Friendlier Blue Skies?

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
This is a lesson AA still has yet to learn. Treat your employees with respect and in the end they will be happy, Management will be happy, and the company will succeed. I still believe what goes around comes around, and right now it's just a matter of time before AA starts closing their doors. When will they wakeup?

JetBlue''s Friendly Skies

By Whitney Tilson
August 8, 2003

And what did American Airlines (NYSE: AMR) do in April? At a time when the airline was hemorrhaging cash, CEO Don Carty called for shared sacrifices to avoid bankruptcy. Yet only days after the unions narrowly voted to accept $1.62 billion in annual concessions, they discovered that management had just paid itself large executive retention bonuses and pension protections. This unbelievable burst of insanity cost Carty his job and speaks to the let''s-look-out-for-ourselves-and-to-hell-with-the-employees attitude that pervades the industry.
A good company
On a cross-country flight earlier this year, I had a long talk with a JetBlue flight attendant who used to work for United. She told me that while her base pay is lower, she makes it up by working overtime and participating in the stock purchase plan. She likes working for JetBlue because the company treats her well, she is already quite senior (meaning that she has her pick of routes), and her fellow flight attendants work as hard as she does.
By contrast, at United, she said relations with management were terrible, and she was often frustrated by burnt-out, unmotivated colleagues who -- knowing that their union would protect them -- were rude to passengers or simply sat at the back of the plane during the bulk of the flight. I also interviewed a JetBlue telephone reservations agent when I booked a flight a few weeks ago. She had been with JetBlue for a year and said I enjoy working for them very much. The people are very nice. It''s a good company with good benefits.
Cultural differences
When it comes to building and nurturing a strong corporate culture, there is no magic bullet -- rather, it depends on doing dozens of little things right every day. Here are the keys to JetBlue''s success:
Culture begins with a set of values. Early on in the planning process, 20 members of JetBlue management met for two days and settled on five core values: safety, caring, integrity, fun, and passion. Today, JetBlue''s web site notes, These five values not only differentiate JetBlue''s product; they result in a superior customer and crew member experience.

Leadership at the top is critical, and JetBlue''s CEO David Neeleman is a master motivator. He takes every opportunity to acknowledge and thank his employees, reinforcing his words in the latest annual report: At JetBlue, we operate under the belief that great People drive solid operating Performance which yields continued Prosperity. Our People are the foundation on which our success is built. Another time, he noted, We didn''t build our company on the backs of our people, and we never will. We will always put our people first, before our customers and our shareholders.

The rest of JetBlue management is on the same page. For example, President Dave Barger, who worked for Continental (NYSE: CAL) and New York Air and whose father was a United pilot, notes, In this business you look at the landscape of shrapnel that''s out there between labor and management, and if you can''t learn from that, you''re brain dead.

Neeleman and Barger attend most new employee orientation sessions, fly the airline frequently, help load baggage, take tickets, and so forth. Sure, much of this is public relations, but image matters.

JetBlue hires very carefully. With so many major carriers laying off tens of thousands of employees, JetBlue has the luxury of being extremely selective.
JetBlue is no doubt benefiting from the excitement and esprit de corps associated with a new, rapidly growing company. It will be a tremendous challenge to maintain this strong culture as JetBlue ages. Still, management provides the right incentives: JetBlue contributes 15% of its pre-tax income to a profit-sharing plan, which last year translated into a 15.5% bonus for all employees. In addition, there''s a generous stock purchase plan, with nearly 70% participation overall, plus new pilots get 6,000 stock options.
Bringing it on home
Thinking about corporate culture might sound touchy feely, but I would argue that few factors are more important to a company''s -- and its stock''s -- success. This is especially true in the airline industry, where a long-time pilot assures me, network airlines like United and American have lost sight of the people behind the numbers. In a service industry, motivated employees can help generate a profit, while unmotivated employees can contribute to a loss.
In need of impassioned leadership to overcome an epidemic of low employee morale, too many major airlines focus on self-preservation rather than solid corporate vision. So long as they continue to do so, with each cultural misstep, Southwest, JetBlue, and others will gain market share, one dissatisfied customer at a time.
Whitney Tilson is a longtime guest columnist for The Motley Fool. He did not own shares of the companies mentioned in this article at press time, though positions may change at any time. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any security. Mr. Tilson appreciates your feedback at [email protected]. The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

I could never imagine in my lifetime AA subscribing to this kind of thinking.....its sad but true...it looks like The Sharks vs.The Jets mentality is ingrained here forever---short of a miracle....

AA is often called arrogant airlines. In some ways I find it strange because with one exception I have been very well treated by their employees. On the other hand creating pension guarantees, giving bonuses and a a few other miscues by the upper management smacks of arrogance. While your airline approaches bankruptcy, you create the pension guarantees and give the bonuses all the while knowing that you need concessions from your employees and that many will be laid off. And then you lie about it so you can get the concessions you need knowing full well that if the employees knew about the management perks you would not get the concessions you need. It is arrogant, but beyond arrogant most management consultants would probably call it outright stupid. In order to create such a situation there has to be some sort of denial on the part of managers on the effects of these perks on line workers. Denial of reality of this sort does not bode well for the future of AA. On the other hand a lot of top managers left AA. Whether the group that left was part of the denial process or were the more honest ones remains to be seen. As another poster has noted, it has been very quiet in terms of communication from upper management. Are they really planning the resurgence of AA or do they have their heads in the sand Pollyanna like?

Latest posts