A332 crew rest module

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Do all the A330-200's have the crew rest bunks behind the cockpit? I ask this because I found it interesting that seat 1A is still held for pilot rest on recent A330-200 flights I've been on, even though there were 2 bunk beds right behind the cockpit. I saw these because the door to the compartment was open and the bunks were empty when I went to the lav while the relief pilot was sleeping blissfully in 1A.

I would think that management would want to sell seat 1A when the rest bunks exist. But if they aren't on every 330-200, then I can see why system keeps the seat blocked (just like 3D does on the 757-200 ETOPS).

Some pilots are claustrophobic so they need 1a to get adequate rest. It is a very small space and with two pilots in there is even tighter. I personally like the dog house. It's real quiet and I can get some well deserved rest
Wopr

Some pilots are claustrophobic so they need 1a to get adequate rest. It is a very small space and with two pilots in there is even tighter. I personally like the dog house. It's real quiet and I can get some well deserved rest
Wopr

Interesting. Will it, then, always be in the contract to keep 1A blocked on the 330-200 even when there are rest bunks?

It's in our contract to have a crew rest seat on trans atlantic flights, the 330-200s are the only one in the flleet with bunks, and they are kind of small and not that comfortable to some bigger folks.

It's in our contract to have a crew rest seat on trans atlantic flights, the 330-200s are the only one in the flleet with bunks, and they are kind of small and not that comfortable to some bigger folks.
So why even have bunks if they're of no use?

Try eating a meal while laying down in a small bunk. Rest does not always mean sleep.

The only time 1a is blocked is on the TLV flight.
It is very comfortable eating in the bunk. There are tables that fold out and the bunk converts into a seat. I have no complaints and feel very fortunate to have it. I hope the 330-300 gets it one day also

Try eating a meal while laying down in a small bunk. Rest does not always mean sleep.
The only time 1a is blocked is on the TLV flight.
It is very comfortable eating in the bunk. There are tables that fold out and the bunk converts into a seat. I have no complaints and feel very fortunate to have it. I hope the 330-300 gets it one day also

Glad to hear it is comfortable. So why is 1A blocked?

Glad to hear it is comfortable. So why is 1A blocked?
It's in their contract.
If you see how small the bunks are, you would understand why some pilots are not using the bunks. And the bunks look like they were made for horse jockeys not 50+ year old guys. No offense. The only thing you can possibly eat in those bunks is maybe a hangnail on your thumb!! :lol:

Wopr
This statement begs the question of why someone would choose a career as a pilot, since the cockpit itself could induce epsiodes of claustrophobia.

Lots of windows up front. Not to many in the bunk area.
Yea, I hear ya. I'm just sayin. If it were me and I was tired, I would welcome a quiet place to lay down without the normal distractions of an aircraft cabin (i.e. screaming kids, unwelcome smells...). Seems some people need more, hell take out a whole row and make a suite up there, lets not forget where we are and what we are doing. It would be like me saying, ya know, the aft cargo bin is a bit cramped, think ya can widen the door a little to make it more airy when I throw bags?

Latest posts