Hours of Work

The reprinted post below is full of inaccuracies. Just to set the record straight for those of you who think flight attendants make a bundle of money at AA: I am a 17 year f/a at AA and I''m topped out (that''s MAXED out) on the pay chart. If I do not fly overtime by picking up extra trips from my colleagues I make $41,000 a year. That is it. We do not make $63,000 as I have seen printed in some newspaper articles. If a f/a makes that much money he/she is working a lot of overtime in the air.
To correct the erroneous information in this post:
1) Indeed, we are away from home. We are often in London or New York or Tulsa or Raleigh. Not every trip is in a glamourous city. We have plenty of trips where we are in Houston or Oklahoma City for 30 hours at a time receiving a whopping $1.90 an hour...that''s it! That is our per diem. Our hotels historically have been nice but we also stay in many less desirable hotels on par with Holiday Inn or Best Western (nothing wrong with these hotels, but I wanted to clear up the misconception that we are living it up at the Plaza Athenee). As a cost cutting measure, the company is systematically relocating crews to cheaper airport locations to save on transportation (i.e vans) to and from the airport. The company does NOT pay for any cabs for crew members as the poster asserts. Where does he get this stuff from?
2) Pilots do receive meals on most legs. I see this as a waste and I imagine their union is retrenching this provision. I do not suggest the pilots have all meals cut. There are many times when it is simply not possible for a crew member to purchase food when on the fly. I think most pilots would agree that their crew meals could be brought more in line with the flight attendants. Flight attendants are only provided meals on duty days of 8 hours or more that have two or more legs with less than 2 hours of ground time. This provides f/as with one meal during the duty day (if it is a 14 hour duty day, we get one meal). On long haul flights, such as Paris-Miami, f/as are provided with one meal and pilots receive two. On a transcon flight from say, Miami to Seattle, fight attendants receive nothing because there is only one leg in the duty day. This is why you always see f/as lugging around their food containers with their luggage. By any analysis, this is a dead issue as this provision will undoubtedly be eliminated in the concession package that we''ll receive in the next couple of days.
3)No pilot or f/a receives a confirmed seat to commute to and from work. That is silly. These commuters must rely on regular stand-by passes to get to work and home.
4) Yes, our meal allowance is often more than $20 a day, but not much more. Have you ever tried to eat in Paris or Rome or Dallas on $20 a day when you are there for 26 hours? We often arrive at hotels late at night when no restaurants are open and we must order room service which costs an arm and a leg.
Yesterday at the gym the tvs were on in front of the stairmasters and the guy on the treadmill next to me said, "Damn unions" as a report aired about AA''s imminent bankruptcy. I guess this guy does not know about the massive cuts we are all taking on the chin. I imagine he thinks it is great that airline CEOs continue to receive huge perquisites while laying off thousands of employees. Even John McCain is voicing his disgust with these CEOs. I think it is sad that fellow union employees are turning against each other spreading false information such as this poster did; it''s bad enough the public thinks we are to blame for the airlines'' mad rush to bankrupcty court. It would behoove us all to stay united and work toward the common goal of saving this sinking company. The TWU, APA, and APFA are feverishly working to get concession packages ratified by their membership. Most of the issues I cleared up here are soon to be dead on arrival anyway once these packages are ratified and we enter bankruptcy. Why is this guy carping on things he knows nothing about?
Art Tang
MIA
his text:
I know pilots and f/as are away from home but they also get to stay in nicer hotels than MOTEL 6. The FAs also get free meals on board. If they have some turn arounnd time its not a bad way to see London or New York and AA pays for hotel and cab fare. Is there also a meal allowance? I''ll bet its more than $20 a day.
As far as getting paid for actual work on an aircraft the AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid at the rate of $150/hr.
Also AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid travel time to and from work either. I wouldn''t mind living in one city and working in another where I would also have a confirmed seat on a flight to from work.

----------------
On 3/29/2003 11:36:28 PM DFWCC wrote:

Also AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid travel time to and from work either. I wouldn''t mind living in one city and working in another where I would also have a confirmed seat on a flight to from work.

Dear DFWCC,
Before you open your mouth and make yourself look foolish you really need to check your facts. Flight crews do NOT get paid travel time to and from work. Where you got that nonsense from is beyond me. We also don''t get a confirmed seat on a flight to our base if we chose to commute. Commuters just show up and take their chances along with all of the other non-revs. Typically commuting ads another day away from home to your trip, so it''s not the panacea that you think.
The bottom line is that if you think that flight crews have such a good deal, why don''t you do what it takes to get on one. Then you can write back and tell us how green the grass really is on this side of the fence.

I do not want to open a can of worms, but flight crews do get to use the jump seats if the flight if full, where the other employees do not. It should all be equal. Everyone gets a jumpseat, or no one does....

I've been on many a flight where an F/A boarded the plane in uniform and once airborne make a visit to the lav only to emerge in her "civilian" clothes.

But, if this was common practice, it's nobady's fault.

----------------
On 3/29/2003 2:10:15 PM Buck wrote:

I understand that the UA pilots average $205000 a year and 9 days a month.

Why do pilots work so few hours?

How many hours a month do flight attendants work?

Why are we all not working 40 hours a week?

----------------​

Buck,

You believe EVERYTHING you read? Nuff said!

Cheers,
Z

First of all this was just a question.

I just wanted to know what each labor group thought about their own pay and conditions.

I know that pay and benefits are an negotiated items. The public perception of what a pilot, flight attendant, baggage handler or a mechanic sets us apart. But what is the reality of these positions? What is most important?

And no I do not believe everything I read, including some of the items posted here.

I don''t like to see the bickering about who makes what and why they do or do not deserve their respective pay rates. I am all for make as much as possible without breaking the bank.

One of the things I see is misinformation about pay. For a ground worker there is no "hidden pay". But I know you will find this in the F/A pay checks. Although I do not have fisrt hand knowledge I do believe it may be in the pilots pay checks. This hidden pay that I refer to is called per diem. This is paid for each hour that the F/A is away for their base. I know it is not much about $2.00 to $4.00 an hour.

So now lets say that you are away on a 3 day trip. You get 25.00 and hour for your actual flight time. Let say flight time is 20 hours. That comes to $500.00. Now over that 3 days they are away from home for 60 hours. Using $2.00 per diem gets you another $120.00. Now your total is $620.00.

So the only thing I ask is that you include all pay when trying to make comparisions.

I do not understand why people care what someone elses pay/lifestyle is. I chose to become an AA pilot based on the pay/lifestyle. If you chose to become a mechanic, you also knew what the pay/lifestyle was gonna be. If you want to be an AA pilot, get busy and build credentials, i''m sure we will be hiring in 10 yrs. I would like to make the money of a top corporate lawyer, but I didn''t apply myself in that direction, who knows maybe I would have failed, but I don''t compare our W2''s and say life is unfair. Every job has perks, some are better than others, but don''t look at others and ####, try to make your career better (or in current times less worse). If you think your career sucks, change it or look back on your life and figure out where you went wrong and try to teach your kids not to make the same mistakes.

I fail to see how either of these postings is germane to the thread. There are many reasons why a uniformed crew member might board a flight as a passenger and switch into civilian clothing: The crew member might be deadheading to a layover and wish to get more comfortable, or he might be commuting home, or she might have opted to wear her uniform to circumvent the long line at security and changed once on board. What is the big deal with this as long as the crew member is traveling as a passenger?!?
Furthermore, certain employees cannot ride a jumpseat as per company regulations and FAA mandate. An American Airlines flight attendant cannot ride an American Eagle jumpseat or a cockpit jumpseat just as a pilot cannot ride a cabin jumpseat or an Eagle flight attendant ride an AA jumpseat. It has nothing to do with excluding some employees from a benefit that only we have and it has nothing to do with our contracts. Even a f/a trainee cannot sit in a jumpseat because he has not yet completed the FAA required training. You people who insist on carping on crew members need to get a grip and check your facts before posting. I have yet to read a single posting from a pilot or flight attendant dogging mechanics or baggage handlers about their benefits or "perceived" sinecure.
Art Tang
text:
@@@
I've been on many a flight where an F/A boarded the plane in uniform and once airborne make a visit to the lav only to emerge in her "civilian" clothes.

But, if this was common practice, it's nobady's fault.
@@@@
I do not want to open a can of worms, but flight crews do get to use the jump seats if the flight if full, where the other employees do not. It should all be equal. Everyone gets a jumpseat, or no one does....

B.N.

I agree with what you are saying. But sometimes we have to wonder if one work group''s salaries outweigh another''s because of their ability to shut the airline down. If pilot''s don''t fly, there is no airline. Plain and simple! Have you negotiated your salaries and pensions at the expense of others?

----------------
On 3/30/2003 10:05:48 AM dogdriver wrote:

----------------
On 3/29/2003 11:36:28 PM DFWCC wrote:

Dear DFWCC,
Before you open your mouth and make yourself look foolish you really need to check your facts. Flight crews do NOT get paid travel time to and from work. Where you got that nonsense from is beyond me. We also don''t get a confirmed seat on a flight to our base if we chose to commute. Commuters just show up and take their chances along with all of the other non-revs. Typically commuting ads another day away from home to your trip, so it''s not the panacea that you think.
The bottom line is that if you think that flight crews have such a good deal, why don''t you do what it takes to get on one. Then you can write back and tell us how green the grass really is on this side of the fence.

----------------​
Dear DOGDRIVER, If you re-read the qoute "Also AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid travel time to and from work EITHER" Either meaning I understand you do not get travel time to and from work "EITHER" do we. Thank you
This is getting silly. I really don''t care what you make. We just need to be on the same team work together and respect each other.

You guys make me laugh. I suppose you all ask other professionals what they make and gripe about that. Ha! If you want to know why pilots make what they make......Go out and get your ratings and become a pilot! I am just guessing, but if it were so easy and it pays so much, everyone would be doing it. I think it is probably more than you JUDGES can handle otherwise you would be doing it. Walk a mile in their shoes. Flying 1/2 mile vis. approaches to a pitching ship, flying night bombing raids to protect the rights of such as you, flying night cargo in all kinds of weather. They face hundreds of ways to lose their jobs and lives and you guys want to whine about their pay. Would you do that to another professional? Would you want your family and 395 others on an aircraft in bad weather being piloted by a guy making 18,000 a year, just like you would want the lowest paid Doctor doing surgery on your head. You guys have no clue!

Latest posts