I Am Shocked

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
:down: WOW didn't see this coming, I was expecting a fair pass travel integration. All they did was take the US Policy give them our dress code and that was basicaly it.
1) Lets start with retirees, everyone of AWA had free travel. Now they all pay $15 each way and also have a lower boarding priority. HP loses!
2) 40 flexis vs 8 guest passes, HP employees loose big time here. I could SA1P on every flight I take and still have guest passes available now I can SA1P (VAC travel) only twice! Big loser HP!
3) Priority even though they say they are going to wait and see how many of you caught the boarding priorty dif? +20 vs less than 20? I am SA2p now (if I don't use 3 of my numerious passes to upgrade to SA1P. Even without seniorty check in I am know SA4! Big Big loser for HP!
4) Upgrade to first $20, currently I can use flexi (even expired ones) not any more now it will cost me! Big Loser HP!

What did US folks give up? And why do you guys like your way some much? It sucks!!!! I am very much a team player and lets all make this work out but we are losing a huge chunk of our benefit here!! Lets let them know!!!

UPNAWAY said:
:down: WOW didn't see this coming, I was expecting a fair pass travel integration. All they did was take the US Policy give them our dress code and that was basicaly it.
1) Lets start with retirees, everyone of AWA had free travel. Now they all pay $15 each way and also have a lower boarding priority. HP loses!
2) 40 flexis vs 8 guest passes, HP employees loose big time here. I could SA1P on every flight I take and still have guest passes available now I can SA1P (VAC travel) only twice! Big loser HP!
3) Priority even though they say they are going to wait and see how many of you caught the boarding priorty dif? +20 vs less than 20? I am SA2p now (if I don't use 3 of my numerious passes to upgrade to SA1P. Even without seniorty check in I am know SA4! Big Big loser for HP!
4) Upgrade to first $20, currently I can use flexi (even expired ones) not any more now it will cost me! Big Loser HP!

What did US folks give up? And why do you guys like your way some much? It sucks!!!! I am very much a team player and lets all make this work out but we are losing a huge chunk of our benefit here!! Lets let them know!!!
[post="304605"][/post]​
Well, even though the prirority for reitrees goes from SA2 to SA4, it's only a "one-priority" drop. SA2 is now for interviewees & emergency travel; SA3 is for active employees. I think it's fair that active employees get priority over retirees (just my opinion).

Adding a $15 service charge also makes sense, I'm just surprised they didn't institute a service charge for everybody. Extra weight uses extra fuel; and with fuel prices we need to save as much as we can. Even if an extra person increases the fuel burn by only 50 lbs--that's about 8 gallons, which at current prices is $16!

I do hate that we can't use Flexis for FC upgrades--and especially that upgrades to Europe will be $100!!!! I also don't like losing Flexis as $20 towards parent travel--but again, we have to collect money for the extra fuel costs.

rjh said:
Well, even though the prirority for reitrees goes from SA2 to SA4, it's only a "one-priority" drop. SA2 is now for interviewees & emergency travel; SA3 is for active employees. I think it's fair that active employees get priority over retirees (just my opinion).

Adding a $15 service charge also makes sense, I'm just surprised they didn't institute a service charge for everybody. Extra weight uses extra fuel; and with fuel prices we need to save as much as we can. Even if an extra person increases the fuel burn by only 50 lbs--that's about 8 gallons, which at current prices is $16!

I do hate that we can't use Flexis for FC upgrades--and especially that upgrades to Europe will be $100!!!! I also don't like losing Flexis as $20 towards parent travel--but again, we have to collect money for the extra fuel costs.
[post="304611"][/post]​
:unsure:
I just hope we can use the flexi's we may already have that haven't expired yet to "buy" a few tix for the folks and a couple of SA1 trips for the family...even if only on HP. Aren't tix good for 1 year once issued? I mean, heck, we've earned them as much as US has earned seniority, right? "Don't take away what we've earned." That's all I ask. Then change the policy!
:rolleyes:

rjh said:
Well, even though the prirority for reitrees goes from SA2 to SA4, it's only a "one-priority" drop. SA2 is now for interviewees & emergency travel; SA3 is for active employees.

Ok I did misread that one I thought it said SA4P was retires and avtive less than 20. Although on AWA emergency travel was Positive Space done by your sup or Mgr with no questions asked. This seems to be a bit more restrictive and formal?

UPNAWAY said:
rjh said:
Well, even though the prirority for reitrees goes from SA2 to SA4, it's only a "one-priority" drop. SA2 is now for interviewees & emergency travel; SA3 is for active employees.

Ok I did misread that one I thought it said SA4P was retires and avtive less than 20. Although on AWA emergency travel was Positive Space done by your sup or Mgr with no questions asked. This seems to be a bit more restrictive and formal?
[post="304636"][/post]​
Yeah, after reading it again, I can see how that might be confusing. There is no distinction for active employees based on length of service. All active employees, as well as retirees with 20+ yrs are now SA3P; retirees with <20 years are now SA4P.

I don't know about current emergency travel. My guess, though, is that if you have a good boss, they could probably put you in as positive space if they wanted (for a true emergency, of course).

Wow the shaft, I wouldnt call it that.

I am extremely excited about the new pass travel policy. Where do I begin!

Single, unmarried employees will be able to have one person added to their benefits with out having to pretty much sign your life away to a person. (ie commited partners)

My parents already pay for their benefits - now they have an expanded route network and are able to fly to Europe and Hawaii for only 40 dollars. Have you seen the price of ticket for a parent on another airline?

The guest passes - will be 100 times cheaper. I will gladly give up 32 passes for cheaper ones. It will be more worth it. Right now for someone to travel from JFK-PHX roundtrip the ticket is over $220. With the new system they will be $80 plus tax. Not bad.

If you read the boarding priorites carefully you see that it give retirees with 20+ years a higher priority.

First class upgrades were actually reduced. Currently if you are not using an expired buddy pass first class upgrades are $40 per segment.

We get to keep casual dress. We get to keep no excess baggage charges. Still have the ID20 program and each company gets to "keep" the way do their boarding pending future change.

From what I can see the worst part of the policy is for retirees it seems that if they have under 25 years of service they have to pay.

All and all - I am really happy considering what could have happened.

At HP our FC upgrade was a flexi pass or $20 ow, not $40 per segment. You could exchange a flexi for an SST if you were going to make a connection. So JFK-PHX-LAX was only $20 total. Of course you were never able to upgrade anyway. FC is nearly always full of Elites and paid upgrades.

How about at U? Are employees ever actually able to upgrade? How about Europe?

Shaft? At least those who still have jobs will get to keep flying benefits. What about those in lower management or admin who don't have parachutes and who are being thrown out on their rears after 15 or 20 years with practically no more than a "here's your hat; what's your hurry?" Some might gladly trade date-of-hire or time-of-checkin worries for government cheese or the unemployment line.

The size of the shaft is all relative, I guess.

hp-csr-phx said:
How about at U? Are employees ever actually able to upgrade? How about Europe?
[post="304882"][/post]​

Depends on where and when traveling. With only 8 seats on the 757 it usually doesnt happen. The 321 with 26 seats is nice and except during the holidays, you can usually get on from my station at least.
Envoy is sweet and its usually no problem in the off season (end of Sept thru April) on most of the flights. Just have to check them out and be a little flexible if you have to sit up there. In the last 3 years I've done about 12 crossings and havent had to sit in coach on any of them.

I have to confess my head is spinning :wacko: after reading the new pass travel policy in "Plane Deal". WOW....this is going to take some time to absorb in. One thing about it....it's quite evident a ton of thought has gone into the new policy. I think the 2 yearly vacation passes for employees (SA1) was a well thought out compromise to counter DOH priority boarding. :D

ClearedToPush Yesterday, 01:59 PM Post #7

Single, unmarried employees will be able to have one person added to their benefits with out having to pretty much sign your life away to a person. (ie commited partners)

I hate to pour cold water on your excitement, but unless the new regime changes the embargo policy, your registered companion will not be able to travel to europe without you between May-October. That's a real bummer for crew members who may want their registered companion to accompany them on a trip. Many of the european destinations are seasonal--they operate concurrently with the embargo policy--and unless the employee is with the RC, they'll never get to see some great destinations. Perhaps some spirited lobbying can change this policy.

ebwgs said:
ClearedToPush  Yesterday, 01:59 PM Post #7 

I hate to pour cold water on your excitement, but unless the new regime changes the embargo policy, your registered companion will not be able to travel to europe without you between May-October. That's a real bummer for crew members who may want their registered companion to accompany them on a trip. Many of the european destinations are seasonal--they operate concurrently with the embargo policy--and unless the employee is with the RC, they'll never get to see some great destinations.  Perhaps some spirited lobbying can change this policy.
[post="305050"][/post]​
I don't see anything in the policy about limiting dates--even if there are limits, it's still a great policy. We need to remember that our flight benefits are just that--BENEFITS.

Why dwell on the negative of what you (or in this case, your friends) don't get??? Airline employees that complain about "missing aspects" of flight benefits probably come off as really bad to non-airline employees that come to this site.

Latest posts