IAM/Fleet Service Master Thread Week Ending 11/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we are onto the next great plan huh?

Bridges are still burning. Start by rebuilding those. 13 years huh????????

700 UW, never saw you post your resume...would be quite tickled if you would share it with us again.

I have served the membership and the IAM as a shop steward with over 10 years of tenure, local lodge trustee, recording secretary, communication postions for the local and district lodges and served on the M&R Negotiating Committee, (the first time ever that someone in my classification was chosen to be on the committee. The IAM was organized in 1949 at US).

I have taken college accredited classes on labor issues, Leadership I, Leadership II, Advanced Leadership, Train the Trainer and numerous other classes at Placid Harbor.

I was trained by the man who organized the IAM at US in 1949 and has negotiated almost every CBA at US. Been trained by numerous Labor Leaders from all across the country including labor lawyers and bankruptcy attornies.

Helped coordinate the strike at my local in 1992.

I have won awards for my work on behalf of the membership and the IAM.

Been to numerous conferences where training and other events occur.

Voluntered my own personal time on numerous occasions to work on behalf of the membership.

Lobbied our Senators and Congressman on behalf of Airline employees, met with Presidential Candidates to further our issues.

Marched on Washington for airline workers after 9/11 on several occasions, marched with the striking Newspaper workers in the big newspaper strike in Detroit, to support their efforts in reaching a contract.

I have served the membership and the IAM as a shop steward with over 10 years of tenure, local lodge trustee, recording secretary, communication postions for the local and district lodges and served on the M&R Negotiating Committee, (the first time ever that someone in my classification was chosen to be on the committee. The IAM was organized in 1949 at US).

I have taken college accredited classes on labor issues, Leadership I, Leadership II, Advanced Leadership, Train the Trainer and numerous other classes at Placid Harbor.

I was trained by the man who organized the IAM at US in 1949 and has negotiated almost every CBA at US. Been trained by numerous Labor Leaders from all across the country including labor lawyers and bankruptcy attornies.

Helped coordinate the strike at my local in 1992.

I have won awards for my work on behalf of the membership and the IAM.

Been to numerous conferences where training and other events occur.

Voluntered my own personal time on numerous occasions to work on behalf of the membership.

Lobbied our Senators and Congressman on behalf of Airline employees, met with Presidential Candidates to further our issues.

Marched on Washington for airline workers after 9/11 on several occasions, marched with the striking Newspaper workers in the big newspaper strike in Detroit, to support their efforts in reaching a contract.
700, With all your training and work on behalf of the membership, I would like to know if you agreed on how the AGC's handled the Force Majeur issue right after 911..

I'm sure you remember, .. that's when IAM members in PIT were given special treatment concerning their seniority, while their "brothers" in CLT were not allowed to use their seniority in the same manner that PIT mechanics were.

This was due to the AGC's in PIT and CLT NOT doing their jobs, and failed to come up with a method whereby ALL IAM members were treated the same during the Force Majeur peroid..

Maybe the AGC's at Usairways need some refresher courses on some of the training classes that you took, [Along with a little Common Sense].

Do you think "Chick" would of been proud on how the AGC's [mis]-handled the Force Majeur fiasco ??

700UW-very impressive, your expertise is what is badly needed on this board. So how are we all going to win this game with the sandcastle? I am sure you have pondered many a day over the situations arising with our fellow brothers and sisters. I say we get "someone" who would be interested in challenging a very act called the "RLA". It is long overdue.

"With regard to the AWA contract, trying to bargain a contract for the West only would be an exercise in futility. Now that USA and AWA are one airline, we have to bargain one contract. Any effort to bargain for West only will logically lead to negotiations to combine East and West. Obviously a contract that combines East and West is possible - we already did it. I hope to see the parties back to transition bargaining next month. Hope all is well. Tom."

Tim,

Now you are saying five year for West parity, which I happen to agree with you, while IAM expects West to become cannon fodder for a future strike if East doesn't get what it wants in a few years? IAM is saying that "trying to bargain a contract for the West only would be an exercise in futility" and so West can continue to wait indefinately?

I would love to strike tomorrow in the middle of holidays, but not because for the love of either the East or IAM, but because I tire of Parker's game in refusing to unilaterally create pay parity. But now IAM is saying only a strike if it benefits East through a combined contract, but screw Section 6 in the meanwhile???? I am to honor this future strike in a few years while West lived in poverty and East made a decent wage?! What would have East done for West, not to mention, the IAM? For those on the West who refused to sign IBEW cards just remember this is what the IAM thinks about you... that you are a tool and expendable cannon fodder for East and IAM.

So eruditely rants Jester!

you should note jester that the 5 year time period mentioned by Tim is IF the IAM wins the COC …I don’t see that happening , and once the east loses the COC we will be completely “free†albeit within the legal restrictions of the RLA (railway labor act ?) to act and we WILL act … I’ve heard some really far out there ideas that are legal ,yet completely despicable to get what we need , so far I’d say we’ve been very effective in holding the radical wing back , but soon I think it will be time to take the dog off of the leash … :jerry:

First of all the East will win the COC.

And if they lose, please show me where in the RLA does losing an arbitration case let you free to act?

It does not.

Better educate yourself.

i said

"we will be completely “freeâ€￾ albeit within the legal restrictions of the RLA"

and we will act , just what those actions will be , well that's our secret ....

All you can do is work by the rules, been there done that.

Better go ask UA and NW's AMTs about the injunctions their companies sought and got when it was shown they were doing a slowdown.

Glass is foaming at the mouth.

oh my gosh , you mean work slowdowns are illegal ???? :shock: do you mean to say that this is common knowledge that those types of actions would breach the RLA ?????

Oh no ! it’s now hopeless ! Wow never saw THAT one coming , ha ha ha … :lol:

700 said "All you can do is work by the rules, been there done that"

I give you low marks for creativity … :down:

I guess we will need to wait for our Organizing Committe to tell us what to do next, since their hairbrained idea to court the IBEW went so well!

Better go ask UA and NW's AMTs about the injunctions their companies sought and got when it was shown they were doing a slowdown.

Glass is foaming at the mouth.
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Airline/...News_Issue8.pdf
Looks like IBT is up to something at UA

Before an organization can act
as the bargaining agent for an
employee group, it must be
certified by the National Mediation Board (NMB) to do so. This
certification can be attained only through a representation election
conducted by the NMB. Once certified, an organization is
obligated to act on behalf of its members (you) and bargain on
your behalf. Once an agreement is ratified, any additional bargaining
can occur only once the contract’s amendable date is
reached and one or both parties have served a Section 6 Notice to
bargain. An exception to that rule is that the parties may bargain
voluntarily at any time.
From your perspective, the purpose of bargaining is to improve
your quality of life and the working conditions in your workplace.
You do this by your union successfully bargaining over
wages, work rules, and benefits, not mention job security. Your
union has a fiduciary responsibility to do this on your behalf.
Your interests should be the union’s interests.

Can any organization
compel United to bargain on this or other issues? Yes, if the International
Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) is certified in an election,
it can compel United to bargain by serving a Section 6
Notice. This is so because the Teamsters are not a party to your
current agreement, and therefore, can compel bargaining under
the RLA,

Tim,

Now you are saying five year for West parity, which I happen to agree with you, while IAM expects West to become cannon fodder for a future strike if East doesn't get what it wants in a few years? IAM is saying that "trying to bargain a contract for the West only would be an exercise in futility" and so West can continue to wait indefinately?

I would love to strike tomorrow in the middle of holidays, but not because for the love of either the East or IAM, but because I tire of Parker's game in refusing to unilaterally create pay parity. But now IAM is saying only a strike if it benefits East through a combined contract, but screw Section 6 in the meanwhile???? I am to honor this future strike in a few years while West lived in poverty and East made a decent wage?! What would have East done for West, not to mention, the IAM? For those on the West who refused to sign IBEW cards just remember this is what the IAM thinks about you... that you are a tool and expendable cannon fodder for East and IAM.

So eruditely rants Jester!

Take the following FWIW:
What I'm saying is that the IAM believes the COC will be won. But my understanding is that even though the IAM negotiating committee is not privy to the following, the following is being worked out.
1. a new TA sometime before the arbitration award ONLY for 141 [this will not include the M & R]. My understanding is the new TA will be pushed with the uncertainty of the arbitration award and will have the number $20.00. The IOU's at the backend of the contract will be 'front ended' so that everyone will have one additional vacation, double time also. Other specifics also. At some point before the arbitration award is announced, my understanding is that a 'negotiations session' will take place that is staged and will lead to the new "TA". This all can be pulled, if it is even agreed to verbally. However, under no circumstance can I forsee the IAM attempting to "Successfully" negotiate and ratify a concessionary TA that gives up millions, after the COC has been awarded. Remember, the COC is worth $210 million for fleet service east [$40,000 per east sider] and to put that in perspective, a normal contract 'in good times' nets only about between $30-50 million to the good.
Such negotiations will be an action of futility as the vast majority of east siders will not want to enter negotiations until 2015 and would not be willing to give up the back pay awards of over $30,000 in some cases, plus wages leading to $26hr. Remember, the east siders voted over 87% rejection of the last contract just with the hope of the COC award so whoever is smoking the crack pipe and believing the east siders will throw away a winning lottery ticket, after it knows 100% that it is the winner, is fooling themselves.
I know there are those who say the company would never agree to this COC award, but remember, the reason for the award is a greivance in which the company has already agreed to it, so no further agreement by the company is needed.

At any rate, the east can only withhold services if the west goes on a cooling off which leads to self-help. In the east contract, the east siders DO NOT have to cross picket lines, thus a strike by the west would effectively be a strike by the east. Again, the east can't go on strike in transition talks.
It is not permissible by contract.

regards,

No union can compel a company into section 6 negotiations. The company only has to negotiate 60 days prior to the amendable date.

A change in representation does not open a CBA for renegotiation, I have posted numerous cases that have proven that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.