Helicopter Engineers & Pilot Association

Blackmac

Senior
Mar 31, 2003
Would you join an association to represent your interests with the regulatory bodies and set safety and employment standards to be adhered to by the companies you are employed with. By-laws would be established, a corporate structure set up.

In the poll 2,844 people viewed this question, but I guess only 56 people thought we needed representation, AMAZING. They were actually 62 votes, 6 actually stated thier opinion in oposition.

Wether you like it or not, I have started the process of establishing a non-profit organization (the lawyer has it at present) at my cost and will be looking for representation from all segments of the industry and country.

The Helicopter Engineers and Pilots will be the only voting members. Associate Membership will be offered anybody in the aviation industry, willing to pay the price.

We will of course set up our own web site for access to members only, to carry out business and voting.

An intial three directors will be installed to get the ball rolling and then members will vote an actual board.

BE ADVISED THAT A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION CANNOT BECOME A UNION UNDER THE FEDERAL TRADE UNION ACT.

The name HELICOPTER ENGINEERS AND PILOT ASSOCIATION will be patented.

Not to sound mundane, but if I can make this a success, it will be my legacy to the helicopter industry, BETTER REPRESENTATION FOR THE PEOPLE THAT NEED IT.

I CERTAINLY HOPE YOU ARE ALL IN AGREEMENT AND SUPPORT THIS ENDEAVOUR.

CHEERS, BLACKMAC
or

Don McDougall
1044 County Rd 44
Oxford Station, ON :up: :up: :up: :up:
K0G 1T0

Tel: 613 258 0252
e-mail: [email protected]

Good onya Don for having the grapes to proceed.

Suggestion - the Helicopter Engineer and Pilot Association (HEPA) might want the include Canada in its name.

Canadian Helicopter Engineer and Pilot Association (CHEPA)

or

Helicopter Engineer and Pilot Association of Canada (HEPAC)

Just a thought.

BV

bang on, donald!!... you already have my cheque in hand... following a 14 yr hiatus from the industry, my return has confirmed that this business remains sorely in need of a collective voice actively engaged in the ongoing pursuit of professionalism within all aspects of the business... having benefitted from a strong, professional association during the course of a 20 yr policing career, i encourage one and all to sign on and add your voice to this very worthy endeavour which will undoubtedly ensure a strong future for the canadian helicopter industry. :up: :up:

cheers...

dan mulligan

ps... how about "canadian helicopter professionals' association" (CHPA)??

CTD - Why limit it to just Canada. There is actually no assocaition, anywhere in the world, and I dont include PHPA because it has close union links, that is dedicated to just pilots, engineers and crewwies.

I think something like this would be a great benefit to the worldwide industry, and having it based in Canada would just be a bonus.

Heli Ops :up:

I duuno, I can't be involved so I'm only offering suggestions.

We share very little with the industries in the US or elsewhere. Our operating environment, labour laws, some regulations and our client base (with few exceptions), is very different from anywhere else, with very unique problems and issues. I personally believe the association needs to be Canadian to be effective with the customers, regulators, and industry groups with which it must work.

Same reason there is an HAC and an HAI. We are the second largest operator of helicopters on the planet, far ahead of number three, and far behind number one.

Guys for once in your life state what you think in this forum, does CTD have a good idea, does Heli-Ops have a good idea. Say whatever, but pleaseeeeeee say something.

There are some decision to be made and in a democratic society, everybody has a chance to state thier opinion.

This association will proceed as stated, but it takes members with the gall to make it work.

This association is all about the fairness and respect that every individual deserves.

Companies will be invited to participate as associate members only.

I ALMOST FORGOT, DO I HAVE A GOOD IDEA???????

ONLY YOUR SUPPORT WILL TELL.

CTD How many helos operate there. I know that Australia has about 1100 and thought that they were up there somewhere.

Fair enough if you want it to be just Canadian based. Here is another option. You could have it as an intl association with Branch Chapters in various countries that look after issues within that country.

HAI is basically for the operator in my opinion. Its not really a pilots, engineers or crewwies association. They work with the government for the betterment of the operator and manufacturer, not really for the individual. Just some food for thought.

Heli Ops
B)

Way to go Don. Let me know where to fill out the application for membershp! And no, let's just keep it Canadian, at least for now. If we don't, well it wouldn't be long before we were out numbered by the Americans, nothing against their industry, but we are an entirely different world me thinks with out heli industry! :up: :up: :up:

:D
As one of the older and now less bold members of the industry, I am with CTD on the Canadian flavour of the association. We could have some sort of link with other crew association. I endorse the association route rather than the union route. A union will never have the clout nationally to be the barganing agent for every company or division of a company in the country.
A association implies professional standards of the membership. It is pretty tough to chuck someone out of a union.

A lot of the working conditions that the industry enjoys today came from too much blood, an awful lot of sweat and quite a few tears from a bunch of us gray beards.

Helicopters have become much more of a commodity these days than when I started in '69. Commoditization has driven down the hourly rate chargable for a machine Since 1970 inflation has gone up 350% but the price of a JetRanger has barely doubled. I use the Bell 206 only because it was around then. When last did a summer contract pilot receive a Christmas bonus and Thank you from the boss? Mine was 1976.

There was a time when pilots ( and engineers ) were part of the management team. Try being in the Arctic for four months straight and tell me with whom the client relates? Now marketing tells you to shut up and fly and we will deal with the client.

I am ago for the Canadian 'association'. B)

Yes, Yes, Yes...

I would be proud to join. :up: :up:

I also want to leave the industry something.....this will hopefully be something.

The reverend Chas W.

I'm in. Some may not think military guys should join but there is an awful lot we can learn and I feel contribute from a professional point of view. We tend to operate quite a bit in IFR and NVG which is certainly a role that will gain more and more acceptance in commercial ops.

Besides it's just plain smart for us to stay in tune with industry cuz over 70% of us will not stay in the military past our initial contracts. Knowing what makes the industry tick and who the players are can only help make the transition smoother when we join the pack of hopeful pilots lining up for jobs.

And for now, I agree let's leave it Canadian to begin anyhow. If it does expand out someday then maybe we could make it a Commonwealth association?

Way to step up to the plate Blackmac :up:

So uhhhh, can military guys join? :unsure:

I like not hearing the 'U' word. The idea intrigues me, and I want to hear more. I don't know much about what kind of clout associations wield, but I believe a little is better than none at all.

I think this would be an amazing long overdue, upward step in our helicopter industry. I tend to agree with CTD as far as keeping it "Canadian" at least for now, (something in the lines of learning to walk before running). However HeliOps, you're idea of Branch Chapters also has excellent potential.

Its no secret that I am neither a helicopter pilot or engineer. However, because I understand, related and respect this industry and have had the good fortune to be part of it for more than 20 yrs, I care tremendously about it's present state and more importantly it's future.

Having said that, I would be more than happy to be active and participate in any way I could. So Mr Don Blackmac, include me in whatever way I can.

Biggs

Latest posts