It is time for a new approach.

LaLo,
Don't think this actually happened just because he said it did. This guy loves to spin everything. I think he is just trying to make it sound like their current union tried to act like AMFA and polled the membership for negos ideas, because this is what AMFA does at all contract negos. Just like contract nego observers, only happens with AMFA.

I do not believe anything I read on here without supporting documentation or research. Mine or someone else's. I have worked at the "rumor mill" TULE far too long for that. That is one lesson TULE taught me the hard way.

Some members of this forum have a goal. That goal is to cause dissension and misinformation. Perhaps Swift Steel is a member of this minority. It is the modern form of "spy and sabotage".

Once the judge subpoenas the website on AMR's behalf then the government is involved with suppression of free speech. Second, how many times has AMR asked us to work in unsafe conditions and with unsafe equipment to get their aircraft out? How many times have they understaffed ground workers, asked people to move aircraft with 1 wing walker, and asked the lavatory guy to back up with no guide man? Truth be told, this company asks us to look the other way all the time. If we actually followed AMR's own safety regulations the ramp would grind to a halt. They violate the contract every time they violate work rules. Where is our justice for those infractions?
By the way I know.... I just do not care. My anger has overshadowed any fear I have of being disciplined. This situation just makes me sick. You think the longshoremen would put up with this s**t. Your warning is just a reminder of how weak we as a UNION and a people have gotten. We have gone from fighting for our rights to tucking our tail between our legs and swallowing whatever garbage Corporate America and the government wants to shove down our throats. We can't even strike because the government says we can't. How weak is that?

My perception toward AA/TWU has not changed much since this post. I made some minor sentence structure corrections to the post. Interestingly enough here we are in December and the longshoremen canceled a strike.

I do not believe anything I read on here without supporting documentation or research. Mine or someone else's. I have worked at the "rumor mill" TULE far too long for that. That is one lesson TULE taught me the hard way.

Some members of this forum have a goal. That goal is to cause dissension and misinformation. Perhaps Swift Steel is a member of this minority. It is the modern form of "spy and sabotage".

Good to hear. I have always encouraged people to verify everything. And your correct he is one of the misinformation spreaders.

Now that is some funny shet! How absurd, the sorry bastard :p

By the topic of this thread I think its as good a time as any to bow out. "It is time for a new approach" HSS is gonna hang up his spurs, piss on the fire and call in the dogs because this hunt is over. Nearing 9 years of haggling with the clowns here must come to an end. This is HSS signing off.... ;)
The only thing this butt-nugget EVER did with spurs is make them from AL tape and stick a set on somebody's boots - foam rubber antlers as well.

The best thing I've done re: American Airlines was take the early out and leave that toxic cluster-#### of a company. Even though the early out is now long gone, consider leaving if your finances will, in any way, permit it. Only two months out of there and there have been major and positive changes in my attitude. Leave the place to those willing to sink with the ship supporting their "union" president and company.

One only needs ask themselves what value they place on their sanity.

Reactions: 5 people
Frank I will say I agree with you that after my forced exit (layoff) I too had major and positive changes in my attitude. I don't wish the "ship" to sink however. I do not wish to see people lose their livelihoods. I am hoping that this situation is temporary. I am hoping that lack of people seeking a career in the airline business and lack of licensed qualified people will reverse the trend.

Make no mistake. The reason the company is pushing so hard for unlicensed mechanics is they KNOW a critical shortage of A&P's is coming. That is their way of combating the shortage. SRP's and OSM's were never about saving money. That was only a bonus. The real agenda was to shore up qualified labor deficiencies by having one qualified employee sign the paperwork of unlicensed people.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, there seems to be a concencous here! From those who are now on the outside looking in! ------ One's attitude seems to improve dramaticaly the longer one has been seperated from AAL, and the TWU!!!! ----- My! My! MY! go figured?

If there is any doubt as to who the twu and Jimmy Little take care of just take a look at the early out incentive pre tax payout between AMT's, Maintenance Control and Dispatchers...You will see dispatchers even top maintenance controllers. Gee I wish I had just put in a 5 week investment in a dispatch certification instead of 2 years for an A@P. You AMT's really still want to stay with this union?

AMT Line. ..total 39,530

MC control total 44,.288

Dispatchers total 48,048

Reactions: 2 people
Great. Now we are getting somewhere.
How do we go about redefining ourselves as a UNION regardless of who represents us? (Redefinition)
How should the "bottom up" go about accomplishing this? (Reorganization)
What can we do to change the current leadership structure? (Redistribution)
How do we energize people and get a sense of direction? (Redirection)

I thought a list compilation would address some of these issues (redefinition, reorganization, redirection). You seem like you have put some thought into this. Do you have any suggestions where to begin?

The first step is to identify/target a person in each area-and each shift, if there's more than one- to lead the charge. This person may or may not be your current steward. I would stress that this be the man/woman who's currently the "go to guy" for whatever comes up. For example, right now, in your area, who's the person people generally go to when there's any sort of issue? I don't just mean union-related, I mean anything. Ideally, *that's* the person you want. Not the loudest guy, not the self-styled break room lawyer, etc. This'll go far to spreading the overall message that business as usual is done with.

Once you have that core structure in place, it is imperative that the new group reach out to every last person. Period. I'm willing to bet that most in TULE rarely-if ever- get asked about what's on their mind, or if they do, it's a survey come Section 6 time. Reaching out immediately plants the seed of ownership. After all, being in a union shouldn't be something that just sort of happens; it's something *YOU* (general sense) are a part of/own. The discussion should be honest, and note that like anything of value, being in a union involves some personal accountability/responsibility. BTW, I get that TULE is enormous; that's partly why you break it down into each work area/dock/shift/ whatever. I also know that some people will say piss off, or that the Bubbas will be as much an obstacle to change as the company. Once you get momentum built, they'll realize that they can either get on board, or be left behind; either way, the train's leaving.

Once people see that there's a possibility of real change, the mood will change, and you'll see the momentum build/engagement snowballing...

Okay then, let's get started. What can I do as a laid off employee to contribute? Bare in mind I still have family employed by AA. I want to see this thing gather steam.