Is this the new color scheme?

----------------
On 3/21/2003 10:19:38 AM funguy2 wrote:

Having said that, I would also think that changing their name from "Northwest" to "NWA" will have many passengers, particularly in non-hub locations saying, "Who?"

----------------​

"NWA", huh? Guess they''ve cleared it with Dr. Dre and Ice Cube...

Seriously, though, has NW(A)''s first 330, now flying over in France, been painted yet? Pix I''ve seen have all been in the lovely green Airbus primer (the "photo" that started this thread is obviously not a real photo).

----------------
On 3/22/2003 1:10:57 AM HPearlyretiree wrote:

Jeezus that is an ugly plane, it looks like a big syringe full of blood

----------------​
I think it is a nice change and very clean and sleek look.

dfw79,

I don''t know what you do but it is now obvious that you don''t know what you are talking about. Airplanes at Airlines do not have to be painted at every heavy MX check. So go paint yourself if you think you understand everything associated with the cost of changing a fleets color scheme.

The other point stands, do you want to comment on the ethics of stepping on the backs of workers while management gets rich.

As for the scheme itself, "I think it looks great", good choice.

Oh boy, I have seen this before, at USAirways. Burn all the cash changing the paint, logo, uniforms etc. Guess what comes next? Layoffs, lease returns, pay cuts. Hope it goes better for NW than United and Airways. Good luck to all!! New aircraft come any color you want, no charge.

Who cares about new paint on airplanes? So you all think it is alright to put new paint on a plane at the cost of another persons job? No wonder your management team gave themselves a bonus, they knew the employees that would be left after another 4900 of their fellow workers were let go are to brain dead. You people are no better then the managers so a paint job on a plane is worth the job of another? Where are your brains in your feet? When are you people going to get it the passangers don''t care either. I am know the only way you will care is if you don''t have a job also and you and your family have to sell your home and don''t have health or dental insurance. Maybe then you will get it.

IMHO, the current bowling shoe color scheme isn''t too bad. Just a couple of thoughts about the new paint scheme though:

1) NWA? Is Northwest trying to corner the gangsta'' rapper market? I can just picture the Japanese pax at NRT saying "Ahh NWA, this airplane must be straight out of Compton."

2) Is it just me or does the arrow inside the circle/arc seem to be pointing SOUTH?

3) Notice the less prominant / minimal display of the American flag?

4) Since the alliance with the Dutch is iron-clad, why not just paint KLMNWA on the fuselage anyways?

----------------
On 3/22/2003 7:14:51 AM copilot wrote:

dfw79,

I don''t know what you do but it is now obvious that you don''t know what you are talking about. Airplanes at Airlines do not have to be painted at every heavy MX check. So go paint yourself if you think you understand everything associated with the cost of changing a fleets color scheme.

The other point stands, do you want to comment on the ethics of stepping on the backs of workers while management gets rich.

As for the scheme itself, "I think it looks great", good choice.

----------------​
I never said every check...so don''t put words in my mouth. However, during certain checks that each plane goes through...they must be stripped of all paint and repainted. That is when the repainting will take place.

I''m not going to comment on management getting rich and employees getting laid off...it has nothing to do with airplane painting - since that is something that has to happen anyway.

----------------
On 3/22/2003 7:14:51 AM copilot wrote:

Oh boy, I have seen this before, at USAirways. Burn all the cash changing the paint, logo, uniforms etc. Guess what comes next? Layoffs, lease returns, pay cuts. Hope it goes better for NW than United and Airways. Good luck to all!! New aircraft come any color you want, no charge.

WO/drone
----------------

Please read before you post. Only the paint scheme is changing...NOTHING ELSE. All uniforms, airport signage, etc. will remain the same.

Everyone is also missing the part that Northwest Airlines is on the aircraft just under the NWA. All we are seeing is the gradual introduction of the "NWA" brand....with the website being nwa.com and other things coming down the pike (i''m sure)...it will be important to educate consumers NWA means Northwest Airlines - since it has been a few decades since they''ve used it maintstream.

----------------
On 3/22/2003 2:47:59 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

1) NWA? Is Northwest trying to corner the gangsta' rapper market? I can just picture the Japanese pax at NRT saying "Ahh NWA, this airplane must be straight out of Compton."

Hey! Stop stealing my one-liners! Who do you think you are, Robin Williams?

2) Is it just me or does the arrow inside the circle/arc seem to be pointing SOUTH?
----------------​

It's just you. It's like one of those "lady at the mirror/skull" trick drawings...
9.gif

But, speaking of the 'compass logo': One neat thing about the current logo is that the capital 'N' in the logo, combined with the 'compass point', gives you the 'W' as well. This clever trick is lacking in the new version, as it doesn't work with the lower-case 'n'.

At Airways it was a name change, whitch did involve logos, uniforms, etc. The employees thought that changing everything at once was not a good use of $$$. United started with paintjobs and went the whole logo/symbol change too. Think that Northwest will just change paint only? Maybe. Airlines are very sensitive of how they are percieved, and are loath to have the public confused about logos and such. Times are bad for everyone, one would think management would be careful with $$ spent. I was just making an observed comment, not a prediction. Yes planes are repainted on schedule, red pigments are the most expensive, so possibly this change will be gradually done. Good luck to all!!

Again, I think the plane looks good, but, I'm not convinced about the logo.

1) honestly, in regard to the logo, I didn't 'get' that the upper right corner of the "W" in the logo pointed northwest. Of course it does, but I don't know if the public gets that.

2) In regard to the tail, if the compass point thing is important, unless the arc is reversed on the other side of the plane, the compass point will be pointing to the Northeast.

3) I have always thought that NWA could be confused with rappers from Compton.

4) I don't care for gratuitous lower case. IF nwa stands for Northwest Airlines... it should be in upper case.

So, I'm not sure that this is exactly what we'll see on planes.... could this be a general idea... but not the actual design.... a trial balloon?

Today's advertising styles don't really use the uppercase or lowercase grammar rules, as the lower case is more modern in that font so they choose to use it. Nice design but kind of an odd time to repaint the fleet.

----------------
On 3/23/2003 11:06:21 AM RowUnderDCA wrote:

1) honestly, in regard to the logo, I didn''t ''get'' that the upper right corner of the "W" in the logo pointed northwest. Of course it does, but I don''t know if the public gets that.
----------------​

Just to show how different everyone''s perception is, this member of the public ''got'' the compass point pointing NW immediately, but it took awhile for me to realize that there is also a ''W'' in there. Anyway, I still think it''s a clever logo.

It took me years to notice the "W" in the current logo (I thought it was just an "N" and a compass), but I still think whoever came up with it was a genius.

The new color scheme, if that is in fact what it will look like, is so-so. My biggest concern (besides the musical connotations of "NWA," as pointed out above) is how similar it is to the new JAL livery: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/321420/...M/

Plain fuselage, partial circle on a mostly-red tail, black lettering with red accents, and red on the winglets...the average person flying through NRT might not be able to tell the difference! Looks like NW's advertising agency got lazy...