Blue Man Group Leads The New Usairways

Upon a change in control defined as the sale of all or substantially all of the assets or common stock of the Company or US Airways Group in a single transaction (or in multi-step related transactions) to a single purchaser (or a group of purchasers acting in concert),

That language right there means the pay concessions will still be in effect. It stinks for y'all, but it's not going to happen. (Believe you me, for the sake of my OWN pocketbook I wish it would, as IBT would have more of a leg to stand on for our own negotiations!)

As for the Blue Man Group thing...Cheesy yes, but MUCH better than watching them as the Villiage People last year! :huh: We're all allowed to bust out and have fun a couple times a year, Halloween happens to be one of those days. Just let loose and enjoy it. B)

You are being presumptuous by assuming what and what not has happened in my life. Anyways, time to move on. Wipe your tears, blow your nose and pull up your pants.

Here's a song my father used to sing to me when things weren't going "my way":

Oh...oh... agony on me
deep dark depression excessive misery
if it weren't for bad luck i'd have no luck at all
oh...oh... agony on me

I hated that song.
I blow my nose and pull up my pants every day and my father taught me that I put them on just like everybody else.

Upon a change in control defined as the sale of all or substantially all of the assets or common stock of the Company or US Airways Group in a single transaction (or in multi-step related transactions) to a single purchaser (or a group of purchasers acting in concert),

That language right there means the pay concessions will still be in effect. It stinks for y'all, but it's not going to happen. (Believe you me, for the sake of my OWN pocketbook I wish it would, as IBT would have more of a leg to stand on for our own negotiations!)
Could you please explain why. You have no contract HP/agents first one and IBT/CWA agents are represented by the AIRLINE CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION CWA+IBT=CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION
(Washington, D.C.) – In votes tallied today, America West customer service representatives (CSRs) overwhelmingly approved the establishment of the Airline Customer Service Employee Association, a joint alliance between the Teamsters and the Communication Workers of America (CWA).

The alliance, approved by a 1,321 to 175 tally of Teamster members from America West, will represent more than 9,000 CSRs at the merged US Airways and America West.

“This is fantastic news,†said Dan Vogelgesang, an America West reservations worker based in Phoenix. “There is power in numbers, and our alliance with the CWA members at US Airways will have the power of over 9,000 members behind it.â€

“By joining forces with the union representing CSRs at US Airways, we’re ensuring that they will receive strong representation in the newly merged airline,†said Teamsters General President James P. Hoffa. “This historic alliance brings to bear the combined power of our two unions.â€

The Teamsters Union represents 3,500 CSRs at America West and the CWA represents 6,000 passenger agents at US Airways. The employees work as reservations, ticket and gate agents, and also staff hospitality clubs at airports and assist handicapped passengers.

The pact calls for General President Hoffa and CWA President Larry Cohen to alternate in heading up the association, with Cohen initially serving as director for the first year and Hoffa as vice director.

The CWA and the Teamsters will each designate an equal number of representatives from their local unions to form a US Airways Representation Committee to meet at least four times a year on workplace issues and policies of the association. All policy questions must be jointly approved.

The future goal of the association is to improve salaries and conditions for America West and US Airways employees. In day-to-day representation, CWA will continue to represent workers in the eastern, largely US Airways locations, and the Teamsters will represent those in the western states where America West mainly operates.

“This joint effort will result in strong representation for all workers at the newly merged airline,†Hoffa said. “As the industry endures continued economic uncertainty, this agreement will ensure that these workers are united in their fight for fair treatment and job security."

Good Lord please don't make me explain this! Seriously, I understand what is said to me but I cannot retell it in a coherent manner. lol.
As I understand it, until we have one operating cert, we will continue to operate as AWA, meaning we won't have anything until we negotiate our own contract. THEN, once the operating certs are done, we'd supposedly renog. a contract for both West and East. (This is best I can explain it...it came from one of my shop stewards...)

I've read that, and you may be covered under that contract, but I can tell you, we're not. It sucks, but we're not. (OK- we're not until a bunch of lawyers get together and fight it out...)

Oh yeah, I may be able to not sound like a driveling idiot if the IBT would communicate ANYTHING other than this alliance we all voted on. (It chaps my HIDE that they've pretty much hidden from us! Tell us something, even that the negotiations haven't gotten anywhere, it'd be a start. They don't even update our webpage!)

So name me something specific that I can look at that tell me I am, right now, covered under your contract. (I've read this, granted a couple hours ago with my tired eyes, but saw no mention of it in there...)

So name me something specific that I can look at that tell me I am, right now, covered under your contract. (I've read this, granted a couple hours ago with my tired eyes, but saw no mention of it in there...)

its my understanding you are right kristy, we are not covered under their contract. if we were, the company would be bringing our base salary in line with theirs...

i am very secptical about something you said tho. i highly doubt that IBT will do anything with a contract now that we are 'merged' and im quite sure the focus will be on a unified contract...so we'll be sitting out in the cold untill they are ready for us../sigh

I've read that, and you may be covered under that contract, but I can tell you, we're not. It sucks, but we're not. (OK- we're not until a bunch of lawyers get together and fight it out...)

Oh yeah, I may be able to not sound like a driveling idiot if the IBT would communicate ANYTHING other than this alliance we all voted on. (It chaps my HIDE that they've pretty much hidden from us! Tell us something, even that the negotiations haven't gotten anywhere, it'd be a start. They don't even update our webpage!)
http://www.flyteamsters.org/AWASection6Notice.09_01_04.pdf
The election was back in September 2004, another struggle begins:
Contract negotiations. Stonewalling Stalls Contract Negotiations will management bargain in good faith? Will they frequently arrived late for bargaining sessions and leave early. When at the table, will their proposals lacked seriousness. Will CWA/IBT have to requested federal mediation? Will the company looking for a way to break our spirit? Will CWA/IBT agents and reps have to vote to authorize a strike or other lawful job action in the event that management Stonewalls negotiation? CWA agents/east has seen all of this. Help me out here barbeetantrums

http://www.flyteamsters.org/AWASection6Notice.09_01_04.pdf
The election was back in September 2004, another struggle begins:
Contract negotiations. Stonewalling Stalls Contract Negotiations will management bargain in good faith? Will they frequently arrived late for bargaining sessions and leave early. When at the table, will their proposals lacked seriousness. Will CWA/IBT have to requested federal mediation? Will the company looking for a way to break our spirit? Will CWA/IBT agents and reps have to vote to authorize a strike or other lawful job action in the event that management Stonewalls negotiation? CWA agents/east has seen all of this. Help be out here barbeetantrums

i guess i missed the point of that link. that item was sent back in sep2004 before merger ever even crept its ugly head out the door....what does that have to do with the topic of HP employees being covered under US contract?

i guess i missed the point of that link. that item was sent back in sep2004 before merger ever even crept its ugly head out the door....what does that have to do with the topic of HP employees being covered under US contract?
It has to be negotiated and agree to by management and CWA/IBT CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION. Due you think management is just going to give US/west US/east contract just like that. Filling of vacancies transfers - furlough – recall Hours of service -seniority are major contract issues. Some times it may take a “poopy attitude.â€￾

It has to be negotiated and agree to by management and CWA/IBT CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION. Due you think management is just going to give US/west US/east contract just like that. Filling of vacancies transfers - furlough – recall Hours of service -seniority are major contract issues. Some times it may take a “poopy attitude.â€￾

oh, not at all...but i also do not have unrealistic expectations. i had expected (pre merger announcement) that a contract would, at best, be 2yrs down the road after the vote...now that time frame has just grown with the merger... /sigh

You're most likely correct in your assessment. BUT legaly, technicaly I'm pretty certain that when the structured the merger some very clever & crafty Lawyers have made the whole thing clear as mud and your chances of success are limited IMO.

My advice to CWA is to use the money budgeted for legal fees around the grievence to fund a public awareness program. Informational pickets, some full page Ads in select cities, in addition to using the media to point out the HUGE disparity in quality of the phone center work performed in Manilla and elsewhere versus the work done here in the US. It's to easy to get out lawyered, but the court of public opinion is a much harsher judge if you can successfully paint Management in a negative light.

The answer IMO is to get the jobs back from offshore NOW. Negotiate a fair & resonable contract that balances the pay scales, Provides Work from Home options, Performance bonuses AND a clause that automaticaly triggers a buyout offer to TOS scale workers when the percentage of TOS workers of the total workforce reachs a predetermined threshold.

The "issue/problem" US faced as it was explained to me was not that the hourly rates were all that high but that the percentage at the TOS was way way to high. SWA is starting to feel this pinch. It's a huge reason they are expanding as fast as they can, more entry level workers helps balance out and lower average wage costs.
The company already realizes they have big problems it backfired on them. The public is starting to become very aware. The media has pickup on it. The company knows they need to change things it’s just a matter of time. This issue is starting to turn in favor of the CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION

The answer IMO is to get the jobs back from offshore NOW. Negotiate a fair & resonable contract that balances the pay scales, Provides Work from Home options, Performance bonuses AND a clause that automaticaly triggers a buyout offer to TOS scale workers when the percentage of TOS workers of the total workforce reachs a predetermined thresho
Great suggestions now we just need to get the company to agree its all been asked before.

Latest posts