In flight questions (2)

phillyguy

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
1. I was on a PHL-PIT flight today A-319. The cock pit door had what appeared to be either a very large peep-hole or camera. Noramlly the peep hole is about the size of the one in your front door at home. This was more like a camera lens. Is this new and if so are the other planes being coverted over or was this just an unique plane? I don''t ever recall seeeing it again.
2. On my connection I observed something unique. Since 9/11, I seem to notice that if the pilot had to leave the cockpit to go to the restroom, a beverage cart was put across the aisle to prevent access to the galley area and it seemed that a flight attendant went into the cockpit while the pilot was out. Seemed very logical to me and a good safety measure.
Today, the pilot open the cock pit door and stood there and chatted with 2 of the flight attendants for a few minutes and then went in the restroom. No beverage cart was pulled out and no flight attendant went into the cockpit. Actually while the pilot was in the restroom the 2nd flight attendant went back into the first class cabin to collect trash. This was an A-321.
Is the beverage cart/flight attendant in the cockpit a U policy or just something that the crew decides to do?
Obviously nothing happened but I was just surprised.
Thanks

I've seen similar scenarios. Usually, an FA plays 'blocker' while another FA opens the cockpit door to take food in, or pick something up. I've never seen the cart trick that you describe, though.

I've been up front waiting for the bathroom when I've been asked to stand back by row 1 while they take food into the cockpit. Again - one FA blocked, the other went in.

I guess the process is to be sure that 2 FAs are present when the cockpit is being opened/closed.

phillyguy--

You score points for being so observant! And who says passengers aren't paying attention? ;) In answer to your questions:

1) The door you saw with the large peephole was one of the newly installed reinforced, bulletproof and blastproof cocktpit doors. The peephole is also bulletproof and is substantially larger than the old ones. Ain't nothin' gettin' through that door! This is being done, of course, in response to an FAA directive. They are in the process of replacing all the cockpit doors on all the aircraft, so you'll start seeing more and more of the new ones and fewer of the old ones in the coming months.

2) Yes, sometimes the captain tells us he wants us to block the cockpit door with a cart when they come out to stretch or use the lav, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they want one of us to go into the cockpit while they're out and sometimes they don't. It all depends on what we're told by the captain in the pre-flight briefing at the beginning of our trip.

It's good to hear passengers are still paying attention to what's going on up around that door. Thanks!

The lead F/A on my DFW-PIT flight Friday night said they are installing the new computerized cockpit doors. Our 737 had it and it's looks like a fortress! So that's what you must have seen.

I saw the same blocking maneuver on my UA flight the other day too. Seems wise.

To re-enforce Stewguys86's observations. I can tell you all...Both Employee's and our valued Customers whom read these boards. The Cockpit Door Mods are going great. The construction stanadards are beyond excellent!! The thought behind the materials and installation hardware and process , are absolutely Top Notch I have had the pleasure of witnessing the before during and after process on two of our B757's in CLT recently. To say I'm impressed , would be a complete understatement.

TPA is doing the Airbus (narrow bodies)....and all indications of the final product on that fleet are extremely positive as well. I wish I could get a chance to see it for myself....but knowing the quality in place from the vendor...and the high calibre of work done by TPA. I can give you every assurance that this is going to be one very secure aircraft type.

This is a classic example of the limited to non-existant affects that Chapter 11 is having on operations...and day to day business as a whole. Sure we the employee's maybe taking our lumps...and maybe frequency is suffering to match the demands in certain markets.....but in the final summation.. USAirways is still providing a great/ superior product for our loyal and appreciated customers .

Thanks to you all for your continued support of USAirways...we will look forward to serving you again in both the near and long term future.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/27/2002 11:50:52 PM AOG-N-IT wrote:

To re-enforce Stewguys86's observations. I can tell you all...Both Employee's and our valued Customers whom read these boards. The Cockpit Door Mods are going great. The construction stanadards are beyond excellent!! The thought behind the materials and installation hardware and process , are absolutely "Top Notch" I have had the pleasure of witnessing the before during and after process on two of our B757's in CLT recently. To say I'm impressed , would be a complete understatement.

TPA is doing the Airbus (narrow bodies)....and all indications of the final product on that fleet are extremely positive as well. I wish I could get a chance to see it for myself....but knowing the quality in place from the vendor...and the high calibre of work done by TPA. I can give you every assurance that this is going to be one very secure aircraft type.

This is a classic example of the limited to non-existant affects that Chapter 11 is having on operations...and day to day business as a whole. Sure we the employee's maybe taking our lumps...and maybe frequency is suffering to match the demands in certain markets.....but in the final summation.. USAirways is still providing a great/ superior product for our loyal and appreciated customers .

Thanks to you all for your continued support of USAirways...we will look forward to serving you again in both the near and long term future.
----------------
[/blockquote]
The new doors are a great improvement.We are installing them on all of our aircraft at continental also.There are other areas That I think need to be addressed also.If firearms are to be carried onboard.For obvious reasons I won't state what I think they are.I usally sent that to the white house to be addressed.It's nice to see things the small man in the link of command being acted.If you have an idea you can sent it to the white house.They will read it.I was surprised to see something I sent acted on in 2 days.

Just curious as to whether or not the new doors have the
ad-hoc bar that was added post 9/11, or have they been deemed obsolete with the added strength of the new doors?

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but it would be better not to discuss these security issues here. Yes, there is a new door, but its capabilities and our procedures are confidential.

I hope you understand and I really don't mean to offend anyone.

Thanks,
A320 Driver

A320 I was thinking the same thing! Even though no body is giving top secret info things like this should be kept low profile dont u think ! Thanks guys!

Guys, I'm not taking any offense to your views. I also don't think an F/A or a Galley Cart being between the 1st Class Section and your door being discussed here...is any great breach of your security measeures. Had I been intersted in breaching anything? I could have easily elaborated on the construction methods and material make-up itself. Like I said..I saw the materials..and watch the entire installation process , but I'm smart enough to know when enough said , is enough said!! My contribution was to promote confidence for the employee's , pilots..and our customers. This again is something that people need to be able to rest confident about. I see no point where any boundaries were crossed by anyone.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but if you fly frequently, particularly in F, it's hard not to discern the security measures, without any help.

Phone rings. FAs throw any chatting pax out of the galley and wait for the front lav to clear. Drink carts come out. Pilot comes out. FA (and sometimes meals/drinks) go in. Pilot hits the lav, chats with FA, whatever. Picks up phone. Reverse the process.

Once in a blue moon, you can replace a certain bell pattern with the phone.

I'm hoping the new door has some kind of sturdy lock. That, and the strength of the door, should make all this discussion moot, as nobody out to be able to breach the door.

OK, Anyone who flies often enough can see the drill. However, there are also things that can't be seen going on, and we are infact restricted from discussing ANY new security measure. It is mandated by the FAA, TSA, FBI, etc. etc. Airline security is simply on a need-to-know basis from now on.

I agree it's important for the traveling public to know they are safe, and as dedicated airline professionals, we are ensuring that a 9/11 scenario NEVER - EVER- happens again. Not tomorrow. Not Next year. Not 20 years from now. NEVER!

So, suffice it to say yes, there are new doors; yes, they are bullet proof/explosive proof/terrorist proof; yes, we have many new security measures and procedures; yes, the public should feel safe getting on an airplane.

'Nuff said. Safe flying and pleasant travels to all!