Is this the new color scheme?

333441.jpg

Tadaa!

FYI, more photos--including a 747-400 in the new colors--are now available at http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/upclose/photos...R>Unfortunately the 747 photo appears to have been taken (a) with a wide angle lens, making the whole plane look distorted, and (B) under very unfavorable lighting conditions (overcast skies), making the livery look somewhat dingy.

Also, someone over on airliners.net posted a photo of the repainted A319--not the greatest photo either, but the plane actually looks pretty nice.

I''m surprised NWA hasn''t been quicker to update their home page with the new logo. Makes me wonder if maybe they''re taking a wait-and-see approach with this whole thing...

----------------
On 4/4/2003 10:17:59 AM AAG2000 wrote:
I''m surprised NWA hasn''t been quicker to update their home page with the new logo. Makes me wonder if maybe they''re taking a wait-and-see approach with this whole thing...

----------------​

As I understand it, the current logo will remain. Only the "modified" compass will be on the aircraft.

----------------
On 3/31/2003 12:04:27 PM funguy2 wrote:

Should the new paint scheme be implemented over the course of regular maintenance checks, that is fine, and probably cost effective. However, that is a VERY long process... Southwest said it will take about 10 years to convert its fleet via this process to their new ''Canyon Blue'' scheme. Normally, airlines do not allow 10 years to convert to a new scheme. USAir repainted all their aircraft TWICE in 10 years.

----------------​

The slow repainting process seemed to work for HP and they are now stronger than they have been in a long time. I was beginning to wonder if they would have yet another paint scheme introduced before they completely converted all of the planes the first time. One good thing about a slow conversion is that the public is slowly introduced and it isn''t such an initial shock. It should prevent the public from becoming dis-oriented and it should help settle any issues about "bad timing" because it would fall into a routine scheduled re-painting.

...as far as caps vs. lower-case...it doesn''t seem to be hurting jetBlue!

----------------
On 4/5/2003 2:52:56 PM AAG2000 wrote:

Very classy!

----------------​

Well, it may be growing on some people, but I still don''t care for it.

I was driving past DTW today, and the 747 in the new scheme was parked at the terminal. From a distance, it tended to blend into the terminal, whereas the old scheme 747s next to it really stood out. That''s what I really don''t care for in the new scheme - it is very indistinct.

At first I did not care for it,but it has grown on me,and now I like it. At least it isn''t the white Euro look,that was soooooooooo played out in the 90s.

One question. Is it true that Airbus does not or cannot have the polished aluminum look? When AA first received theirs they were painted a dull gray,and then later on AA took it upon them selves and apply some metallic coat to make it look polished (according to an old ATW article).

----------------
On 4/5/2003 11:04:56 PM texflyer wrote:

One question. Is it true that Airbus does not or cannot have the polished aluminum look?

----------------​

As far as I know, for some reason Airbus does not offer the polished bare metal option like Boeing does. It may be possible to do what AA did, but because the newer ones (like NWA''s A319''s, A320''s, and soon to arrive A330''s) have so many composite parts, which would have to be painted, it would look kind of splotchy. You can see this to some extent on the AA A300''s--even with most of the fuselage polished, the whole tail section and parts of the nose are painted gray. Personally I think the metallic paint is a better solution.

Passing through DTW on Sunday 6th, I saw an Airbus (reg#N358NB I think) in the new color scheme as well as a 747-400.
It isn''t too bad, and both planes actually stood out. The A319 was around gate A7 (flt #418 to MCO) and it stood out because of its height - the Airbus was surrounded by DC9s.
Then, as I was in the centre of the B/C concourse (good view of the airfield from there) I noticed a 747 taxiing. From where I was standing at first I couldn''t tell what airline - until it turned (I thought initially it was a BA or LH 747). Anyways, the look was kind of elegant.

Couple of questions/comments:
1) How long until all the fleet is changed over? I know that new airplanes will be delivered in the new liverly, but what about the current fleet. How many aircraft can be repainted per month? With decreased traffic, isn''t now a good time to pull a few extra aircraft off line and start re-painting?
2) Noticed that the ''tail'' in not all red. There is a portion of the tail that has the same color as the fuselage before the red starts.
3) Will the ''Airlink/Jet Airlink'' fleet be repainted as well?
4) Bad marketing though - none of the planes were coming / going to Compton

Latest posts