDE and UNCALLED for! Time to move on or get some therapy!! Please enlighten me. Somehow I doubt you can do that without some hateful, bitter response.

It seems like Tempe has made a fundamental error in judgment regarding where the market will be going forward.

Not only that but it is kind of sad that an airline with strong operations in places like LGA, DCA, BOS (and all along the east coast) would be in such a bad predicament.

The "choice seating" program will prove itself to be a major headache and even more work for the already weary Corporate Relations department. A big problem that is obvious is what happens when a passenger purchases a choice seat, the fligh gets canceled, and they can only be rebooked on the next flight in the middle seat on the last row. They are gonna raise hell (as well they should) and demand their money back. Then the agent is gonna have to call a supervisor over to explain to the disgruntled passenger that they will need to contact Corporate Realtions to ge their money back, Oh by the way. you can only call Monday thru Friday 9-5 PHX time, fax your request, or mail it in.

Another rebook problem will be with the POC group. The rebooking system does not recognize "choice seating" and will rebook the pax where ever it wants. Again, another long line at US Airways special services desk full of dissatisified customers.

Don't do it Tempe, it ain't gonna work! BAD IDEA!!!!

With regard to the original post, thank you for all the good information. I find it very interesting that NOW they realize they are ticking off FF's--the question is what if anything will they do about it?? I wonder if they finally realize Elites are leaving.......because they ARE...

I got a call from a friend of mine who flew US yesterday, and heard some interesting information from the FA. It seems that according to this FA, as of August 1, if there is any turbulence, they are to collect all beverages from customers finished or not. Now this doesn't sound right, even for US Airways, so I thought I would throw it out there for comment. If true, it's just another thing that has the potential to start trouble on board......

Instead of nickel and diming the passengers, why don't they work on lowering other costs. I believe oil will settle down or retreat come Labor Day, so what will be their excuse then? Even if it doesn't not one other carrier is repeating this stupidity.

On a lighter note, I had to look twice when I read the title of this thread--I didn't think FFOCUS would have a meeting without letting me know :)

My BEST to you all....

Another rebook problem will be with the POC group. The rebooking system does not recognize "choice seating" and will rebook the pax where ever it wants. Again, another long line at US Airways special services desk full of dissatisified customers.

Don't do it Tempe, it ain't gonna work! BAD IDEA!!!!

How about periodic schedule changes and other things that routinely happen also? You are right, this is going to be a nightmare for agents.

I believe he meant the entire fleet, not specific tail numbers.

Seems like they could just replace the entire (11) B767 Fleet and wind up the the same whopping 20 Widebody TransAtlantic fleet, but with more fuel efficient aircraft.

After 80,000 hours or so on each B767, perhaps the maintenance costs are making elimination of that fleet more attractive to management as well.

You may be a NYCBusdriver again soon, one way or the other!

Well, that may very well be that he meant replacing the entire fleet of 767's. That's been in the fleet plan for well over a year, so that's not "news," per se. (We only have 10 767's, BTW. One was destroyed on the ground in PHL several years ago when an engine blew itself up right through the wing spar during a maintenance test run.)

The A330 fleet is definitely more fuel efficient in terms of fuel/seat. But it does take more fuel to send a 330 across the pond than a 767. So, unless they can consistently fill the A330 seats in excess of what the 767 holds, they may actually make out worse. (That scenario is, admittedly, unlikely.) It's a shame that the company will not have a mid-sized wide-body fleet for transoceanic. 757s and A330s...underkill or overkill...never a happy medium.

And, if the east ever gets equal pay for equal work, I will happily be an NYCBusdriver again soon.

Ooops. I forgot about the one that was totalled in that uncontained engine damage incident a few years back.

I think AA lost a B767 at LAX similarly a year or so ago.

Equal pay for equal work would be nice. Have you heard anything about how negotiations progressed last week? Or did the company leave the table when the USAPA ad appeared in USA today.

Ooops. I forgot about the one that was totalled in that uncontained engine damage incident a few years back.

I think AA lost a B767 at LAX similarly a year or so ago.

Equal pay for equal work would be nice. Have you heard anything about how negotiations progressed last week? Or did the company leave the table when the USAPA ad appeared in USA today.

Haven't heard.

I doubt the company will walk away from the table. They need to get this merger completed or they'll never be able to sell this pig, and the biggest obstacle toward that end is the lack of a pilot joint contract. Not that this will make labor peace, but having a joint contact in place is certainly a nice shade of lipstick on the pig.

How about periodic schedule changes and other things that routinely happen also? You are right, this is going to be a nightmare for agents.

The "Choice Seats" can only be purchased (currently) online within 24 hours of flight time so a schedule change shouldnt affect these seats. A day of departure aircraft change most certainly would as would doing this or charging for prereserved seats more than the 24 hours currently available.

Thanks for the response Tad. However, that makes even less sense. Folks have been more or less trained to get a seat assignment when the book a flight, in part to avoid the HK list when the oversell occurs. Now you are going to have seat map BINGO going on in the 24 hours before flight. That is just as bad IMO