Frontier to buy Spirit: New Representation elections

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
For ramp, TWU represents Frontier. IAM represents Spirit. Frontier contracted out all rampers after TWU won election. Spirit contracted out all rampers after the IAM cut a deal to only recognize FLL.
Teamsters represent Frontier MX. Spirit MX unrepresented. I think most IBT mechancis were contracted out at Frontier, dunno. Stores, the same. But mor info needed.

regards,

Tim, this will be the ONLY time the teamsters might win a combo of the MX mechanics for representation, and that is solely based on the fact that the Spirit boys and girls are not represented at all, at least for now.
Hey Spirit mechanics; you should have brought AMFA in when you had the chance. Remember when I told you guys to go AMFA before any mergers happen and you guys get left out. Now you guys will get forced into the teamster representation and all the crooked shite that comes with them. You should have listened to me.
There is time to rush thru and get a representational organization to represent you guys, otherwise the teamsters will screw all you guys over thru and after the merger, good luck. Would've, could've, should've...

BTW: I also feel JetBlue messed up not going after Spirit when they had plenty of opportunity, and now JB will be left out all alone yet again,

Tim, this will be the ONLY time the teamsters might win a combo of the MX mechanics for representation, and that is solely based on the fact that the Spirit boys and girls are not represented at all, at least for now.
Hey Spirit mechanics; you should have brought AMFA in when you had the chance. Remember when I told you guys to go AMFA before any mergers happen and you guys get left out. Now you guys will get forced into the teamster representation and all the crooked shite that comes with them. You should have listened to me.
There is time to rush thru and get a representational organization to represent you guys, otherwise the teamsters will screw all you guys over thru and after the merger, good luck. Would've, could've, should've...

BTW: I also feel JetBlue messed up not going after Spirit when they had plenty of opportunity, and now JB will be left out all alone yet again,

JB may have to partner with alaska.
Not sure of the numbers but my guess is that spirit may have more mechanics than frontier. There may be an election between ibt, no union, write in.

That why I said that would be the only way teamsters would win any election, one where there is no other union running against them. Spirit should have or needs to gear up a fast and furious election quick. Better to be represented than not going into merger talks.

For ramp, TWU represents Frontier. IAM represents Spirit. Frontier contracted out all rampers after TWU won election. Spirit contracted out all rampers after the IAM cut a deal to only recognize FLL.
Teamsters represent Frontier MX. Spirit MX unrepresented. I think most IBT mechancis were contracted out at Frontier, dunno. Stores, the same. But mor info needed.

regards,
For the ramp, would there even need to be an election? Are there enough ex-F9 people still holding recall rights to trigger one?

If I remember correctly, 33% of the combined workforce would need to be represented to force a new election.

TWU only represented 400 ramp workers mostly at DEN before the airline did the complete outsourcing of airports and reservations in March 2015. They never had a contract because the election wasn't settled until July 2014, so someone will need to prove to me they offered recall rights at all, and if they did, that they'd still be in effect 7 years later...

Last edited:
As indicated in this article the airlines the new merger will focus on is the 3 biggies Delta, AA and United mainly. And it does appear they are just simply becoming a larger Spirit/Frontier airline no matter the name they keep or go with. Not even really looking to save $$ more so of a grow and expansion in size move...

Rumors have them ditching the Florida HQ building and moving employees to Colorado. Not so sure any long term Floridians would want to make that move. Too use to the sunshine state and Florida weather. But who knows maybe some would look forward to some change.

What do either of the last two posts have to do with a representation election? Does every thread have to be hijacked around here?

Re-Read the title E;

Frontier to buy Spirit: New Representation elections​

A 2 part title about Frontier purchasing Spirit and with said purchase will come the New Rep. Elections for the unonized employees.

So the last 2 post have to deal with the first part of Frontier to buy Spirit.

And here is some more on the added jobs that should also come with it:

JB may have to partner with alaska.
Not sure of the numbers but my guess is that spirit may have more mechanics than frontier. There may be an election between ibt, no union, write in.
Tim, maybe JB could consider hooking up with Sun Country. Thought about this after you mentioned ALK, but I 'm assuming ALK is too big to allow, but what do I know.
The article below where AMFA is filing for representation at Sun Country for the Mechanic And Related, I was hoping this would have already happened with the Spirit Airlines Mechanic And Related. They were doing a card drive at Spirit for AMFA to represent. I heard some rumors that the Spirit Mechanics were maybe using the AMFA card drive to get a greater deal from management on pay and other bennies being discussed at the time. How ironic IF those rumors are true, because if they had the chance to get represented and now the merger talks about Spirit and Frontier WITH Frontier being purchaser of Spirit takes place and goes thru, they are gonna wish they WERE represented. Maybe they still have time to rush thru a very quickly card drive for AMFA to get represented for the merger talks.
This article below could have been the announcement for Spirit Mechanics if they were serious about a true AMFA representation. If Sun Country can get 80% in short time so can Spirit Mechanics...

Congress has no say in a merger. It's the DOJ's to object to.

Given both Bernie and Fauxahantas ran against Biden, I'm not sure how receptive he'd be to their "input"....

Congress has no say in a merger. It's the DOJ's to object to.

Given both Bernie and Fauxahantas ran against Biden, I'm not sure how receptive he'd be to their "input"....
BS. They can in fact apply pressure for the DOJ to consider or look into a more in depth investigation as it has been done in the past and requested a many certain moves by both parties in order to get their merger done.

Apply pressure like they're trying to do with Garland pursuing January 6th convictions?... That's not working, either.

Doesn't matter now.

Next.