International Meltdown...Is US ready for China?

B

bryan240sx

OK...my anti-China thread was sent to the cornfield by others. Let's keep this thread civil and on-topic.

The last two days have been a total disaster for US Airways...and we're going to be seeing more of this... The international expansion that his Dougness threw together is coming to fruition. Let's be entirely honest... There's no airline out there that comes close to an operation that's falling apart like US Airways is...

Look at the numbers... International flights with below 30% on-time ratings, etc. The press release found here, is a total lie.

Someone tell me that I'm wrong, as a customer-service minded person and a frequent traveler of US Airways to think that US Airways is absolutely incapable of handling a route like this?

Let's lay it right on the line...by the time this route starts flying...I don't think US Airways will exist... I think it will be merged with another carrier or in the process of merging and Dougie will be long gone. That being said, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that any carrier is going to fly anything from PHLthy to China, PERIOD. Whoever buys US Airways is going to shut down PHL as an international hub...it's a fact that we're all going to have to learn to live with. Doug Parker's been quite open that his intent was to "flip" the airline as quickly as possible.

While the "go it alone" strategy was put together rather quickly in the wake of the Delta catastrophe, I don't see anywhere in the big scheme of things this airline can make a route to China work.

So, no more talk of my petition...sign it if you want...but let's talk about the state of the airline...and KEEP IT CLEAN and DO NOT GET MY THREAD LOCKED!

Yea this is the new US Airways....and our grand plan is to park even more planes...cut more service from PIT and other northeast stations so we have no choice at all but send even more naive customers who soon will be ex-customers to the bottom pit of the industry hub...PHL...

Way to go Doug.....have another beer :down:

are we ready for china? munich went out at 6:45 am this morning what do you think? freakin joke. :down:

OK...my anti-China thread was sent to the cornfield by others. Let's keep this thread civil and on-topic.

The last two days have been a total disaster for US Airways...and we're going to be seeing more of this... The international expansion that his Dougness threw together is coming to fruition. Let's be entirely honest... There's no airline out there that comes close to an operation that's falling apart like US Airways is...

Look at the numbers... International flights with below 30% on-time ratings, etc. The press release found here, is a total lie.

Someone tell me that I'm wrong, as a customer-service minded person and a frequent traveler of US Airways to think that US Airways is absolutely incapable of handling a route like this?

Let's lay it right on the line...by the time this route starts flying...I don't think US Airways will exist... I think it will be merged with another carrier or in the process of merging and Dougie will be long gone. That being said, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that any carrier is going to fly anything from PHLthy to China, PERIOD. Whoever buys US Airways is going to shut down PHL as an international hub...it's a fact that we're all going to have to learn to live with. Doug Parker's been quite open that his intent was to "flip" the airline as quickly as possible.

While the "go it alone" strategy was put together rather quickly in the wake of the Delta catastrophe, I don't see anywhere in the big scheme of things this airline can make a route to China work.

So, no more talk of my petition...sign it if you want...but let's talk about the state of the airline...and KEEP IT CLEAN and DO NOT GET MY THREAD LOCKED!

And shutting down the PHL hub will benefit, the thousands of employees in PHL, the consumer, PA's economy how?

Keep in mind, this China service isn't only benefiting US Airways, there are many other's that will benefit from this new service in PHL and PA.

I know you've got something against US, now the question is whether PHL and PA bug you as well? Maybe all 3 do?

Btw, changing a thread title won't help people forget your true intentions stated in that other thread.

Below is yesterday's ops report. Keep in mind US had the best on time performance for 2006 among Legacy carriers and 2nd to WN among all carriers. This year's trouble is mainly due to the res migration and will be history soon. Yesterday's ops show we are improving. All this US bashing is magnified on this board to deceptive levels. I deal with customers on a daily basis, many who are frustrated but realize it's not much better anywhere else. There is no reason why we wouldn't provide good service to China.

US MAINLINE
August 2 DAY MTD GOAL PYM

Flights 1522 3008 3069

Cancellations 14 45 49

Completion Factor 99.1 98.5 99.0 98.4

D0 44.1 40.7 59.7 58.0

D5 63.3 58.9 74.0 74.8

A14 (DOT Arrivals) 76.1 70.0 82.0 84.6
Load Factor 85.1 85.4 82.0

US REGIONAL
August 2 DAY MTD GOAL PYM

Flights 2295 4570 4793

Cancellations 28 61 82

Completion Factor 98.8 98.7 97.6 98.3

D0 71.2 70.8 68.0 71.8

D5 76.7 76.3 73.0 77.0

A14 (DOT Arrivals) 82.3 81.2 78.0 80.7
Load Factor 77.0 76.0 71.8

And shutting down the PHL hub will benefit, the thousands of employees in PHL, the consumer, PA's economy how?
Dude, shareholders will benefit. Who the heck cares about employees or customers?
Keep in mind, this China service isn't only benefiting US Airways, there are many other's that will benefit from this new service in PHL and PA.
Such as who? I'd guess EWR would still be the preferred choice no matter what US throws out there.
I know you've got something against US, now the question is whether PHL and PA bug you as well? Maybe all 3 do?
PHL is a hole. That is a fact. They need to implode that airport and build a real one. That said US doesn't deserve a nice new airport.
Btw, changing a thread title won't help people forget your true intentions stated in that other thread.
Hmm, all I see is a guy that wants a decent product on domestic routes. I couldn't care a bit about international as I'd never fly a US "flag carrier" over a foreign carrier anyway. At least if their product was even usable on domestic, maybe some would actually be willing to pay top dollar.

The kool-aid they have been feeding you is amusing, but you really need a dose of the real world before you start lecturing those who actually pay for flights with their own money, not their weekly allowance.

Ops info above didn't post the way I thought. In a nutshel, mainline had a 76.1 pct on time and Regional had 82.3 pct on time. 99.1 pct and 98.8 pct completion factors. Granted, just one day and we need to respond better in poor weather conditions but we're headed in the right direction

I'm sure the folks stuck in MUC for the last 48 hours or the folks who had to wait till this morning to fly to MUC after a 10 hour delay will be very impressed and all will be forgiven.

Oh and let's not forget about the SJU issues this week.

You guys can't organize a one car funeral. And quite frankly given all the mech issues on the TATL flights I'm not so sure there are not some real safety issues that the FAA needs to look into.

Unless you people want to support United's attempt to allegedly Steal US's almost 100% certain award of 7 frequencies to China and subsequent future Asian growth, IGNORE this poster and this thread.

Yesterday's ops show we are improving.
Making broad generalizations from 1 day's performance, and without any benchmark to judge even that sliver of info against - like the performance of the rest of the industry, is a sure way to dine on humble pie. I notice that the MTD O/T figure as of the 2nd is 70.0%, meaning that the O/T percentage for the 1st was 63.9% - somewhat less than satisfactory. July, as of the 30th, shows a "stellar" 66.6% O/T rate.

I guess some miraculous turnaround occured in the wee hours between the 8/1/07 and 8/2/07.....

Jim

Unless you people want to support United's attempt to allegedly Steal US's almost 100% certain award of 7 frequencies to China and subsequent future Asian growth, IGNORE this poster and this thread.

Well said.

What is interesting however is the fact that last year when UA wanted IAD-PEK, US Airways went out of their way to support it. This year, UA is so ridiculous self absorbed, they won't return the favor. Some kind of partner!

Gaucho,

With all due respect, the operation continues to be a mess, and shows little if any signs of improvement. Case in point the European operation this past week. Embarrassing!

With regard to the res system, they are spending time and money fixing things which should have been done before they did the migration. Something as simple as preparing the proper paperwork for F/A printouts on departure, as of 7/18, was 1600 man hours away from being accomplished.

Zethya,

Also with all due respect, it is far from certain. While it is possible, and perhaps even likely, if a stronger carrier files for an exception to the new entrant rule, which I believe has already happened, the chances get significantly worse.

The bottom line is that time is running out. The time for apologies and "pardon our dust" is past. Absent SIGNIFICANT initiatives from management to fix things now, give the employees the proper tools they need to do their jobs right, and taking steps to improve morale (yes try to work on labor issues), I fear either another bankruptcy OR a selloff of one or both (East and West) components of the new US by the time the China service is supposed to start.

I have historically been one of US Airways' greatest supporters, and I do continue to wish for their success. I have fought hard to get the attention of those in charge, and have succeeded to a small degree. But I have moved on, and now I fly US only when convenient to do so--mainly because I can't count on them to get me where I need RELIABLY. And if something does go wrong, they are ill equipped to reaccommodate me.

I can only hope it isn't too late to turn this thing around, but if things stay as they are I highly doubt DOT will give the route to US.

Gaucho,

With all due respect, the operation continues to be a mess, and shows little if any signs of improvement. Case in point the European operation this past week. Embarrassing!

With regard to the res system, they are spending time and money fixing things which should have been done before they did the migration. Something as simple as preparing the proper paperwork for F/A printouts on departure, as of 7/18, was 1600 man hours away from being accomplished.

Zethya,

Also with all due respect, it is far from certain. While it is possible, and perhaps even likely, if a stronger carrier files for an exception to the new entrant rule, which I believe has already happened, the chances get significantly worse.

The bottom line is that time is running out. The time for apologies and "pardon our dust" is past. Absent SIGNIFICANT initiatives from management to fix things now, give the employees the proper tools they need to do their jobs right, and taking steps to improve morale (yes try to work on labor issues), I fear either another bankruptcy OR a selloff of one or both (East and West) components of the new US by the time the China service is supposed to start.

I have historically been one of US Airways' greatest supporters, and I do continue to wish for their success. I have fought hard to get the attention of those in charge, and have succeeded to a small degree. But I have moved on, and now I fly US only when convenient to do so--mainly because I can't count on them to get me where I need RELIABLY. And if something does go wrong, they are ill equipped to reaccommodate me.

I can only hope it isn't too late to turn this thing around, but if things stay as they are I highly doubt DOT will give the route to US.

First of all, the operation is truly a mess at times, only in PHL for the most part. This summer admittedly was not going to be easy and it will soon pass as historic times, in a bad way. We will see the operation inprove slowly but surely and next summer will be handled very differently, but gate space is the biggest problem and that caused the company to "cram" in additional flights to Europe for fear of losing gates.

First of all, the operation is truly a mess at times, only in PHL for the most part. This summer admittedly was not going to be easy and it will soon pass as historic times, in a bad way. We will see the operation inprove slowly but surely and next summer will be handled very differently, but gate space is the biggest problem and that caused the company to "cram" in additional flights to Europe for fear of losing gates.
no. the problem is DoUgIe.
why do some of you westies defend this disgrace of a man and leader so vehementy?!?!?